6.0L Power Stroke Diesel2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van
Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.
You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!
Is There A Downside to Using ELC Cat-EC-1 Coolant?
I've been following the discussions/ debates over the benefits of switching from Ford Gold Coolant to ELC Cat-EC-1 type coolants. It's time to flush our engine and replace the coolant. Is there any downside to replacing Ford Gold Coolant with ELC Cat-EC-1? I know I will have to spend the better part of the day doing multiple flushes. Here are a few particulars about the truck.
1. Truck is an April, 2003 build and I believe it has the more rugged EGR cooler.
2. Coolant was flushed at the dealer and replaced with Ford Gold Coolant at 60K in Apri, 2009.
3. EOT/ECT delta is about 13 degrees F at 65mph unladened on the flats at ambient temperatures of 90-100 degrees F. The delta increases a bit when towing but not much. Delta also increases a couple of points at 70 mph.
4. As indicated in my truck description below, I have a Dieselsite Coolant Filter that I installed at 67K in May, 2010. There has been little to nothing in the filter when I change it out.
5. Pulled the EGR valve at 67K in May, 2010 and there was a little carbon on it but it was essentially clean and dry.
6. Mileage today is 84K and 50K of that has been pulling the 5th wheel.
7. I'll probably run some cleaners like Restore and Restore + when I do the multiple flushes.
I have a Ford Warranty that will expire on January 1, 2013. I paid around $1,800 for three years and if I decide to purchase another three year warranty, I would expect to pay more as the truck is older.
Thanks for your thoughts!
2003 F250 Lariat, 6.0L, CC, SB, Fx4, ScanGaugeII, Glow Shift Fuel Pressure Gauge, Michelin LTX A/T2's, Monroe Reflex Shocks, Extang Tonneau Cover, Bores SS Bumper Guides, Transfer Flow Fuel Tank, Fomoto Drain Valve, Magnafine Inline PS Filter, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Blue Spring Upgrade, Bosch AL7606N Alternator
Last edited by Texas Bob; 07-06-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Reason: Typo Errors.
Warranty will Expire Jan 1 2013 or Jan 13 2012. You typed 2012 so the warranty is expired? The only reason I ask is you mentioned a MAJOR downside of Cat EC-1 Coolant. I doubt FORD will warranty the truck using cat coolant..... you must use their fluids.
---It's not that life is to short. It is you are dead for so long.
-2011 Harley Davidson Superglide
-2004 F350 XLT 6.0L SRW Offroad FX4 with Long Bed, Sinister Coolant Filter, blue spring, SG2.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.