Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > Maryland Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: jr32560

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Elder User

Blade79 has a good reputation on FTE.Blade79 has a good reputation on FTE.Blade79 has a good reputation on FTE.
300 I6 with a C6 Question

I'm pulling out the 351w and putting in a 300 in my 89 F250. I know I will need a new radiator but I noticed that the lines for the oil cooler on the 351 are on the opposite side of the radiator from a radiator for the 300. Is there a conversion kit for this? How do I get the lones over to the opposite side?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
The Radiator for the I6 is reversed frpm the v/8/ cooling lines go on the side the return coolant line is on.

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
I'm not sure I made that clear.

On the v/8, the top hose Fill, and trans lines are on the passenger side. water pump line is on the driver side.

On the I 6, the Top hose, fill, and coolant lines are on the driver's side, Wayerpump draws from the passenger side.

Return lines from the trans cross over under the core support

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 06-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Elder User

Blade79 has a good reputation on FTE.Blade79 has a good reputation on FTE.Blade79 has a good reputation on FTE.
Maybe this is where I am getting confused. The one I pulled out of the truck has top fill, passanger side, but the trans line was at the bottom on the drivers side just above the bottom hose. It is a pre-bent line that hooked in for the trans. I will try to take a pic of it and post when I get home this evening.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Elder User

Here is a pic of the radiator I took out
Click the image to open in full size.

Here are the 2 lines I was talking about that are on the drivers side.

I did notice that the line for the trans oil was apparently cut and redone with a piece of hose and clamps. Possibly cut and redone to match the radiator???
Old 06-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Posting Legend

You will have to cut the lines, make a 90* turn, run accrossed the core support, and hook the lines to the other side.

As for the patch in the line, probably you had an oil cooler in there that someone cut out/

Charlie slackmaster #26
Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Elder User

Ahhhhh....I see. Now I understand. Thanks Charlie
Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Posting Legend

No problem. My radiator is out of the 82, I was going to take a picture next, to show It's a mirror image.

Too bad that radiator won't work for you. Different core support, different mount.

Charlie slackmaster #26
Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Posting Legend

This is the only I6 picture of a radiator I have.

It's the f 350 with electric fan and 3g alternator conversion, but you'll get the idea

It has a manual transmission, but you can see the trans fitting if you look below the radiator cap

Charlie slackmaster #26
Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 PM