Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 AM
New User

HatleyT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help! 79 f150 will not crank!

Ok guys, I have a 79 ford f150-460 big block and I cannot get it to crank at all.. I replaced the ignition coil, starter, starter solenoid, ignition module and Im still not getting any spark to my coil. when I took the dash apartI replaced the ignition switch as well, There is 1 red or orange wire that smokes when the key is turned on, I dont know rather my wireing harness is fried or if maybe just the neutral safety switch is bad.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

ChiefM has a great reputation on FTE.ChiefM has a great reputation on FTE.ChiefM has a great reputation on FTE.ChiefM has a great reputation on FTE.
Sounds like you have something wired wrong: check this out and double check your wiring.

1973-1979 Ford Truck Wiring Diagrams & Schematics - FORDification.net
Join the Georgia Forum- Click Here

Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

dynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to all
SMOKING WIRE!

Sounds like something is creating a ground fault and smoking that wire.

Find and fix the smoking wire problem first.

As for the neutral safety switch.

I would dissconnect it, and put a jumper in it place.

*** MAKE SURE THE TRUCK IS IN PARK, AND TRY CRANKING THE ENGINE. ***

IF that solves your problem, buy a new neutral safety switch.

Click Here to become a RI Chapter Member

Tom - Rhode Island Chapter Leader

"Speed is just a question of money... How fast can you go?" - Mad Max
Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Post Fiend

montana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatleyT View Post
There is 1 red wire that smokes when the key is turned on.
That's the resistor wire, while it's not the cause of your "no crank" issue it does require immediate attention.

It could be the NSS, test as per 'dynamics' instructions above.

If that fails to resolve the issue TEMPORARILY jumper a lead from +bat to +coil, if the engine starts your problem lies in the solenoid and/or the wire between solenoid and coil.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 AM
New User

OK, ive tried hotwiring it from the battery to the coil. It still will only spin over and I checked all the voltage everywhere, the coil is not getting near enough voltage as it needs
Old 07-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Post Fiend

montana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud of
Did you replace the resistor wire? the fact it was smoking is a pretty good indication it's fried.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:40 AM
New User

no I havnt replaced the resistor wire yet, I dont know where it leads cause it branches off into different wires, but I did cut it and run a hot wire to both sides, and it only smoked on the side coming from the switch so its the wiring part that connects to the ignition switch i believe
Old 07-06-2012, 11:40 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks