1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Advantage to Moving Wheel Forward

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 AM
bigdaddylove
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advantage to Moving Wheel Forward

I have been thinking of getting a lowering kit from Mid-Fifty that moves the front wheel forward 1.25 inches.

Outside of the obvious aesthetic advantage, is there any improvement in handling and/or ride?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Nope. No other improvements besides the obvious stated. But if you're going to make a spring change, there's no better time to do it.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Keep in mind once you move the spring lowered and forward you have to change out the draglink too. I missed that little bit on my 55 when I changed out the springs a few years back (before I know about FTE) and had to pony up more $$$. I love the springs but honestly I think it rides a little squishier now.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:46 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There must be some change in weight distribution. Shifting weight from the front to the rear axle must improve the handling but maybe moving the front 1-1/4" is not enough to notice.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:58 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by das54
There must be some change in weight distribution. Shifting weight from the front to the rear axle must improve the handling but maybe moving the front 1-1/4" is not enough to notice.
I would say from personal experience if you have to change to new springs, then go from the forwarding springs. I had to change my springs out in the 55 so it solved 2 issues, stance and forward. I wouldn't change out good springs just for the weight distribution factor.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't heard of any advantages besides how much better it makes the truck look....and I will have to say, when it comes to things I "want" it's at the top of my list!

On the same note, who is it that makes the springs? I know mid fifty sells the "down and forward" springs, and I think I've heard of other companies selling them...

Bottom line is, anybody know who sells the cheapest lowering spring pack that moves the wheel forward? I'm sure BigDaddy and I would love to know...

Old 07-06-2012, 05:13 PM
bk53
Senior User
I read they moved the wheels back to improve the turning radius. It seemed noticeable between a 48 and my 53, but probably a fair trade for the look.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 PM
bigdaddylove
Senior User
At this point, I'm not sure that the springs need to be replaced If they did, I would go with moving the axle.

I'm just trying to figure out if I want to spend the money (which includes the installation since I cannot do it) for something that just makes the truck look better -- albeit, much, much better.

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by bk53
I read they moved the wheels back to improve the turning radius. It seemed noticeable between a 48 and my 53, but probably a fair trade for the look.
yeah, that is why they did it. My F-100 can turn on a dime. I can do a complete U-turn on a street where our Dodge Caravan can not.

However, don't you think the Ford engineers would have slightly redesigned the front fender opening radius?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 PM
bigdaddylove
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
However, don't you think the Ford engineers would have slightly redesigned the front fender opening radius?
Yeah, you'd think, right?!?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
yeah, that is why they did it. My F-100 can turn on a dime. I can do a complete U-turn on a street where our Dodge Caravan can not.

Brwahaahaahaaaa!!!!

Funny thing is on the panel the axle lines up with the center of the wheel arch.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Brwahaahaahaaaa!!!!

Funny thing is on the panel the axle lines up with the center of the wheel arch.
Hmmm, very interesting... Why? Does the wheel sit in the center of the fender arch on the bigger trucks?

Old 07-14-2012, 01:57 AM
bigdaddylove
Senior User
Does anyone have any before and after pics? I am trying to decide whether or not it's worth the added expense and delay -- I need inspiration.

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdaddylove
Does anyone have any before and after pics? I am trying to decide whether or not it's worth the added expense and delay -- I need inspiration.

Thanks!
The eye is very sensitive to picking up misalignments. Others, knowing you've worked on the truck, but not knowing it came from the factory that way will see it as some sort of error. Plus once you are aware of it, it will glare at you every time you look at it.
If you are changing the springs anyways and if you want to lower the front end as well as softening the ride, the "forward" springs are not significantly different in price try Mid Fifty: www.midfiifty.com . The only other increased expense required is the extended drag link, and your OEM drag link probably needs rebuilding anyways. Replacing the front springs is about as simple a job as you'll find on the truck. Do you not have any mechanical skills or interest? Out of curiosity why would you buy a truck that requires work then, since hiring others to do any/all work will make ownership very expensive and you are already concerned about a relatively minimal extra expense? If you are paying to have your springs replaced, I would suggest you have the kingpins checked/replaced if they haven't been done recently, and replace the tie rod and ends with the HD one Mid Fifty sells while it's apart and before having it re-aligned, it will be a lot less expensive to have done all at once.
There shouldn't be any significant difference in time required.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 PM
bigdaddylove
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Out of curiosity why would you buy a truck that requires work then, since hiring others to do any/all work will make ownership very expensive and you are already concerned about a relatively minimal extra expense?
I inherited the truck from my father in 1995; he owned it since 1964.

I always wanted to learn how to work on cars, but my father felt it wasn't necessary since all "cars would be run by computers and have modular components in the future." That explains the lack of technical know how.

Add to that the fact that I am 44 years old with stage 4 esophageal cancer and you can understand why I have to have the work done by someone else. The irony here is that prior to my battle, I was over 400 lbs. -- too fat to work on the truck even though I had the money then. Now I am down to 215 lbs. and due to the major loss of muscle mass (and bank account) and the cancer, I am in too poor of health to do any significant work. Hell, I can only polish one mag a day since I get tired so easily.

I was told in January that I have six months to a year to live which is why I am in such a hurry. I want to get this truck back on the road so I can drive it around and enjoy it while I still have time.

Thanks for the information you've provided AX, I do appreciate your expertise. Since the truck only has around 16,000 original miles on it, I'll probably pass on the low and forward springs if the stock springs are fine.

Quick Reply: Advantage to Moving Wheel Forward