1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Looking for bedwood suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Looking for bedwood suggestions

My truck spent much of the last year outside and my red oak bedwood is trashed. That won't happen again, but I do want to use something that can stand to get wet on occasion. I have a nicely equipped woodworking shop so I will be making it again. OK, so red oak it out because it turns black with any moisture exposure, no pine because it is kinda boring. White oak is a possibility because it is has decent outdoor characteristics. My truck is Farmall red, so are my bedstrips. Your ideas welcomed.

And would there be any interest in a pictorial as I machine the boards? It will be a couple weeks before I start. Bunch of Army inspections to deal with right now.

Also, like to see PICs of your bedwood if it meets the following conditions. Five years old, doesn't sit in the garage 360 days a year, and has been wet a dozen times or so. Or at least a few years old and spending sometime outside the garage. It all looks like furniture for a while. Even my red oak looked beautiful for many years when it was treated like a coffee table.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:41 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
What about Brazilian Ipe? We looked into Ipe for decking semi trailers. Suppose to have natural oils and doesn't need to be treated with anything. Also suppose to be VERY hard.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Curious as to how old the finish was on the wood and how you sealed it?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Dobies4life
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An idea I have been tossing around is using the composite decking sold at big box home improvement stores. Wont rot, fades to a natural color. Only downside I can see is the planks are hollow box extrusion.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Curious as to how old the finish was on the wood and how you sealed it?
Keep in mind this was years before I got into woodworking so mistakes were likely made. The wood is 10 years old give or take, looked like furniture for the first 8. I babied it. Truck rarely outside in inclement weather.

To the best of my recollection. Three or more coats of Spar varnish. Sanded between coats etc. Any penetration of the finish was a black mark in the red oak and it didn't take long.

I really like the coffee table gloss or semi-gloss look but willing to give that up and not use a surface film finish. It's going to be high maintenance no matter what if I want a "basketball court" bed, as the guys at work referred to it.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
What about Brazilian Ipe? We looked into Ipe for decking semi trailers. Suppose to have natural oils and doesn't need to be treated with anything. Also suppose to be VERY hard.
If this were a working truck something like that would be high on the list. Prefer something native to midwest. I buy most of my stock from a tree farm about an hour from here.

I don't want to squelch the suggestions at all, but here are a few options I know I can buy reasonable.

white oak, hickory, cedar, siberian elm, maple (multiple varieties),probably others that I can't think of now.

I love walnut and use it a lot, but the color is wrong for this project. I have considered using it as an inlay perhaps. Carol is pretty artsy and could jazz up a few of the boards for me. If I do that I will make a backup board or two in case it fails.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
White oak has very good moisture resistance as well as being tough and flexible . That would be my choice with an oil finish .

Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
I'm using black walnut- started doing the treatment AX told me to use and so far it looks great- not finished as other things and weather have put a hold on all things in garage. The info AX (the wood wizard-among other things- as far as I'm concerned) can be found in a thread called "BEDWOOD" started by reg1952 on 9/30/12 -- I printed it out or I would try to get the link for you. It gave a lot of information and ways to treat the wood so it doesn't have your problem. Good luck. dave s

Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
I'd like the link as well!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
If I can figure out how to get it I will. Dave s

Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Try this for the beefwood link. Bed wood - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums This should get you to the last page of the thread the. You can just go to page 1 and read it all. Ax and others gave great advice. Have fun. Dave s

Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 PM
bk53
Senior User
I used a west marine 2 part brush on epoxy but I don't know how it will wear. there are a few studies on bed wood finish tests that would be worth your while to read. I* went with white oak because I got a good price on it. I've seen 60 year old bed wood in black paint under a bed cover. looked good too. First time I have to try and refinish this epoxy its going to get a body color coat or two.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
The thread Ax gave me info in is another one I am trying to find. Sparky and others gave all the info in this one and between the two guys that know more about wood and the proper way to finish it you can't go wrong. Plus they share it and are willing to answer all my stupid questions. Dave s

Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Be interesting what bamboo boards would look like

Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 PM
JohnS49
Senior User
White oak is a good choice . I've used it in many woodworking projects for years . I really would recomend an oil finish instead of a varnish .

Quick Reply: Looking for bedwood suggestions