Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Senior User

deanjet is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air Ride Suspension

$770 for a compressor? Now thats what I call a mark up! If mine ever locks up I will be hitting the internet for a compatable replacement.

Last edited by deanjet; 06-03-2003 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Postmaster

BigMattXXL is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air Ride Suspension

Quote:
Originally posted by deanjet
$770 for a compressor? Now thats what I call a mark up! If mine ever goes ever locks up I will be hitting the internet for a compatable replacement.
I'm pretty sure a chunk of that is the labor - Ford has a special computer that safely deflates the bags. I'd imagine one could splatter himself pretty good if he were to accidentally tap an air line.

XXL
Old 06-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Senior User

Air Ride Suspension

My first hit pulled up this:
http://www.expedition.strutmasters.com/
Old 06-03-2003, 07:30 PM
Postmaster

Air Ride Suspension

Quote:
BOO YAH! Low low prices, and rebuilt in the USA. What more could you ask for?

XXL
Old 06-03-2003, 07:34 PM
Elder User

Petrol is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air Ride Suspension

WOW! deanjet, thanks for the link. I will now know what to do if I need help with this.

BTW, while on the subject of compressors . . . I wonder if a person might be able to install a fitting that would allow the use of this already on-board compressor to be used to inflate a low tire?
Old 06-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Senior User

Air Ride Suspension

I would recommend doing what I did. I bought a 12V compressor that you plug into a cigarette lighter. Mine cost about 40 dollars and it is supposed to "fill truck tires in just a few minutes" Well, I would love to know thier definition of a few minutes. A rough guess is that it takes a little over half a minute PER p.s.i. to fill up a tire. Now multiple that by 4 tires and you could be running the pump for well over ten minutes.
This is why I recommend spending a few dollars on a plug in pump. I would hate to see someone fill thier tires in the middle of nowhere and burn out the air suspension pump. I know they would be towing a thirty foot camper down a 20 mile dirt road, cursing my name every inch of the way! I would rather replace a throw away $40 pump than a fixed $770 pump.
Maybe this would not happen, it looks like Ford has built in a thermal protection device in the pump. Here is a quote from the manual:
CAUTION: Do not allow the air compressor to run for more than three minutes. The air compressor could overheat and stop operation due to an internal temperature sensitive thermal breaker.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:26 AM
Senior User

Sturge is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air Ride Suspension

Quote:
Cool! $150 versus $770? I'm going to sloooowly release the grip on my ankles and try to extract myself from this precarious position this morning. I'll let you know how things go when I tell the dealer that this session is over!

98 EB 4X4 5.4L
Old 06-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Senior User

Sturge is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air Ride Suspension

For a mere $152 I was able to get away from the Ford Dealer with a diagnostics charge and a $75 FREAKIN' dollar "restocking charge" for the compressor they had ordered. The compressor is $360 and the relay is $96 from Ford.

Thanks to deanjet I have ordered a rebuilt unit from Strutmasters.com. I spoke with Gary who was very helpful. Says you should spend the $40 and buy a reconditioned DRIER when buying a new compressor. Over time, the drier becomes less effective and allows moisture to get to the compressor which is BAD - some of you may want to look into replacing your drier BEFORE your compressor craps out. Drier connects to the compressor - there are to different driers, one for 4 wheel leveling and one for rear wheel leveling (more inputs to drier). He claims replacement of compressor/drier not that difficult and any "home mechanic" should be successful. I got the compressor and drier shipped 2nd day air for $16 (they are in NC, I'm in CT). When I get the old compressor out, I slap it in the box and send it back (he provides return shipping label). When they get it they send me a $25 check for core return making it $150 total.

