Sponsored by:

New X owner, getting the 'itch'

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:09 AM
FDCCHIEF
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New X owner, getting the 'itch'

Hello all. This is a great site! I bought my first X about a year ago and am ready to start playing with it. I put in a new front end: new F250 springs, steering stabilizer, ball joints, sway bar links, and new shocks all around-and that took care of my wander. I just ordered a Peacemaker bumper and am looking to spiff up the truck a bit more. My primary use for the truck is taking the family on road trips. I don't have any toys to tow, or have the desire to off-road my vehicle and break stuff either! I bought a 2004 V8 4x4 out of Phoenix with 150K on it for $8900. Not a bad deal I think. Anyway to the point, the only things I want to do are functional things that will make the vehicle more durable and resistant to damage (I got that huge bumper because I live in whitetail country and it's only a matter of time!). I'm open to suggestions from you guys who have spent the time and money on yours. I am not really interested in gigantic tires or lifts, I just want to build a rock solid truck. Thanks in advance, and again great site!
Pics to follow...

Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Welcome to FTE! Tranny, transfer case & differential fluids might need to be changed, i think the door code will tell if you have LS. I would replace the u-joints with grease-able type.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 AM
FDCCHIEF
New User
Curt-
I read the threads about flushing vs changing fluids in the trans. I think that's high on the priority list. I have seen the "check gauges" indicator with the overdrive lamp flashing periodically. I talked to a trans guy who recommended adding Lucas treatment as well. Any thoughts on that?
I just put on a set of Cooper 285s, really like em!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by FDCCHIEF
Curt-
I read the threads about flushing vs changing fluids in the trans. I think that's high on the priority list. I have seen the "check gauges" indicator with the overdrive lamp flashing periodically. I talked to a trans guy who recommended adding Lucas treatment as well. Any thoughts on that?
I just put on a set of Cooper 285s, really like em!
Welcome to FTE. I am over in Dubuque area. Where bouts are you?

The flashing OD light can be caused by many things and "I" don't believe any would have to do with tranny fluid or additive. Bad COP (coil on plug), bad diode in your alternator, bad VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or OSS (output speed sensor).

Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM
FDCCHIEF
New User
I'm in Cedar Rapids. Sounds like a trip to the scanner then for the trouble code. It has been very periodic. Like once in a few months. More in the winter. Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:14 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by FDCCHIEF
I'm in Cedar Rapids. Sounds like a trip to the scanner then for the trouble code. It has been very periodic. Like once in a few months. More in the winter. Thanks for the advice!
You may want to invest in a ScangaugeII for $150. Great tool for monitoring the engine and tranny. There is another monitoring device that is similar and almost half the price.

Don't forget to check out the FTE Iowa Chapter: Iowa Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 07-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Central Texcursion
Junior User
I bought a 2005 limited diesel 4x4 for $9500 last week and I probably need to double that cost to fix it up and get it more the way I want it. 181k and pretty rough.

Let me know the best modes you've made so far.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:00 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
OD flashing means that there are transmission codes stored and you will need to take it somewhere that has a more sophisticated scanner to read those. The auto parts stores will not be able to read them.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:30 AM
FDCCHIEF
New User
Thanks, 818-I'll take it to the stealer and see if I can fanagle a scan in conversation.

Texcursion-My sheet metal and interior were very very clean. It needed a front end and shocks, but mechanically it's very sound. I have had to do lots of little stuff since the purchase-spare tire was non-existant, no third row seat, missing map case on passenger front door, no interior lights (still looking for the dome light assembly), that kind of thing. While it was in the shop getting the front end replaced, I went ahead and added a true Y pipe on the right exhaust bank. I would recommend that- I hear that back pressure is not only restrictive, but can lead to head problems. I was missing a bolt and two were loose. I have been very lucky so far. I ran an ad in Craigslist looking to rent a third row seat to drive my parents to Florida-this dude replied and sold me a perfect match he didn't need for $25!!
The next item is the roof. The Arizona sun cooked my paint up there and I'm thinking Line-X matched color. Any thoughts on that? I'll get my pics up as soon as I can-life is busy these days!