Too much tongue weight

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:32 PM
vectrex
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much tongue weight

So I recently picked up a used trailer and towed it down to pismo (about 300 miles each way). Other than a CEL for a sticking turbo, it went pretty smoothly. I purchased a tongue scale shortly before I left, but it arrived while I was gone. When I returned, I was shocked at the tongue weight.

About the Truck/Trailer:

Trailer: 2005 Gear box, Onan 5500W generator, fuel station, gas pump, etc...etc

Truck: 2005 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 6.0L.

Cargo: Two 2002 Honda 250EX Quads(2 x ~350lbs = 700lbs) One Suzuki LT-R450 Quad (370lbs) = ~1100lbs

Trailer without the quads in the back. It sits much more level when they're loaded.

Truck under empty trailer weight, it squats a bit more when they're loaded:

The tongue weight, tanks empty, quads loaded up (WOW!!!).

I haven't had the trailer or whole rig weighed yet. The nearest public scale is quite a drive away. But I'm planning on going out there and getting the weight before our next trip. I find it hard to believe it can be more than 12,000 pounds, but then again I severely underestimated the tongue weight.

My WD setup is rated for 1000lbs tongue weight 10000lbs trailer weight, so it looks like I'll have to get a better setup.

The two Honda 250's are in the rearmost part of the trailer behind the axles and the 450 is over the axle. Not much I can do to shift the weight back.

When I made the measurement when adjusting the WD, I believe the squat was about 1.5" on the rear and 1" on the front.

What can I do to make this safer to tow? The truck's hitch states a maximum tongue weight of 1250 and max trailer weight of 12,500 (I believe)

Any ideas or suggestions?

-Eric

Old 07-04-2012, 05:11 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
First of all, you are taking your tongue weight with your trailer level or as towed? If you have too much on the tongue can you shift your load to the back? If your hauler weights too much can you run with very little water until just before your destination? Can you hold off on fuel to reduce weight until you get near your destination?

Steve

Old 07-04-2012, 05:23 PM
vectrex
Senior User
The tongue weight was taken with the trailer unhitched, under the tongue jack, fairly close to level, tanks empty, quads loaded. So the weight would be close to what I would tow it as.

I don't fill the tanks until I get to my destination usually.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:25 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by vectrex
The tongue weight was taken with the trailer unhitched, under the tongue jack, fairly close to level, tanks empty, quads loaded. So the weight would be close to what I would tow it as.

I don't fill the tanks until I get to my destination usually.
In that case, I don't think there is much you can do in terms of trailer weight other than leave things at home, probably not an alternative.

Steve

Old 07-04-2012, 06:28 PM
vectrex
Senior User
Perhaps I can move my LT-R450 into the bed of the truck. Not sure if moving weight out of the trailer and into the tow vehicle is a wise move though.

My two 30gal propane tanks have to weigh more than 100lbs full. they can go into the rear of the trailer or in the bed as well.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
toy haulers are pretty tongue heavy when unloaded... remember how much weight you are going to put at the very tail end of that trailer...

Old 07-04-2012, 06:43 PM
vectrex
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
toy haulers are pretty tongue heavy when unloaded... remember how much weight you are going to put at the very tail end of that trailer...
Thats the thing, the tongue weight with the toys loaded is 1400lbs. This makes me very uneasy. I cant move them any further back. Not taking them defeats the purpose of even having the toy hauler.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
A little late now, but did you buy the truck to pull that trailer or buy the trailer first? Never believe what the RV salesman says.... he'll do most anything to sell you a bigger RV.

I don't see much more you can do except get a 350 or 450 truck. Or MAYBE a 5th wheel RV toyhauler.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 PM
vectrex
Senior User
I bought the truck first. I was going by the weight statement inside the trailer, which was within my trucks limits even accounting for 1000lbs worth of toys. I honestly think the trailer weight isn't going to be the issue. It's gonna be the tongue weight. I've already found numerous threads about the trailers heavy tongue weight. It's my own fault for not checking that before I drove it off the lot. Changing out the truck or trailer is not currently an option unfortunately.

Is there anything I can do to allow the truck to handle the additional 150lbs of tongue weight?

