Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
New User

Crash80 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A sub volume control question

I did a search but did not find an answer to my question. I bought an 08 Expy EB with the 6 disc changer, 7 speaker set up. Am I correct in that you cannot control the level of the subwoofer? I came out of an 08 Honda Element SC with a slammin little factoy stereo set up that allowed control over bass and treble as well as how much sub you wanted to dial in...I am not seeing that option on this Ford. Being a pro audio guy, this bums me out to no end.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Senior User

mtondreo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
you are correct that there is no separate control for it. However, if you install an aftermarket deck with sub control - it will control it. The wire kit converts it to rca's at the deck.
previous 2003 F150 Supercrew (love the Expy, but still missed, if only you were 4x4)
1987 Ranger 4x4 (RIP)
Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtondreo View Post
you are correct that there is no separate control for it. However, if you install an aftermarket deck with sub control - it will control it. The wire kit converts it to rca's at the deck.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the factory nav unit would allow for the sub control I am after, or is aftermarket my only option?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Senior User

RI-Matt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash80 View Post
Do you know if the factory nav unit would allow for the sub control I am after, or is aftermarket my only option?
Factory NAV only has bass and treble controls like the basic radio. It does have the DSP (digital sound processor) option to adjust for drivers seat, all seats, and rear seat positions. Not sure if the basic radio has that option.

Matt
Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 AM
New User

Thanks for all the help fellas.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Senior User

CarbonClear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Theres another option you can consider. It will add more cost, but its just my 02.
I felt that the subwoofer that came from factory was not enough. My truck came with the factory navigation and wanted to keep the factory look as much possible due to my work surroundings. So I removed the factory subwoofer to allow room to mount a amp. I added a 10 inch subwoofer in the rear with a sub base remote. The sub base remote was mounted on the front fascia under the nav. I used that setup for over a year, until I got the mod bug again and happen to come across a good deal on a aftermarket nav unit and replaced the factory nav. Either way you can't go wrong and good luck
2004 Honda Crv
2003 Ford F350 XLT, 7.3 Diesel 4x4 (Sold)
2001 Porsche Carrera Cab
Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonClear View Post
Theres another option you can consider. It will add more cost, but its just my 02.
I felt that the subwoofer that came from factory was not enough. My truck came with the factory navigation and wanted to keep the factory look as much possible due to my work surroundings. So I removed the factory subwoofer to allow room to mount a amp. I added a 10 inch subwoofer in the rear with a sub base remote. The sub base remote was mounted on the front fascia under the nav. I used that setup for over a year, until I got the mod bug again and happen to come across a good deal on a aftermarket nav unit and replaced the factory nav. Either way you can't go wrong and good luck
Thanks. I have been researching some sort of aftermarket sub volume control unit and that is probably the route I will take with this Expy.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Senior User

eddiemoney is starting off with a positive reputation.
The factory sub won't really react much different with any sort of control, you really need to replace it. If i recall, when i took the sub out to look at it, it was very shallow mount (2ish inches) and a 1.7 ohm DVC...almost impossible to replace. You are better off either a) mounting an amp under the seat and building a custom sub enclosure in the existing place or b) amp in the sub location and a sub somewhere else (maybe just a box sitting in the back.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemoney View Post
The factory sub won't really react much different with any sort of control, you really need to replace it. If i recall, when i took the sub out to look at it, it was very shallow mount (2ish inches) and a 1.7 ohm DVC...almost impossible to replace. You are better off either a) mounting an amp under the seat and building a custom sub enclosure in the existing place or b) amp in the sub location and a sub somewhere else (maybe just a box sitting in the back.
I can appreciate that. Even if I went this route, I would still want to have seperate sub volume control. I am not the type of guy that likes a license plate rattle low end experience but I still like being able to dial in how much boom I get. Having the bass level and sub level locked together is just plain idiotic in my books. I appreciate your comments and will keep your comments in mind when I get around to this project. Right now I am just dumping gas into this thing at a rate of mind boggling.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Senior User

CarbonClear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Every 3-4 days for me
2004 Honda Crv
2003 Ford F350 XLT, 7.3 Diesel 4x4 (Sold)
2001 Porsche Carrera Cab
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator