West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

Did everyone weather the storms OK last night?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:40 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did everyone weather the storms OK last night?

Everyone OK after the storms last night? We're without power but fine otherwise. Just hope the power is back before we lose all the meat in the freezer in this heat.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Electricity just came back.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was out for about 10 minutes at the longest, it did go out 6 times though. That same storm did some damage out in ohio, My aunt lost her chimney way up in Findlay, in N. Central Ohio. My house was creaking in new ways from the wind. I am very surprised I didn't lose anymore trees.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
It flicked out twice where I was working in Morgantown last night. Both times it came on within seconds. At home it was out most of the day. I just got home and it looks like some nearby places are still without power.

From the way my wife described it, I'm surprised we didn't at least have some branches down in the yard. There were a number of branches and some trees down across the area. I was surprised to see the power line to someone's house down on the way home this afternoon and cars driving over it.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 PM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,522 Likes on 1,420 Posts
It took me 3 hours to get home from 10 miles north of Point Pleasant which is about 30 miles. I was at "Flat Rock" then it hit. Power was out until about 12:30 this morning. We had a few trees down and fence damage. We were lucky.

Best wishes and prayers to everyone without power.

Rod

Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
power was out untill sunday, lots of trees down, Ford Parts scattered over the hill... The Rabbit Cage got flung about ten feet, ol girl seems to be okay though (pissed but okay)... other than that, no major damage, hope everybody else is okay!

Old 07-04-2012, 05:19 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Still no power at the house but its on in town...took the stuff out of the freezer and gave it to the fire dept...they're cooking food and handing it out.

Got lucky, nobody hurt but a bunch of trees in my area.

Joe

Old 07-05-2012, 06:23 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Still no power here but the internet is finally back so I have the laptop and DSL modem hooked to the generator.

"They" say we may have power back by Sunday

I've never seen wind like that before. Incredible.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
Still no power here but the internet is finally back so I have the laptop and DSL modem hooked to the generator.

"They" say we may have power back by Sunday

I've never seen wind like that before. Incredible.
It is amazing how in places you can't tell anything happened and in other places there is so much storm damage. Along one stretch on the road I drive to work, the trees are all pushing so hard on the phone lines I'm surprised they haven't broken.

Are you near Greenbank? (I see the telescope antenna behind your truck.) We were down there with the Excursion last fall for the Family Fun Science Day they had. We stopped in Durbin and rode the train on the way down since trains are pretty popular with some members of my household.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Originally Posted by AndrewWV
It is amazing how in places you can't tell anything happened and in other places there is so much storm damage. Along one stretch on the road I drive to work, the trees are all pushing so hard on the phone lines I'm surprised they haven't broken.

Are you near Greenbank? (I see the telescope antenna behind your truck.) We were down there with the Excursion last fall for the Family Fun Science Day they had. We stopped in Durbin and rode the train on the way down since trains are pretty popular with some members of my household.
You're right... you drive for a while and everything's normal, then you drive through a patch of disaster. What a crazy storm.

Yeah, I live near Green Bank and I work at NRAO. I was one of the two guys manning the electronics/soldering demo in the basement last year during the open house so you might've seen me if you went down there for tie dying or whatever else was going on down there.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
You're right... you drive for a while and everything's normal, then you drive through a patch of disaster. What a crazy storm.

Yeah, I live near Green Bank and I work at NRAO. I was one of the two guys manning the electronics/soldering demo in the basement last year during the open house so you might've seen me if you went down there for tie dying or whatever else was going on down there.
Yes! My son loved that! He was worried he wouldn't get to do the electronics since he was only 10, but he was really glad he got the chance! He still has his little blinking R2D2 kit. (Well, the battery wires broke off, so he'll have to solder those again.) All the kids love their tie-dye shirts too.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:40 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
That's great!! Very glad to hear he enjoyed it! He did a great job.

I think we're going to do an open house again this fall, but I'm not sure what events will be going on. Should be similar to last years though.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:58 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Got our power back today around 4pm!

So happy those 9 days are over. Hopefully everyone in WV gets their power back soon. The Mon Power site shows 36,000ish people and I haven't checked the AEP site. Power workers still have a long road ahead.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:15 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
I'm glad to see the maps showing most folks finally have power again now, and I am also praying for those still waiting.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Paul T
More Turbo
Jackson County did not do so well in the storm. I had several trees down, nothing was damaged though except my fence for the horses. My electricity was out for 4 days. A lot of the county was out for 10 to 12 days. One couple is still out, the power company said it would be out until August because there were 3 poles broke and the only way to get them in was by helicopter. I still have trees that need cut up. My wife was stranded for a few hours due to large trees across our road. My neighbors pulled together and we cut them out of the way. I stayed on my front porch and watched the whole storm. I have never seen anything like it. At one point my storm doors came open due to the low outside pressure. I was leaning against them and they pushed me out.