General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

HP laptop VS wireless internet access

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
HP laptop VS wireless internet access

Having recently moved, I now have a new internet service. My mother in law let me borrow her netbook for a time so I could talk to the wife and kids on Skype, but now that they are here with me I needed to get my wife's laptop online. It's not that new, and runs Vista. I absolutely could not get it to connect to the internet. It would see the network and connect, but would give local access only. It worked great on unsecured networks. My phone, the netbook, and my wife's phone connected to the home network just fine, but the laptop would not. I went to HP's site and downloaded the wireless adapter drivers (on the netbook, and then transferred via thumb drive) with no change. I finally broke down and called Comcast. Comcast customer service sucks. I reset everything several times before calling, and then they told me to reset everything again, and even remotely reset the modem. No change. They then transferred me to their "premium help" department, who told me I had to pay for this service.
Long story slightly shorter, after hanging up on the salesman, I did some more searching. I came across an article that stated the HP and Windows-sourced drivers are not the latest and are not compatible with a lot of equipment, and to use a service called Drivermax. The computer in question has to be online to use the service, so I plugged into the modem and was able to identify and download the correct driver in minutes. Works great now.
So, if you have a computer that refuses to connect to a secure network, try Drivermax to update the wifi driver. It worked very well.
If you're reading this and you work for Comcast, your customer service is horrible. You should be ashamed.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's pretty funny.

I just received Comcast internet service two day ago, works really well. The first sales guy on the phone was charging me $75 to have WiFi at the home as well as their Blast 20 mbps internet speed.

I okay'd it as I was wanting fast service but after talking with two of my brothers who both work on computers they said to not get the WiFi, I can get a wifi box and just connect it to the modem.

Called Comcast to tell them I would only be needing the modem and the lady I spoke with this time around was super helpful, said that unless I was an on online gamer I didn't even need the Bast, that their regular service was 12 mbps which is 3 x's as fast as their nearest competitor's speed.

Install guys showed up the next morning, they had me down for the WiFi. I told them I called back yesterday evening and pulled out of that deal. Lead tech then installed and gave me WiFi for free. No $45 installation fee and no monthly fee for the wireless.

I'm using a brand new Hp Pavilion desk top, AMD Dual Core E-300 processor @ 1.30 GHz, Radeon Graphics, 500 GB hard drive and 4 GB RAM DDR3 on a 64 bit operating system.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Look at the bright side. Comcast's service may suck, but so do some of the others. At least your speed is decent. I deal with poor customer service and can't wait for the day when I can get a connection that's up over 1 mbps on a consistent basis.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Oh, the speed is awesome, best I've ever had and it's only $50 a month. The service they provide is spectacular, but the customer service is horrific.
I almost didn't get this service anyways, I called at first already knowing what I wanted, I called on my lunch break and first had about ten minutes of hold time. I finally got connected with a woman who sounded fresh out of the slums, and spoke very little actual proper English. I gave her my info, and said i know what package I want, it's X for $49 a month. She then spent the next five minutes asking questions about what sort of stuff do I do online, and what sort of speed I wanted, and telling me all about their promotional packages. I finally ran out of time for this game, and told her she took too long, I need to go and hung up. I called back later that afternoon, and got a guy who actually understood that I had some intelligence and knew what I wanted. He skipped the script, got me set up and we were done in five minutes. I just wish that that sort of service wasn't the minority of my experiences with them.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm using Cableone 50Mbps for $62 a month running 2 laptops, a desktop, Wii and Kindel Fire in my network.
I also connect my Motorola Milestone II phone to the network.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 AM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F350-6
Look at the bright side. Comcast's service may suck, but so do some of the others. At least your speed is decent. I deal with poor customer service and can't wait for the day when I can get a connection that's up over 1 mbps on a consistent basis.
Where exactly on Antarctica do you live? That sucks.

Before I got this Comcast I bought Clear modem on the net to save a few bucks. They sell for $75 new, bought it for $40, previously used for three hours.

Turned out in the middle of this 5 million person city I live in there was no Clear service available.

I got stuck with that damn modem and $40 poorer.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:29 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Read em and weep boys.

Apparently 9% of you folks (in the US) are in worse shape than me. Glad I'm not last.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Good Lord, how long did it take you to copy and post that?

Here's mine. It's gotten faster over the past few days.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
My upload isn't as fast as I'd like, but the download is good for me:

My last service was Microserve out near Idaho Falls, and it was 1.5 up and down. Here,s though, I'm paying for 4, and it does get much faster after about 11pm. A portion of this speed may be the painfully slow netbook I'm using to post this as well. I'll do another test on the laptop later.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
My last service was Microserve out near Idaho Falls, and it was 1.5 up and down. Here,s though, I'm paying for 4, and it does get much faster after about 11pm. A portion of this speed may be the painfully slow netbook I'm using to post this as well. I'll do another test on the laptop later.
Microserv!?!? LOL... Their wireless service sucks (as you've found out). We've had pretty good luck with CableOne - not the greatest, but it's OK...

I think whatever the daughter is doing is driving the ping up, but the speeds are pretty consistent for the package we're paying for...