1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bad news, GF said truck has to go....(not a good day)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:40 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Wayne,

Good bits of advice but one thing I will challenge is the buying the truck one day and selling it a short time later to make a profit. My experience isn't with a truck, never made any money off of a complete truck, but truck parts. I've listed parts on eBay that haven't sold after a week with a beginning price of $50. I then relisted and sold the same item the following week for $100. It's happened to me a few times. The winning bidder could have had the item for half the price if he had looked a week earlier. Funny how that works out sometimes.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:54 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then permit me to take the wind out of your challenge. In the early '80s I was a landscaper in San Diego. One of my clients had a sister who had an early '50s Ford pickup and she needed some cash now. My client knew I liked old trucks, so he hooked her up with me. I bought the truck from her and sold it for double the next day. So, if anyone here bought that red early '50's Ford in Ocean Beach from me I would like to have it back.

Which also may explain how Frostbitten obtained the truck. A friend or workmate may have needed some cash and it was never advertised.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:56 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mervy49
That is great advise....I wish I would have been told that when I built My Cobra 30 years ago...my ex is demanding that I sell it and give her half even after being divorced 12 years. Oh yeah, she sneaked that into the divorce settlement, her and her crooked female divorce lawyer. I'm really considering taking the parts off it that I paid for with my own money and then dropping it off in her (my old) drive way with the signed transfer papers. Take that "#%&ch".

I truly apologise for the hyjack.
She can't force you to sell it. If it is in the divorce settlement, then she can demand you pay her 1/2 the value it had at the time of the divorce, not what it is worth now, unless there is some very unusual clause in the settlement. Did you not have a lawyer? I'd tell her to sue me for it, arguing she abandoned her claim to it many years ago. Most lawyers would tell her it would be too expensive to go to court over it.
My advice to everyone is to never put any property into joint ownership no matter how happy the marriage is at the time. Put anything that you wouldn't mind walking away from in her name, anything you really cherish in your own.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:06 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Me thinks ol' FB just may be a troll. He didn't generate any excitement or offers so now he is going back where he came from. Or else he's been watching too many reality shows, thought he could make a big profit flipping it, or doesn't actually own it, just has a line on buying it. It may also be buyer's remorse, it is in much worse condition than thought on close examination. He's obviously not a mechanic, what vehicle has the starter under the pass seat????

Old 06-30-2012, 12:20 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Fred Flintstone's starter was under the seat!

I'm certain divorce laws are different everywhere, but in California, which generally sets the standards, if you own something before you get married it is NOT joint property. Only that which was obtained during the marriage. I had a supervisor who was in a bad marriage and his wife was nagging him to sell the house he had prior to getting married and buying a new one. He refused, which turned out in his favour as she left him and couldn't get her claws into it.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Points taken on the flip-for-profit. One should never say never. My point was if it was advertised locally for, say $5000 for weeks or months and it never sold, hundreds of people have seen it and passed, for one reason or another. If someone buys it at $4700 and relists it 2 days later for a higher price, all those hundreds of folks will have a good laugh for the day. The O/P should not expect to make a butt-load of money on this deal. Falling into an unadvertised deal then selling for profit is a different situation.

Washington, being a community property state, says that community property is established at the point when money is co-mingled. That means when money earned/owned by either party is used to pay utilities, house payments, car payments, etc., no matter when it was acquired. If I have a house for 10 years, even if I continue to make the payments with my own money after marriage, that money is considered community, and the house therefore is also now community property, in its entirety. If I have 20 grand in a bank account, get married and deposit my next check into that account, or even if that account earns interest without outside deposits, that account becomes community property.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:23 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Frostbitten
(turning this into a tech thread now)

Went to start it today.....and nothing....the starter is spinning, but the motor is not turning over?

I use to have this with old farmall tractors back in the day

All i did then was tap the starter with a hammer and it would work fine

Tried that with the truck and i get nothing. Im assuming the starter is underneath the passenger seat? maybe im tapping the wrong thing

any other ideas what it could be? where do i find a starter? (truck is 12v converted)
I might not be reading this correctly but no, the starter is not under the seat. If you mean the starter is attached to passenger's side of the engine, under the floor in the general area under the passenger's seat then yes, you're correct. Wouldn't you know this if you rapped the starter with a hammer? A starter on any brand or type of vehicle looks pretty much the same. The idea of knocking the starter to make it spin is to dislodge a part, like the amature or solenoid plunger that is cocked because of worn bearing or cylinder and plunger. If the starter is spinning and the engine is not moving then either the Bendix drive is not engaging the flywheels teeth or you have a couple of missing teeth on the flywheel. If the flywheel is missing a few teeth you can spin the engine 1/4 turn by hand , with the key off, and try to start the engine again.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Points taken on the flip-for-profit. One should never say never. My point was if it was advertised locally for, say $5000 for weeks or months and it never sold, hundreds of people have seen it and passed, for one reason or another. If someone buys it at $4700 and relists it 2 days later for a higher price, all those hundreds of folks will have a good laugh for the day. The O/P should not expect to make a butt-load of money on this deal. Falling into an unadvertised deal then selling for profit is a different situation.

