Sponsored by: Moser

please help im bad stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM
HoustonGuy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help im bad stuck

4 days ago i was driving round the pasture and I went to our pond, so i thought i could drive next to it to get around it...bad mistake. I was just driving on dirt until SPLAT! the drivers side of the truck got sunk in. the back isnt in to bad of a rut. but the front is stuck in lake slime( the kind of mud which you take one step in and then your up to your waist in it). So we dug out the rear axle and put the tractor on it (Ford 4000) pulled it and it moved a little but then wouldnt budge. Could we hook 2 big winches up the both sides of the frame in the back or would that cause dammage? Let me know, the truck is a 1977 ford f150 with 1979 steering on the front axle.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
pictures of how your stuck, and the surroniding area might help? can't say much not knowin the area...

Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not being able to see the particulars, I would say to just be careful not to 'ladder' the frame. An even pull from the hitch in the center of the rear bumper would be preferable to pulling on each side of it separately.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Yeehaw1
pictures of how your stuck, and the surroniding area might help? can't say much not knowin the area...
even if they don't help .... i kinda just wanna see

i would think that if you are pulling in line with the frame rails, especially if you have one strap on each side, the worst you could do is nothing..... or detach the rear bumper.

might help to hook to the frame, like you said, then use the lowest hitch point possible on the tractor, the goal being to use the straps to pull downward on the back of the truck to help lift the front out of the bog.

pics will get ya reps

Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 PM
HoustonGuy
Junior User
I want to put up a picture but I cant upload one on here, dont know how

Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 PM
piratius
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm assuming you tried pulling it out of the muck while running the motor and in reverse at the same time as pulling with the tractor? Did you just ease into the power/clutch on the tractor, or did you give it a good jerk or two? First thing would be to figure out what's hanging up one of the wheels - if it's that badly stuck, it almost has to be wedged against something. You may try cutting the wheels back and forth with it in reverse while pulling on it with the tractor - you might get lucky and have it pop right out, or catch on the lip and lift enough that the tractor can get it out.

You could hook up two trucks with winches, one to each side of the frame, and pull, as long as it's a fairly straight pull. You should also consider ****** blocks on both winches to double the pulling power - turns a 10,000lb winch into a 20,000lb winch!

You could also try pulling it with the tractor in the middle, and two trucks with winches on either side. This would probably be overkill, and if you yanked on it too hard, you might end up tearing a spring hangar off the truck, or do some other unpleasant damage.

Let us know how it goes! Take a picture of how stuck you so we can appreciate how bad it is!

-Brad

Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 PM
gpence
Elder User
PIC'S or it never happened! LOL

Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy
I want to put up a picture but I cant upload one on here, dont know how
How to post pictures link

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ket-101-a.html

Test your posting prowess!

Testing..... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Now get us some pictures please!

I'd think 2 winches would be overkill, but then again, depending on the situation... I've not been so bad of stuck that the tractor couldn't pull me out but a handfull of times, and then the Dozer did it every time...

Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I would think a winch (or two) hooked to a tractor, especially a big one, would go a long way toward getting you out. the tractor may not have enough traction to drive you out, but it will be awefully hard to drag the tractor backwards if you just use it as a anchor for the winch.

if you were to call a wrecker, that's what he would do. he would park the truck where it is hard, and pull you out with a cable.

Like VocaTexas said, just try to pull somewhat evenly on each fram rail, or from the center, if you are going to hook to the frame.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I used to run a wrecker and went on HUNDREDS of winch calls. (Also did quite a bit four wheelin' in my day)

First of all, your stuck because the watery mud is forming a suction under your wheel. If you have a tow hitch, pull on THAT. Don't go to one side of the frame or the other. I guarantee you'll pull rivets loose if you do. A tractor may NOT be a good enough anchor point., I had two ****** blocks on a twin boom Kodiac wrecker. I was parked on PAVEMENT with all six wheels locked down trying to pull out a truck just off the pavement. (suctioned down in watery mud) All I did was pull my truck backwards. It took a Kenworth wrecker with a 50,000 lb winch to pop it out. (it was a 24' straight truck, though)

A situation similar to yours was when a friend had a jeep suctioned in a mud hole. A four wheel drive wrecker came out. He had two 15K winches on the back and a 10K on the front. (Bad **** wrecker that I really wanted to own after that) He used the front winch to tie off to a tree and J-hooked the axle that was stuck with the two rear winches. he lifted UP and OUT at the same time and it popped loose.

UP to break the suction, OUT to pull it away. It's the only way you're gonna do it.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:57 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Originally Posted by gpence
PIC'S or it never happened! LOL
^^^^What gpence said^^^

Been snatched out of alot of mud holes and never damaged anything yet...But dont wrap it around the axle, Take a tow rope and wrap it around each side of the frame and back to create a Y in the line, The pull with a ****** rope or a winch not a chain....Chains break.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 what Kobalt said, chains break and kill.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Jon351m
Senior User
I had this same problem...drove around a pond and the front end made it across but the rear just kinda sank. it being 2wd meant I was screwed. Long story short we ended up getting a total of 5 trucks stuck and a stock 93? F150 pulled out a jimmy and a huge dodge that had both sunk to the axles. Took a rather large wrecker to pull me and the F250 that attempted to pull me out, out. lesson learned. STAY AWAY FROM THE POND! lol

Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Howell05
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jon351m
I had this same problem...drove around a pond and the front end made it across but the rear just kinda sank. it being 2wd meant I was screwed. Long story short we ended up getting a total of 5 trucks stuck and a stock 93? F150 pulled out a jimmy and a huge dodge that had both sunk to the axles. Took a rather large wrecker to pull me and the F250 that attempted to pull me out, out. lesson learned. STAY AWAY FROM THE POND! lol

lol. loose the ford and get a boat!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A Ford 4000 tractor isn't a very big tractor either. We used to own a 5000 and still have a 7000. If you aren't getting enough traction with the tractor, or if you are and it just can't pull it, then you will probably need a wrecker or something with a pretty stout winch to pull it out.

Side note: Harbor Freight had their 10k winch on sale the last time I looked...

Good luck. If you were closer, I'd come help. I'm about 300 miles from Houston, though.

Quick Reply: please help im bad stuck