Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truth in advertising... Replacement Vinyl Flooring

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:32 AM
bc4x4f250
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truth in advertising... Replacement Vinyl Flooring

So, I'm moving forward with replacing the interior of our truck... Took time to look at several companies, and wanted to make sure we got a quality-made vinyl replacement floor. Thought we picked the right one...

Hey, all trucks are the same... right? What I mean to say is how is it that a company can sell you a replacement unit, specific to your exact vehicle, and NOT be bothered to put in the specific holes required for said vehicle? How pathetic is it that a company can't be bothered to die-cut the damn transmission and 4x4 shifter holes? As if the floor in any 1987 Ford F250 Supercab 4x4 Manual Transmission pickup is different from the next?

The company holds up the order for two days, just to be sure that what we ordered is what we want (yeah, that's it... glad we checked our e-mail). Then sends a generic piece of flooring, letting us figure out where the holes are to be placed. A generic piece that they do not even make...

'Well sir, ALL aftermarket companies do this...'

"BUT YOUR COMPANY STATES NOWHERE ON YOUR WEBSITE THAT THESE REPLACEMENT UNITS ARE NOT CUT TO ORDER!!!"

'Sir, if you're not happy we will be glad to take it back...'

"WHY DOES YOUR COMPANY NOT DECLARE THERE ARE NO HOLES IN THE PRODUCT???"

'Sir, we're just going 'round in circles...'

"Yeah, thanks for your amazingly exact description of your product..."

It's SoCal... It's almost 90 degrees (@ 9am - which is great for putting rubbing in your truck)... I just want to drive to Punxsutawney PA and ring some damn bells...

A simple declaration would have made the deal a little bit more understandable; NO VINYL FLOORING HAS PRE-CUT HOLES

Instead, I'm ready to learn how to blow up websites...

Just Another Day In Paradise...

Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
To do what you suggest, the company would essentially have to triple their inventory, greatly increasing their costs. It doesn't seem that hard to cut a couple of holes...

Old 06-28-2012, 03:58 PM
bc4x4f250
Junior User
You are so right... it ain't nothing to cut a couple of holes. Then again, judging this vinyl floor, this company is full of crap, claiming that the piece is MOLDED TO FIT each specific truck. I would wager that ANY vinyl flooring sold, for any given cab size, is the same (i.e; a 1979 Supercab floor is no different from a 1997 Supercab)

Caveat Emptor... I screwed myself on this one. The vinyl flooring does not install like a glove, let alone install no better than a huge wet noodle.

So, as a word to others wishing to forge ahead with a new vinyl floor, make darn sure you know what you are getting. As well, do not expect the product to fit anything - save for a flat piece of real estate.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:28 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Does the advertising literature state there are holes for things like shifters and floor-mounted switches?

Probably not.

Then, why would you assume it has holes, and then get all pissy about it when you see it doesn't?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:26 PM
bc4x4f250
Junior User
Yes... I blew it when ordering this product. It is noted that holes need to be cut. I won't make any excuse for my complete ignorance of this, as well as my exaggerated overreaction.

BUT, that is the least of one's problems... just 'Google' Ford pickup molded vinyl flooring. You go to the website, and find this declaration;

'Complete replacement molded vinyl kits are available for Ford F-150, F-250, F-350, F-450 and F550 pickup trucks.'

This product is anything but MOLDED. It is nothing more than sheet vinyl, with a pebble-grain pattern molded in. It does not conform to the various angles and bends found in any pickup cab. Which will now require finding a suitable item (50# bags of rice?) to lay out on the floor (on each side), taking more days away from using it, just to try and get this molded vinyl floor to fit the contours of the cab.

Further, it still requires slicing/cutting the vinyl in order to get it to fit in extremely tight places (like, up under the dash/ back corners of the cab) - which is not what one typically wants to do (and causes that one-piece vinyl flooring to become vulnerable to liquids getting underneath it).

It has been a great day to install, since it is hovering around 90 degrees... but you can only go so far, and this day is toast. I'll start in bright and early tomorrow. I will likely be a lot less hot under the collar (literally and figuratively).

> Is it a high-quality vinyl product? Yes.
> Is it something I would order again? I would really have to be in dire need (like, not be able to find an OEM unit anywhere - at most any price (even double what I paid).
> Will I be happy with it, once it is completely and finally installed? Yes (but I will still have these issues nagging me for a long time to come - especially if this floor binds up at all around the transmission hump, like it is doing right now).

*** Note the item was shipped in a box [18" W x 40" L x 10" H], folded over in half, and rolled up (that would be quite a trick to ship any molded item in such a manner, when it actually lays out at about 72" x 84"). ***

What we have learned:

1) Read all of the advertising!

2) Read it all, twice!!

3) Realize that there is likely NO manufacturer offering MOLDED/FITTED Vinyl Flooring for ANY pickups.

4) Some pictures on the internet are not worth the electricity consumed to view them ("Yeah, that's exactly what we need - it's molded perfectly!").

5) Just because a business displays seventy-nine (79) different possibilities for their flooring does not mean they have seventy-nine (79) different products in stock.

6) I am willing to wager that any company offering vinyl flooring for pickups has one roll of vinyl in the warehouse - and somebody slices off a piece when orders roll in.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Roger T. Pipe
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The last replacement carpet I bought also was NOT cut. However, what they did stencil the underside where you would need to cut out for 4x4 shifter, trans shifter, etc. That was an excellent idea, IMHO. Doesn't take much to do that and adds zero cost to the carpet. I just wish I remember which vendor I purchased it from.
Roger