So....I still need to get the relay which NOBODY has but Ford. I'll be picking one of those little overpriced puppies tonite and hope to get the compressor/drier Friday. With any luck, I'll be back on the road this weekend. I'll provide info on how the install goes. Thanks to all who posted!
98 EB 4X4 5.4L
Old 06-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Elder User

Petrol is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air Ride Suspension

Another satisfied FTE member!
Old 06-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Senior User

Air Ride Suspension

WOW, glad my information was helpful.
The more I thought about it, the less you need Ford to change the compressor.
1.) The system should have no aircharge left (sounds like your truck suspension is bottomed out on the bump stops).
2.) The compressor looks very easy to change.
3.) No adjustments should be needed to the LLS since you have made no changes to any sensors.
Good luck with the swap.
This kind of reminds me when I bought an EGR valve for my wifes turbo charged Ford Probe a few years ago. I called the dealer, $128 for the valve. I called a local auto parts supplier that carries "Motorcraft" parts, $36 for the same valve. I went to local auto parts store and bought the valve after verifying that it was the correct valve. The parts store told me that I would have to reuse my metal crush gasket since it was a dealer only part. Being an aircraft mechanic, I decided not to reuse the gasket. I went to the Ford dealership and asked to purchase the gasket. The person there recognized me and said, "oh, you need the EGR valve also, right?" I told him that I bought a Motorcraft EGR valve already for $36. Then the parts guy said, "Well, you might have a box with the right part number on it, and it might say Motorcraft on the outside of the box, but I guarantee you that you do not have the correct part, much less a Motorcraft part." Well, to make a long story short, I went out to the car, got my valve, and brought it back in while the dealership guy got his valve. We compared both valves, and in the end the dealership guy admitted that I had the right valve and that it was a "Motorcraft" part. What the dealership guy refused to explain was the price difference. And yes, I did tell him my theory on the price differance, he did not like it.

Last edited by deanjet; 06-05-2003 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:23 AM
Postmaster

Air Ride Suspension

Sounds like the makings of a happy ending. I might look into a new drier - $40 now is better than $200 later!

XXL
Old 06-10-2003, 02:04 AM
Senior User

keith8898 is starting off with a positive reputation.
bruinsfan8898
Air Ride Suspension

My father just bought a 2000 EXpy with the air ride suspension. I am not really familiar with them other than what i have read here so forgive the dumb question.

Is this air ride suspension on all four wheels....and does it adjust side to side as well as front two back? Like the Lincoln marks? if you went into a rotory it would level you off while cornering?

Thank you.
2005 41' Chateau TT 2 Slides 9500#
(Parked Seasonal now)
Snow Camping Baby!!
2000 Itasca Deisel Pusher NASCAR!!
Winter Towing...
05 F7
03 A/C ZL 600
03 Z370
05 Polaris Edge Touring
Old 06-10-2003, 02:17 AM
Freshman User

averygenosi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air Ride Suspension

keith8898: " My father just bought a 2000 EXpy with the air ride suspension. I am not really familiar with them other than what i have read here so forgive the dumb question.

Is this air ride suspension on all four wheels....and does it adjust side to side as well as front two back? Like the Lincoln marks? if you went into a rotory it would level you off while cornering? "

Actually the Expedition should just have the airbags in the rear. The Navigator will have the option for all four wheels but the Expy should be just in the rear. Since it is only in the back it is used just to keep the truck 'level' so you can load up the truck with either gear or a trailer and the truck will not sag in the rear. It will pump it self up to make the truck level again. It is a 'Load Leveling System.'

I put about a 1400 lbs in the back of my truck this week end and the truck sagged until I turned the ignition. The truck's onboard compressor pumped up the rear airbags until the truck was level again. When I pulled out the weight the truck sat 3 inches higher than normal! When I turned the ignition again the truck released air out of the airbags and it again sat level.

Unfortunately the it does not adjust side to side. And it is Identical to the Lincoln Marks except being on a larger scale. It will not level you off when cornering.

The load leveling system is designed just to keep your truck level so you can drive safely when loaded. I think the system is wonderful!
Old 06-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Postmaster

Air Ride Suspension

Quote:
[i]
Actually the Expedition should just have the airbags in the rear. The Navigator will have the option for all four wheels but the Expy should be just in the rear. Since it is only in the back it is used just to keep the truck 'level' so you can load up the truck with either gear or a trailer and the truck will not sag in the rear. It will pump it self up to make the truck level again. It is a 'Load Leveling System.'

[/B]
I've got 4 corner LLS. The rear comes up first, like on the old musclecars, then the nose comes up and levels with the rear.

XXL
Old 06-10-2003, 02:34 AM
Freshman User

averygenosi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air Ride Suspension

Wow! I am jealous. I love that! I thought they were only on the rear on the expy. Oh well.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:34 AM