1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Air Ride Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Sturge
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Ride Suspension

Originally posted by averygenosi
Wow! I am jealous. I love that! I thought they were only on the rear on the expy. Oh well.
I've got the 4-wheel leveling system too...Believe me, it's not always something to be jealous of!

Old 06-10-2003, 06:33 PM
deanjet
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Ride Suspension

Just a wag (wild a** guess), but the 4 wheel LLS is only on 4 wheel drive trucks?

Old 06-10-2003, 07:25 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Air Ride Suspension

Originally posted by deanjet
Just a wag (wild a** guess), but the 4 wheel LLS is only on 4 wheel drive trucks?
Probably. I'm not sure why, but it seems like something that the FoMoCo would do

XXL

Old 06-11-2003, 08:16 PM
tyger25
Senior User
Air Ride Suspension

I also have the 4 corner, and am having a real hard time finding a lift kit for it.

Old 07-29-2003, 08:13 PM
_EXPY_187
New User
Air Ride Suspension

Hello!!!

I have enjoyed reading this thread, as well as, many others. I bought my Expy last November from a single owner in about new condition. I really luv this truck. However, I knew something was different when I parked it next to my buddies 97 EXPY EB, which was at least 2" taller. I also started to notice that the rear end was sagging. I had lots of questions and started to call local 4x4 places, which none of them knew anthing about EXPYs and LLS. I then took it to a Dealer for a tune-up and started to ask them questions. This lead me to reading the big Tech Manual for a few hours.

Well, just for some additional information to some of the postings in this thread and from the best of what I remember from my reading: the LLS has three positions {neal, trim, 4x4}

--------------------

NEAL Position: is the engine off position and is roughly 1" lower from the trim position. In the manual it stated that it would go to this positions 30mins after the last door is shut. However mine seems to go imediately. (Note this does not help for getting it into a low clearance garage as advertised, unless you are going to push it in )

TRIM Position: is the standard driving positions and is advertised as providing the least amount of wind resistance for highway driving etc. This position is entered after going into gear and above 15mph or something. My truck seems to kick on the compressor right at the turn of the key, sometimes.

4x4 Position: is only entered when in 4x4 low and below 40mph or something. For this mode the truck is roughly 1" above trim (2" above neal) to give more clearance for off road driving.

--------------------

I also wished I had a cockpit switch to control these different levels. I liked the one suggestion earlier to add a second set of calibration bars. However, from reading the Tech Manual it showed the inputs into the LLS and what the electrical characteristics were. It seemed that these could be easily controlled, if they are accessible.

As for my truck, they did an air suspesion diagnostic and found the following fault:

Air Suspension Electrical Variable Orifice (EVO) out-of-range

--- Possible Causes ---

The 4WAS/2WAS Module shall log this DTC when it detects that the EVO is not within normal operating range.
- Suspect 4WAS/2WAS Module

Well, I do not know what the above means and their mechanic for suspensions was on vacation and I have not had a chance to get back.

My truck has the 4 corner air suspension with two calibration bars (one front, one rear). I read an earlier thread on a adjustment for the LLS and finally found it. But after, reading this thread I am tempted to go out in my garage right now and adjust my rear calibration bar But, might wait to go talk to the Ford technician again ... I will give an update soon.

BTW, I am also considering some sort of a lift. I really like what averygenosi has done and would like to get more information

Does FTE = Ford Test Equipment ???

My first post.. sorry so long

Old 07-29-2003, 10:14 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Air Ride Suspension

You guys are really paying a lot of money for dealer parts. Did you consider asking them for a price break? I asked and although they were reluctant to offer the price, I am paying about 60% of list. My reasoning to them was simple: As long as you are making some money on the parts you are making some money from me. And, if they are making some money from me they are making more money than if I buy the part from somewhere else. And yes, I am paying less that if I purchased a true Motorcraft part from the 'local parts house'.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:47 AM
gibsonj
Tuned
Is there a simple way to tell if the air ride suspension is working properly? I have a 2000 EB that I just purchased. Hear the compressor running periodically, usually just after start-up, then every now and then on the road. Thanks!

Old 10-06-2003, 12:16 PM
mexicanmafia
New User
Got '01 EB and don't know if I have an airride suspension. How would I be able to tell if I have one or not.

Old 10-06-2003, 02:10 PM
gibsonj
Tuned
Originally posted by mexicanmafia
Got '01 EB and don't know if I have an airride suspension. How would I be able to tell if I have one or not.

Four ways to tell:

(1) assuming you have it and its functioning properly, you should hear the compressor run shortly after starting. Sounds like a fan rattle/vibration from the passenger side front.

(2) compressor is located on passenger side front near the windshield washer resevoir.

(3) crawl underneath and look for air shocks--rear is easier to spot.

