6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Thinking about tuning? Read this

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thinking about tuning? Read this

I thought off and on about seriously tuning my truck for a year or so, about a month ago i did, and i wish i would have sooner. I was tired of the sluggish feel my truck had (mostly due to the heavier rims) and needed to do something about it. Ive always known Matt at Gearhead made some of the best 6.0 tunes available, so after a little research i ordered my SCT XCAL 3 along with the SRL, 8k tow, and unlimited tow. With all of the tunes i could feel a difference in how the truck performed whether towing or just driving unloaded. the SRL tune completely woke the truck up, it was a whole new animal, Acceleration, and deceleration both felt smoother and more precise. With the SRL driving easy was a little hard at first because i was power hungry, but now that ive grown acustom to the tune im using less rpms and boost to get the truck moving than i was running the stock tune. Overall the SRL tune makes the truck run like a bat outta hell and keeps the boost under 26 the whole time. Both of the tow tunes are awesome, the 8k makes short work of anything i have behind the truck and makes trailers feel like they arent there. The unlimited is just a transmission tune primarily but it does its job well, shifts are smoother and more precise than stock.

Everyones favorite question: will i get better mpgs??
Well i sure did, My previous average on the highway doing between 75-80 mph was 15-to 15.5 at the highest. Now running the SRL at the same speeds i getting 18+ mpg, all handcalculated. Today i drove up to school on I75 and I4, I filled my tank before i left and filled up when i got to my destination, i had driven 127.5 miles and used exactly 7 gallons which equats to 18.2 mpg. I got 18.2 doing 80 mph the whole way. this tuner and tunes will pay for themselves in no time, so i am a very happy customer of gearhead and just wanted to share my experience with them.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
That's an awsome post Part of your mpg increase is to keep from pounding on the skinny petal! Matt develops some awesome tunes...

Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I run the hypermax econ tune (B setting) on my 04 and that is about what I get for milage. This was going to and from colorado about 2 weeks ago. Not towing but running at 80 mph where I could and around 70 where I could not. Generally it was about 5 over the limit on all roads.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:28 PM
vectrex
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would love to tune, but still running the stock head bolts.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vectrex
Im running stock head bolts, my truck still has the original bolts and gaskets from the factory.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 PM
AJB201
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vectrex

I have stock head bolts and I am running a quadzilla module. It has a 35hp tune and a 65hp tune. I run the 35hp tune 99 percent of the time. Made a trip to Tomah last weekend to watch the NTPA pulls. 19.3mpg on the way up and 18.9 on the way home all on the 35hp tune.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 329 Likes on 204 Posts
Matt is the king of the ford 6.0 world IMO.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know much about Gearhead but I just Googled them and found their site. I would buy their tunes simply based on the fact they will not do smoke tunes. I LOVE that!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by joe blow
Matt is the king of the ford 6.0 world IMO.
I agree

Originally Posted by Monster-4
I don't know much about Gearhead but I just Googled them and found their site. I would buy their tunes simply based on the fact they will not do smoke tunes. I LOVE that!
His SRL will smoke a bit but not to much, no black clouds like a jackass cummins driver

Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
He is great about getting back to you right away, I called him on a saturday & he called me back that night to talk about what i needed! Customer service...

Old 07-03-2012, 12:10 PM
fordtruckrodder
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
The powe difference is amazing when a tuner is used, I had a bully dog power pup on my truck that did wonders. When I had it on the truck in performance mode it made a huge difference. After reading here about transmission problems, I took it off. I didn't see any change in fuel mileage, no matter how I drove it.

Is the sct less stressful on the transmission than the bully dog?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 329 Likes on 204 Posts
fordtruckrodder,

His tunes are the perfect match for the truck. The shifts are hard but smooth (oxymoron but you know what I mean), the detent is awesome especially from 3rd or 4th to 2nd when passing or just a bit of power needed. I run the SRL around town, and tow with his unlimitted tow and the 8k tow....both are great. In regards to less stressful, I am not sure but one thing I can assure you is Matt is known for his transmission tuning. The bully dog/edge and all the other stuff out there could give you problems from what I have heard.

I love his SRL....I just watch my EGT's, since I am straight piped it doesn't climb as fast as it did when I had a CAT and muffler. His shifting is BEYOND any custom tunes out there....HANDS DOWN!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:10 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordtruckrodder
The powe difference is amazing when a tuner is used, I had a bully dog power pup on my truck that did wonders. When I had it on the truck in performance mode it made a huge difference. After reading here about transmission problems, I took it off. I didn't see any change in fuel mileage, no matter how I drove it.

Is the sct less stressful on the transmission than the bully dog?
My custom tunes re-program the transmission, as far as i know bully dogs do not, which is what causes the damage. The SRL tunes the transmission to make shift precise shifts to handle the power

Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 PM
fordtruckrodder
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I did find the bully dog shifted hard at times, but that may have been my fault because I left it set to stock shifts. I was thinking that would be better, maybe not. I do like the idea that he does the tow tunes and better mileage who wouldn't like that. With the billy dig i saw no inprovement in mileage. I will defently look into the sct. Thanks

Old 07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
another extremely happy SRL guy here

truck goes from worn out saddle horse to a Derby winner with the SRL. It'll spin my 35's easily.

I recently went back to the OEM tuning for 3 days and it was almost unbearable to drive

Quick Reply: Thinking about tuning? Read this