What about installing a heavier hitch setup, like this one:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2005302002

Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
ToyHaulers sure are tongue heavy beasts, our Victory Lane 28SRV (same GVW as yours) tipped the scales at 1425lbs TW the first trip over the scales. It is better now after moving some of the stuff from the front transverse compartment to the garage area and keeping the toys toward the rear more. We are still just over the hitch's 1250lb rating but not by too much now. Our rig has the separate garage so all of the toy weight goes aft of the rear axle centerline. That really helps to unload some TW, of course keeping the water tanks empty (as you have) also is huge.
In an earlier post you mentioned that while setting up your hitch you saw some squat on the rear AND about 1" squat on the front. If this is correct you are already tranfering more weight to the front than you need to, the goal with WD hitches is to bring the front height back down to unhitched height. It also doesn't sound right that the TW should go UP when the toys get loaded, most of their weight is behind the trailer axles. It is also possible that the tongue scale you got is a bit off, a trip to the nearest certified Cat scales will tell the whole story. Heres a link to the scale locator CAT Scale Search and here's another link to the best WD hitch setup article I've seen on the net, not sure if you have ever seen it before but it is a good read, RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Travel Trailer Hitch Set-up Procedure

Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Here's a crazy idea! Buy a 2 1/2 inch receiver off an F350, and that should increase your hitches capacity enough for that trailer. A F-250 is the same truck as a 350 minus the 3 7/8 blocks under the back spring's. Since you were already, talking about buying a different hitch, find a junkyard 2 1/2" receiver too.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Class V Receiver Hitch

CURT PART #: 15601

In stock
Your Price: $256.09
List Price: $426.82
Qty:

This is a Vehicle Specific Product. View the Fits These Vehicles list below or use the Search by Vehicle on the left to find the one for your vehicle.
ProHitches Customer Advantage

FREE SHIPPING
115% Price Match Guarantee

curt

Class V trailer hitches have a the highest-level towing capacity for a standard receiver hitch, they are meant to tow very large trailers, large boats, etc. This Class 5 hitch comes standard with a 2-1/2-inch receiver tube opening.

Add to Wishlist

Email to a Friend

Be the first to review this product

Curt 15601

Double click on above image to view full picture
Zoom Out
Zoom In
More Views

Curt 15601
Curt 15601

Details

Class V trailer hitches have the highest-level towing capacity for a standard receiver hitch. This towing capacity is measured in two ways: Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) - which is the weight of whatever it is that you will be towing. Tongue Weight (TW) - which is how much weight can be placed upon the ball and ball mount on your hitch.

Class V hitches are usually meant for towing large-sized loads like very large trailers, large boats, etc.

This Class V hitch has a 2-1/2-inch square hitch receiver opening. You will need a ball mount that is specifically meant to go with your hitch, a hitch ball, and a pin and clip to ensure that you will be able to tow properly.

Always ensure that the weight carrying capacity for your hitch and your hitch accessories is greater than the load you are carrying to be sure that you will be towing safely. Consult your vehicle owner's manual to determine it's proper towing capacity.
Additional Information
Manufacturer Curt
Finish Gloss Black
Part # 15601
Class Class V
Receiver Tube Opening 2-1/2-inch
Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) 18000
Tongue Weight (TW) 1800
Weight Distribution Gross Trailer Weight (WDGTW) 18000
Weight Distribution Tongue Weight (WDTW) No
Install Time (Minutes) 30
Instructions Installation instructions for #15601 (pdf)
Pin & Clip Included No
Ballmount Included No
Suggested Retail Price $426.82

Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 PM
vectrex
Senior User
WE3ZS,

I haven't weighed the trailer unloaded yet. It was up against a storage unit and I didn't have my tow vehicle. I'm going to take it to the scales friday to see what the weight is. I assumed I was buying a good scale when I went with sherline. After reading threads from other people, I now realize it's a problem with the particular trailer. Can they also do a tongue weight reading on those CAT scales?

2006lariat,

Odd that curt makes that hitch setup, but doesn't provide a weight distribution setup over 10000lbs / 1000lb tongue weight.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:42 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
On some of the 2011's the 2.5 inch hitch comes from the factory. As far as I know ford hasn't changed the rear section of the frames since 99. I am sure someone would make a WD hitch for a 2.5". Allot of the new HD trucks are coming with that hitch.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:54 PM
vectrex
Senior User
2006lariat,

I'm not sure if you saw the link I posted. It's a curt 2" receiver rated for 150000/1500TW

Trailer Hitch for 2005 Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty - Curt 15514

Coupled with this Reese setup, it should be enough to deal with the tongue weight.

Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 15,000 lbs GTW, 1,500 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66130

Quick Reply: Too much tongue weight