(4) there is a enable/disable switch located behind the passenger side kick panel.

Old 10-08-2003, 11:14 AM
BrokenBlade
New User
Air Suspension

Well, I am new to this forum, but I have been reading some posts regarding the air suspension topic. I had a problem with my compressor. So for the guy I read who had this problem. I ordered a new one and installed it myself. With help you with any details if you need it.

Also, about adjusting the rear sensor to get more lift; I did that as well. Even more, I strectched the bags to see how far they would go. I disconnceted the sensor and shortened it as far as it would go. The truck lifted an additional 7 1/2 inches in the rear measuring from the tire to the wheel well. Pretty high, but would ride around with the bags that tight. It would be pretty stiff, but don't worry about streching them too far, the sensor won't let it, even when it is disconnected and pushed all the way closed.

Unfortunately when retightening my sensor in the bracket, I broke the nut off the bolt that holds the sensor in place. So, be careful not to over torque the nut. Anyone know where I can get another bolt for that thing or do I have to get a new sensor or come up with some other way of doing it?

One more question; Does anyone know how to adjust the front to raise it up?

Good Luck!

Old 10-08-2003, 11:19 AM
BrokenBlade
New User
Rattle/Vibration in compressor Solved.

One more thing guys; before I removed the old compressor, I shook it around like it does itself when running and there was a lot of metal to metal contact and noise around the compressor mounts. So, when I installed the new one I padded any areas that I thought this contact may occur. I used doubled up self adhesive weather stripping/padding. The tape kind, but I gues many things would work.

The results were that the compressor was so quiet, I didn't think it was working at first. Now I can here it, but it doesn't sound like the truck is coming apart!

Old 10-08-2003, 12:15 PM
BrokenBlade
New User
Re: Air Ride Suspension

Originally posted by BigMattXXL
I'm pretty sure a chunk of that is the labor - Ford has a special computer that safely deflates the bags. I'd imagine one could splatter himself pretty good if he were to accidentally tap an air line.

XXL
Hey, I got mine from Arnott Industries. You can find them online. I paid $150 for it. $160 something after next day air. I installed it myself. Read my other posting in this string about what I did. It's not hard to do and will save you a chunk of change.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Daddy4zack
Freshman User
Smile

Sounds like adjusting the level in the back is going to be easy. I just realized that i have air shocks in the front also. so if i have four corner air can i move up both sensors to raise my expo? can i raise them both 3" and get a 3" lift out of it? Where is the front sensor located? Thanks

Aaron

Last edited by Daddy4zack; 10-09-2003 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:17 PM
skocsis
New User
Air suspension disconnect to keep height

It is actually easy to trick the computer. The air suspension switch at the passenger side kick panel passes a 12V signal to the computer to tell it everything is OK. You turn the switch off and it takes away 12V to the GEM and the air ride system disables the automatic kneeling and keeps the height at the existing height. In cruising mode the suspension goes up 1 inch and in 4Low it goes up another inch. I moved my switch to the drivers side where I can turn it on and off when I feel like it. I also wired a relay in series with the switch and when the ignition switch is off the relay disengages opening the circuit. Keeping the truck at the previous height.

Old 10-10-2003, 10:20 PM
rpbrock
Freshman User
Ahem... new guy here, Yes the 4 wheel LLS is only available on the 4x4. The 2WD only has the *** end option. Not only does Ford market this system as a better ride but for the 2 wheeler it is better for towing by keeping the rear end at a safe level with no sag that might cause unsafe driving conditions when trailing. The system on the 4x4 will raise to it's maximum height only when the 4x4 LOW switch is engaged, it won't go to max height in 4x4 HI. But this will give you the extra inch that looks so sweet. Unfortunately, it's not going to be to good on your transfer case, tranny or engine going down the freeway at 6000 RPM although it will be jacked up. But in the dirt going really slow it works great and gives you a little bit extra clearance.

The compressor will lift the truck when you start it up. You may also hear the compressor start up if you are stopped on an incline or decline. The truck is just trying to level its self. The time to worry is if you hear the compressor running for long periods of time or continuously or if the *** end falls to the ground like a low rider. You have a leak somewhere or the connector under the air intake has broken. Besides that the system is pretty self sufficient.

If I were to purchase a new one again, I doubt I would get the LLS since the new design has independent rear suspension which should make the new Expys ride like a dream.

The system is great but it's about time for me to trade out the compressor and drier and probably the front air shocks. I plan to go the Strut-masters/aftermarket route but I would like to go with a after-market front air shocks. If anyone knows of a crossover part that's just as good or better than the Ford part, please post.

BTW skocis has a great idea with the relay.

rpbrock - my 2 cents and trying to hit that 30 posts mark!

Quick Reply: Air Ride Suspension