6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

I'm tired of this, Ford can have it, I don't want it

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was on Florida until tonight, but my neighbor had put the boxes in my garage on Thursday. So I get home ready for a long night but find the box was dropped and breaking apart at one end. Two pipes bent but I should be able to fix them, I took pics and sent them to supplier just in case.

What I can't fix is the missing 4" clamp for the turbo pipe to straight section. I sent my wife to buy two 4 1/2" clamps and I was going to install it temporarily. Installed the programmer and ran all wires and got it buttoned up. They gave me the wrong electrical connector but I have a lot of them so no worries. The grommet they show to use in the firewall I think is impossible, so I ran it with the large bundle of wires. A piece of Aluminum brazing rod, about 1/16" dia, works great for threading.

I will say this the directions were not checked by someone that would actually install it step by step. I proof manuals for our machinery and can tell you I would be embarrassed and harassed if I let something like that leave our company.

Some other steps assume you are a seasoned mechanic, which I guess I understand. What I didn't know was the only issue unlock codes from 9-5 MST on Monday-Friday. ARGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did I miss that bit of information? So I am pissed to say the least because now the parts will sit in my shop for a week!!!!! Well I may wait for the 4" clamp to show up, hopefully by Wednesday, and I may just get it done.

I was surprised when I opened the box and saw how tiny the screen and overall size of the mini Maxx. When they say MINI they mean it. I chose that one to keep my truck looking stock (ish), and not to "advertise" that I had a tuner at all when I show up at truck pulls. I guess that massive 6" chrome tip and rumble the 5" pipes make may give it away.

Signed,
Anxious In Atlanta

Last edited by FORDTUF1; 07-07-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: more details
Old 07-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which directions were bad? For the mini maxx or exhaust?

I thought you were aware of the unlock code or I would have said something last week.

Hopefully you get it all taken care of next week. You'll forget about the headaches once you drive it!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 AM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
The order in which you should do things, and un-clear about tuning before putting on exhaust. It said something like "install tuning before changing exhaust", then it says if you did the exhaust already then its okay to tune it. That's the first thing that comes to mind. So it looks like I have to tune it once, then tune it again after I take off and move the sensors.

I knew about the unlock code, but I didn't know you HAD to do it from MON-FRI during business hours. I can't believe they don't have it automated. I actually can't believe it isn't already ready to go out of the box. For almost $1,000 bucks it should be ready, I can understand if you need the recent updates, but it is made and sold to run on the truck.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
but it is made and sold to run on the truck.

Not true. The same mini maxx works on all trucks. You will only update the SD card for your application. You could use it on a 6.0 or 6.4 right now out of the box. Or a LMM duramax. The 6.7 PS and LML duramax only require an unlock code. Not sure about the Cummins.

It is a PITA but what can you do. No one else offers what H&S does and honestly you get more for your money with H&S as well.

I can't comment on H&S' instructions as I've never read them. It was fairly obvious how to hook it up and I never took the time to read it. I read how to update it on H&S' website and plugged it into key-on power. I tuned mine after I changed the exhaust and had no problems. Of course as soon as I opened the mini maxx I saw the paper saying to tune it first....lol. 4,000 miles and no problems though.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:44 AM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I figured since I ordered it for my 6.7 Ford it already was set for that, but I am guessing now that you mention it, they have to be more strict because of the new DEF and emission laws.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 AM
blue oval fan
Senior User
yea theres no problem to tune the truck before u remove exhaust. just select "dpf removed" when u program the truck with the exhaust still on. doing this you can still drive the truck 25 miles or less according to h&s directions. i made the mistake of selecting "dpf on" when i first tuned the truck, then i had to return it to stock and then re tune it to "dpf removed". biggest issue i ran into

Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
Bi-annual checks!!!! Why don't we give California back to Mexico?
I live far enough outside ATL that I don't even have inspections at all. If they somehow start doing it I'll register my truck in my place up in the N. GA mountains.

I can't wait to install this. I hope it gets here Thursday or Friday at the latest. I'll pull an all-nighter if I have to Saturday night, then I can drive it Sunday before taking it to work Monday. I've been turning wrenches since I was 5 so I'll see how long it takes. I thought about taking pics along the way if it doesn't slow me down.

Did you guys find it easier to leave the truck on the ground or lift it 6 inches or so on jack stands?
i love Florida! no emmissions checks!

Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 PM
ken1960
Junior User

is this delete system help get better fuel mile p g an give more power and is it safe for engine

Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Yes, yes, pretty much.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 PM
blue oval fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by ken1960
is this delete system help get better fuel mile p g an give more power and is it safe for engine
You do get better fuel economy yes. And u get a lot more power!! It makes the truck a blast to drive that's for sure!! And people will argue if it's good for the motor or not, my response is yes it's by far better. U delete your problematic egr, and your motor doesn't get to the stupid hot temps anymore like it does when it goes into "regen" when u delete all the pollution bs.. U make ur diesel engine run like a diesel engine is intended to run!

Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by Caleb1
i love Florida! no emmissions checks!
I just found out today that diesels in my county do not require emissions inspection!!! Everything else does but diesels are exempt.
So maybe I'll tune after my warranty expires. I wish I could see a video of our trucks tuned.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Look on YouTube. There's tons of videos of tuned 6.7s.

Here's just a few that are on YouTube.

6.7 powerstroke h&s - YouTube

Videos are nice, but it's soooo much better in person. Once you see or ride in one that tuned, you won't be able to drive yours around stock for long....

Old 07-14-2012, 12:56 AM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
So I've been running tuned but no exhaust change all week, just didn't have time at night to do it. I LOVE the power this thing has, I can't stop grinning. Tonight I installed the 5" straight pipe exhaust.

I read where you have to disconnect two connectors to keep EGR from activating, so I did that. Then I started doing my EGT kit but the two bolts where the plate is connected to the exhaust manifold will not come off. I almost broke my hand and ratchet trying to do it, then I used Kroil cause it usually works as well as PB blaster, and still nothing. I figured I run the truck and get it hot and then try again.

It ran for about 2 minutes and then the tuner started cycling through Wild / Mild / NO POWER and beeping. Then the Pyro 1 temp was at 2000, so I was idling in my neighborhood back home. It got to 2400 before I shut it off, then it kept climbing to 2700 degrees. I think somethings not right.

I re-read the instructions and it does say to unplug the temp sensors from muffler, I left a couple plugged in just taped off, so I'll unplug in the morning and try again. But from what I read I didn't think you MUST do the EGT or EGR complete removal, just unplug the two wiring connectors under the hood. Am I mis-interpreting that?

One other weird thing is my remote start won't work now, anybody experience that?

In case anyone is thinking about this I'll give you some advice. This sucker is LOUD!!!! I'm hoping that someone can tell me that installing a muffler will take over 50% of the noise level down.

Last edited by FORDTUF1; 07-14-2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-14-2012, 07:18 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I remember reading something about wacky temps if something was not done right. Might have been an incorrect setting on the Maxx somewhere. I'd search for it but I really can't remember what it was about.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
I may be wrong but I believe it says to update before use, to make sure everything is set to your calibration.

Quick Reply: I'm tired of this, Ford can have it, I don't want it