1975 ford Perkins Phaser 6.0 rebuild and Allison 6sp.swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 AM
perky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1975 ford Perkins Phaser 6.0 rebuild and Allison 6sp.swap

This is a vidio of the start up after rebuild of the perkin phaser(AKA detroit Phaser)1975 Ford with Perkins Diesel - YouTube When I get time I will post the complete install.are you can go to Comp.D.Perkins rebuild and Allison6sp swap - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Dale

Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice setup! I remember your truck from years ago. I have always been fascinated with the unusual engine choice. Do you have any old writeups on the original engine/trans combo swap? Definitely a cool truck. Keep up the good work

Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 PM
perky
Senior User
here is a older write up from the diesel garage when It got the truck of the month.
July TOTM
I am going to do a complete build thread on the truck when I get time to post all the picture.Not sure what section it will be in.The swap section or the 73 to 79 thread section what is your thaut witch one.

Dale

Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
73-79. It is cool how you build what seems to be a capable, reliable mini-hauler. I have toyed with the idea of a diesel for the fuel economy, but have never gotten around to it. Yours seems like a good balance of power and economy. I would be interested in not only the build, but also, the real application, what you like, and what you've changed because it didn't work as well as you thought it should.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:46 PM
perky
Senior User
Going to take her for a test drive this weekend if we don't have enymore storms.Don't realy want to drive it with out some inner fender wells.I just picked some up for 73 chevy yesterday I have to do some trimming and make some brackets to hold them on the frame.going to make them removable.The won't be mounted to the front clip.Got them for 20.00 apeice.

I decided to make new hood rest out of aluminum.And you know I have to polish them.

I used a extra Snow water injection bottle for my window washer res,used a peice of stainless steal for the mounting bracked.

I have the Snow kits that was on the Gambler,I'm going to use one on the old girl and see how it works I have to get a controller for the street.

what do you guy's think about putting it on the truck.Good or bad alway trying to get better mpg.

Dale

Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
I don't know enough about this stuff to have an opinion on the snow kit, but keep the pictures coming. Really cool truck.

What front coils did you use with the engine?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM
perky
Senior User
They are still the stock springs that came on the truck when my dad bout the truck new in 75.I just put a 1" spacer under them.The truck came with a 460.
I will start to put picture up of the complete swap if you like.
Dale

Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
please do. I'd love to see pics of this as I too love the odd, but cool engine choice

Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
that's one nice truck you have really liking the look of it i'd be interested in seeing more of the build also

Old 09-08-2012, 02:47 PM
perky
Senior User
I'm getting a TCM from BTDeiselworks for a 8.1 gasser to replace the duramax one.the 8.1 has a different language then the deasel.So hopfully I will have lockup when I change them out.This should fix the problem.
I haven't done enything else to the truck at all.going to work on her this week.like getting the aluminum supports finished and polished for the front clip.and start on the inner fenders.And change the return lines some on the powerstearing and hydroboost.tomuch restiction.Pump grawls to much when the RPM go up.that is what I was told to do.
Dale

Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 PM
perky
Senior User
I received the TCM from Ben at BTDIESELWORKS.com got it at 11:50 took a couple of min, to plug it in and move the wifes car and the 72 chevy out of the driveway.It reved up to 3600 before it would shift to 2nd same for 3rd.when I started out at the stop light I let of the go pedle and it shifted lower rpms.WE HAVE LOCKUP.I get it into 6th and the rpms at 60 is 1480 and at 55mph is1350.we will have to do some fine tunning with EFI and see how it reacts.before I order the lockup module from Ben so I can have it lock up in 2nd gear in drive and use T/H for when I use the AFC Valeigh switch.

Dale

Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM
perky
Senior User
Got bored last saturday and refinished the sideboards was my wifes idea she even helped.

going to use a trailer tracking rod for my panhard rod so I can adjust it for side to side if I deside to raise up the air ride.The one I have on it now isn't adjustable.I.m off by 3/8 of a inch.nobody has said enything but I know it is off.

Did some tracing of wires to see if there was a problem the TPS wireing I just went and retighten every conection and going to start driving it and se if this makes a difference.My fingers and tows are crossed.
What is your opinion? I thinking about lowering my timing to 15 it is at 18 at the moment stock was 11 the motor has 17.5 comp,ratio.

Dale

Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 AM
"Top Fuel" Bender
Senior User
Originally Posted by perky

Dale
looking good
I've been following some of your other posts
nice to see to someone on the path less taken

got anymore pics of your flatbed setup?
how much tire clearance do you have back there
how far up off the frame rails are you ?

I'm slowly working on '78 F250 cummins 4x4 swap
swapping out the standard cab for a supercab
going to fab a "military trailer" style bed for the rear
just wondering how low I can keep the bed compared to the body

Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 PM
perky
Senior User
I have 3" of tire clearance to the bed.i don't remember if I mentioned that I have air ride with leveling valves.I have had almost 9000lb over the axle staid the same ride height.I will get some more pics and measurements.I am going to do a complete build thread not sure which forum to put it under this one are the 73 to 79 section.

Dale

Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 PM
perky
Senior User
Here is a shot of the frame and the bottom of the bed

from the ground to the floor of the bed it is 35"

Dale

Quick Reply: 1975 ford Perkins Phaser 6.0 rebuild and Allison 6sp.swap