Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2003, 11:27 PM
Freshman User

rpbrock is starting off with a positive reputation.
WAH-Hoo!! only 26 more posts till I can get a E.O.G!!! Wait or is it 25???

Drive it like you stole it!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:46 AM
New User

jrday is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow... what a great forum... I just found it this AM... you folks have shared some really helpful info!!! Thanks!!!

Last nite the 4wheel LLS on my 99 Expedition 4x4 went out. It was trouble free for 92k miles ( although my front air shocks need replacement & as I have just read I should probably replace my drier as well ).

I traced my problem to "the connector under the air intake". "rpbrock" noted this same connector in his recent post. Apparently this is a known weak point. In my case, the hard black plastic outer tube had a hairline crack that allowed the brass end fitting to be pushed out of the connector. The brass end fitting looks fine & the little rubber o'ring is still there. I couldn't get it to pop back in fully (I am afraid of damaging the lines w/ the tools I have), so I guess I will have to take it to a pro.

- Has anyone had this connector replaced?

- Does the entire section of tubing need to be replaced or just the connector?

- Assuming that this connector is my only problem (i.e. compressor, relay, & sensors are fine) is there any other prep/reset "labor" that I might get hit up for?

- I was planning on connecting it as best I could, duct taping it together to refill system & immediately drive it to get it fixed. If the system leaks completely, will I damage anything (aside from my lowerback ) by driving it bottomed out. I was lucky that it lost air about a mile from my house & wasn't fully out until I got to my neighborhood.

Thanks, Joe
Old 10-13-2003, 04:01 PM
New User

JohnKirk4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air suspension

I have the same problem as STURG...the rear air suspension went out the other day on my 1999 EB...and I do not hear the compressor running like I used to. I saw some threads here talking about a switch...what switch is this...the 4WD switch on the dash? I have not tried moving this either. I have not tried disconnecting the battery. If I do this, will the compass need to be recalibrated?
Thanks.

John
Old 10-13-2003, 05:14 PM
New User

Air suspension

If my LLS compressor needs to be replaced, is this a job that a do it yourself garage mechanic can do? How involved is this job?
Thanks,
John
1999 Expy EB
Old 10-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Freshman User

rpbrock is starting off with a positive reputation.
The cost here in Texas at my Ford dealer was around Seventy some odd dollars to have it repaired. That was parts and labor to replace the plastic connector. I don't think they did anything other than that. It seems that this connector is the weakest link in the system.

The switch? Hmmm... maybe you are referring to the switch that is under the dash on the passenger side next to the kick panel (up high). This switch turns off the LLS system in case of a malfunction or in case service needs to be done on the vehicle to keep it from lowering or raising while it's being serviced. That's the only switch I am aware of concerning the LLS.

Also John, disconnecting the battery will not harm any systems. They will reset themselves if they are functioning properly. You will lose your radio settings and need to reset the clock.

From what I read, some of the guys here have replaced the compressor. Take a look at this site for "Strut-Masters" http://www.expedition.strutmasters.com/. They will probably be able to tell you more. Good Luck.

Drive it like you stole it!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:09 PM
Freshman User

Daddy4zack is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Well i did it.

Moved the air ride sensor up. Compressed about one inch. Gave me about 2.5 inches of lift. And just a little bit of a rougher ride. I must say i am very happy with the look of the lifted truck. I reset the computer and now I will have the allignment done in the new position and drive it. Thanks for all the info.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:33 AM
New User

How involved is replacing the LLS air compressor? Is there any reprograming that must be done by a dealer? The dealer wants $650 to do the job...I can get the compressor for $200.
Thanks.
John
1999 Expy EB
Old 10-18-2003, 02:38 PM
New User

BadAssNav is starting off with a positive reputation.
You guys are awesome!!!!!

