Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 Conversion In Progress

Old 07-16-2012, 11:48 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh. Well I saw these lower shock mounts for the quad shock and thought your donor had them. Maybe they just shipped the truck from the factory with these and not the buckets or the quad shock buckets rusted out and the PO replaced them with normal ones.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh I see. Yeah maybe. Cuz I know for sure the truck only had single shocks on it. I would go with dual shock towers to replace the single but damn those things are expensive new!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Miine has the quad shock lower mounts on the TTB...My truck is a single shock mount truck...

Looking to just swap everything over to 4x4/quad shocks

Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 AM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by minnesotafisherman
I would go with dual shock towers to replace the single but damn those things are expensive new!
Yeah they can be. I got mine off a Bauer Bronco in the JY.

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Miine has the quad shock lower mounts on the TTB...My truck is a single shock mount truck...
Yeah it must be standard to put them on the traction beam when they put a sway bar on. IDK
My truck didn't have either a sway or quad shock, but was 4X4.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Alright guys, need some input on this...

So I am debating whether or not to put the Supercab's (parts truck) front coil springs into my truck with the rebuilt TTB, or just re-use the Moog CC844 (F250) Coils that are currently in my 2wd.

I'm thinking of going with the 844's because they gave me about 1.5" of lift in the front end, and I would imagine after installing the TTB that I will get a little extra boost from that as well. So I should be sitting pretty level.

And my '92 has the eccentric camber adjusting sleeves, can I just re-use those and put them into the TTB arms? I'm assuming they'll work, but just wanted to check. The parts aren't here for me to look at right now, they are 2 hours away at a relative's garage where we are working on it.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
the adjustable cams will transfer.... i'd keep the moog spings ... but just to be safe, keep the S-cab springs around , just in case you change your mind ...

Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I miss swapping my truck over to 4x4. It happened so fast, and since my truck and my donor truck were both from salt free states, everything went smoothly.

Best of luck on your swap man!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bootlegger's Deluxe
the adjustable cams will transfer.... i'd keep the moog spings ... but just to be safe, keep the S-cab springs around , just in case you change your mind ...
That's what I thought, thanks for confirming. Good idea on keeping the other springs. I'll do that.

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
I miss swapping my truck over to 4x4. It happened so fast, and since my truck and my donor truck were both from salt free states, everything went smoothly.

Best of luck on your swap man!
The conversion is going very smooth, only problems we have run into is rust! Lol. Impact wrenches and Oxy Torches has made this go a LOT easier here in the Rust Belt.

Things are coming to a close end, and now is the time for me to start taking more pictures! I'll take some when I go up to start tearing my 2wd apart this weekend.

It's been a fun project so far, and my truck will feel brand new when it's done.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I did my entire swap with just hand tools, and even with that it still didn't take forever.

My truck only has surface rust. But I did soak everything in PB Blaster a few hours before I started pulling everything.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Wow, I couldn't imagine using hand tools. So much rust here it would be impossible. Thank god for air powered tools.

That's why sometimes I wish I lived down there, working on projects like this would be SO much easier.

Yeah PB Blaster has been a good help here as well, along with HEAT lol.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:14 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
I'm due for an update on the truck.... Well today was a very productive day. We pulled the tranny out of my 2wd and installed the 4x4 transmission and transfer case into it. Just need to reconnect the linkage and cooler lines and it's all done. Besides a new filter, pan gasket, and fluid.

Also pulled the 2wd front end out. Going to put the rebuilt 4x4 front end back together tomorrow and have it ready to be bolted in place on my truck for next weekend.

Going to have a rear driveshaft fabricated by a 4x4 shop sometime in the next week.

Also ordered some Monroe Reflex Shocks, front and rear, to replace the factory originals with almost 200K on them.

The truck should be back on the road by the end of next weekend, as long as we don't run into any issues!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Well today we got both TTB axle halves installed into my truck. Got some pictures:

Got the old out:

And the new in:

Tranny/T-case installed:

My truck's wiring harness already had the Transfer case 4x4 indicator light plug, it was capped off since it was a 2wd truck. (Plug on the right):

Less and less parts lying around the garage now:

New wheels installed, 15x10, 4 inches of backspacing. 33x12.5x15:

Waiting for Chrome center caps to arrive via UPS.

And how it currently sits until next weekend:

Old 07-23-2012, 03:21 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Shew...Must be nice to go right ahead and be DONE...

I'm still needing my bushings pressed in..

I've just been so busy with work, it's rained a lot....And simply have been too tired to do anything...

But I'm gonna put my D/S Spindle, hub, etc back on tomorrow....And then Try to get the bushings pressed in, and the front end in and DONE this week coming...

*BTW*

Mine has that Pigtail also...

Old 07-23-2012, 03:41 AM
fdude64
Posting Guru
looks like your making good progress. my 4x4 conversion wasnt just a bolt on. good work

Old 07-23-2012, 06:31 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Shew...Must be nice to go right ahead and be DONE...

I'm still needing my bushings pressed in..

I've just been so busy with work, it's rained a lot....And simply have been too tired to do anything...

But I'm gonna put my D/S Spindle, hub, etc back on tomorrow....And then Try to get the bushings pressed in, and the front end in and DONE this week coming...

*BTW*

Mine has that Pigtail also...
Not quite done yet, but got the heavy stuff in.

Just have some odds and ends to reconnect, bolt on, etc. And then change all fluids, filters.

Expecting 2 more weekends of work at the most, then it will be done.

That's cool that you have that pigtail also, I'm assuming all 2wd trucks do, just makes it nice since nothing has to be wired in.

Originally Posted by fdude64
looks like your making good progress. my 4x4 conversion wasnt just a bolt on. good work
Thanks! I did look at your conversion thread from time to time, and all I can say is I'm glad I'm doing this 4x4 conversion on an F150 lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 Conversion In Progress