Washington, being a community property state, says that community property is established at the point when money is co-mingled. That means when money earned/owned by either party is used to pay utilities, house payments, car payments, etc., no matter when it was acquired. If I have a house for 10 years, even if I continue to make the payments with my own money after marriage, that money is considered community, and the house therefore is also now community property, in its entirety. If I have 20 grand in a bank account, get married and deposit my next check into that account, or even if that account earns interest without outside deposits, that account becomes community property.
You hit it on the head with never say never. Like Bob said, he's advertised parts for $50 that didn't sell and re-listed them later for twice that and sold them. I once bought a piece of land and sold it to the next door neighbour a couple years later for three times what I paid for it. Of course the market had hyper-inflated and has since burst, but I could never understand why he did that. I agree that buying a truck that was advertised locally and trying to flip it locally isn't the way to expect to make some cash on a quick turnaround. But if the local economic conditions are forcing people to sell toys at a loss there is the possibility of making some profit by taking it to another market. The problem is that Frostbitten didn't provide a lot of details and we've just sort of made assumptions. We don't know what he's doing, and for that matter, perhaps he doesn't either!

Wow, Washington is even harsher than California.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM
gsato55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry about the truck, but good luck with the house.

Glenn
56F100

Old 06-30-2012, 02:24 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Keep the truck, and the gun too

Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
James, I think you didn't get my story fully, just want to clarify it. The items I've sold on eBay I listed for the same starting price when I relisted but the second time just two other people who missed it the frist time must have seen it the second time.

I had a panel truck a few years back that I wanted to sell. I listed in CL for X amount and it sat for a month without a nibble. I listed it on eBay for half the amount and still didn't get any nibble. Literally 4 hours before the end of the eBay auction I had a guy who saw my original CL ad email me offering me the original, higher price. I waited until the eBay auction was over and notified the emailer I still had the truck and sold it to him for the higher price. If he had searched eBay he could have had it for 1/2 price.

My all time favorite is the brand new stainless '48-50 grill trim kit that was on eBay The seller listed the price he paid for it, $200, the part number and where he bought it. Starting bid was $65, my max bid was $75, I got it for $65. A week later same thing different seller with a starting bid of $75. There was two bidders that drove it up to $230, $30 more than the vendors sell them for. I just can't figure it out some times.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Frostbitten
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I might not be reading this correctly but no, the starter is not under the seat. If you mean the starter is attached to passenger's side of the engine, under the floor in the general area under the passenger's seat then yes, you're correct. Wouldn't you know this if you rapped the starter with a hammer? A starter on any brand or type of vehicle looks pretty much the same. The idea of knocking the starter to make it spin is to dislodge a part, like the amature or solenoid plunger that is cocked because of worn bearing or cylinder and plunger. If the starter is spinning and the engine is not moving then either the Bendix drive is not engaging the flywheels teeth or you have a couple of missing teeth on the flywheel. If the flywheel is missing a few teeth you can spin the engine 1/4 turn by hand , with the key off, and try to start the engine again.

I will try that tanks....the starter seems strong...i could roll it in gear and get the same results correct?

Old 06-30-2012, 03:54 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Sorry for misunderstanding you Bob. Sometimes it's in the timing, somebody might not be looking the first time an item is listed, then the next time there are two who get in a bidding war. Good on you for snagging that deal. I've been there, and other times I've bought something only to find a better deal later. Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windscreen!

Old 06-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by South of BC
Sell the Cobra to a trusted friend for a low price. After the settlement your mate can sell it back to you. Too bad your other truck isn't a '52 Chevy, I'd volunteer to be a "trusted" friend on that one!
She Ain't NOT getting the GMC, That ones been in my family since it was new. Re the car, she slipped that one by me with her snot lawyer. I didn't have a lawyer and went on basic instinct to trust. It was worded something like 'accumulated assets'. Even though she never set foot in the garage a single once and all she did was bitch about the amount of time it took. Mean while she couldn't pry her butt off the couch. She even had a price in there as to what it had to be sold for. Nyuuk,nyuuk,....I did consult a lawyer (mine), but this was much later, he pointed out that she hadn't put a time limit on this deal.

I'm feeling guilty about snagging this thread but I had to answer, maybe it's good advice after the fact for the above.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc

Texas is the same, if you have any joint bank accounts all property becomes community property, with one exception - if something was a gift then it belongs solely to the person who received the gift. Maybe the Cobra was a gift from a friend

Quick Reply: Bad news, GF said truck has to go....(not a good day)