All I can say is thank you!! You guys rock! I have my nav really hooked up, airradi cold air intake, throttle body spacer, super chip, plat plugs, chrome tube running boards, and 32" pro comp mud terrains which just... fit.. I asked 10 times they said no lift was available as i'm a 4x4 4 wheel airbag system ps. with limited slip

So after reading everything in this thread.. i put 2 ideas together went outside to my truck and in 10 mins had a FREE 3 1/4 inch lift on my truck!

This is what I did moved the sensor the wrong way at first lol, then the right way, gained about 1.5 inches.. then! put my truck in 4 low gained another 175 inches.. now after turning off the truck i lost the 1.75 so went back in 4low pumped iut back up to a full 3.25 gain and then locked it in with the air suspension switch bam!! It holds perfect! I just got a sweet lift for free thanks guys great info!! will post some pics soon

Last edited by BadAssNav; 10-18-2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:32 PM
New User

skocsis is starting off with a positive reputation.
air suspension

How far did you go on the sensors. Did you max out the sensors?
Old 10-18-2003, 09:41 PM
New User

oh yeah definately max i even thought about cutting the metal so i could go a little furhter.. anyways it's awesome
Old 10-19-2003, 11:40 PM
New User

BrokenBlade is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey, John. Read some of my posts earlier in this thread. I replaced the compressor myself. Bought it for $150. Took about 1 hour to do, no problem. Save yourself some money. It's located in the front under the hood on the passenger side. Look under the windshield washer tank. You'll have to take that out but don't disconnect the lines to it unless you want. Just move it out of the way. You may have to lossen the batery box too just to get to one poorly placed bolt. Anyway, its easy, just do it.

Steve, I took my rear sensor off and compressed it fully. I got 9 1/2 inches out of the rear before I stopped it. It didn't hurt anything, but wouldn't suggest riding around like that! I have a 3 inch body lift and raised my rear sensor to the top and it works real well. Just the right height and because of the body lift, my ride didn't suffer either. rides real nice and smooth. Otherwise you can make a new bracket to raise it more, your ride will just be stiffer. I would what I did and use a body lift with a little lift from the bags too. It a nice compromise.

Good luck guys!
Les
Old 10-20-2003, 12:33 AM
New User

hey les what do you mean you took it off and compressed it fully ecplain how you did this and put it back on fore the sensor to work? 9.5 wow! yeah i'd like another inch was thinking of cutting that bracket a little so i could slide the sensor up a little u really think it's safe? and what about raising the front more is there a sensor trick up there? also u have any pics of your?
Old 10-20-2003, 06:56 AM
New User

BrokenBlade is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, I was playing with the sensor. I removed the sensor from the bracket in the rear and then compressed it fully. Right now, the bracket prevents you from compressing it all the way. There is a lot of travel left in that sensor. I pushed the rear up and didn't have any trouble, but like I said would ride around that high and stiff.

On the rear, just remove the nut on the lower bolt on the bracket used for adjustment. Compress it slowly until you find the position you want the truck. If you adjust it a few inches, then you shouldn't suffer on the ride too much. I just wanted to let everyone know I did it and nothing bad happened, but yeah, I couldn't believe it rose that high! I do not have it there now. I moved it to the top of the adjustment on the bracket, plus a three inch body lift, and it works really well for me, and gives me a great ride too, but I know it will go higher. I think some others have made new brackets in order to compress the sensor farther than the original bracket allows. Just play around with it (within reason). I don't think you'll bust anything.

Hope it helps! Les
Old 01-21-2004, 02:45 AM
Junior User

Voksboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
rear suspension doesn't seem hard at all but will that raise the front too? I have air suspension all around. Is there a sensor for the front too? I have a 3 inch body lift already.

Thanks great thread
Old 01-21-2004, 03:55 AM
Junior User

Voksboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
a few mins later my truck has gain about 1 1/2 at least the rear Now I need to get my front suspension fixed and raise the front too. Thanks guy.

By the way for the people that didn't know, there is a sensor in front too. It looks like the rear one but in the front left tire.

Anyone know how much lift I can get in the front suspension?
Old 01-21-2004, 03:55 AM