6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

CCV - Open Air Discharge VS Return

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 PM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CCV - Open Air Discharge VS Return

I have procrastinated long enough and after my second Cac Boot replacement it is time to take the plunge before changing the boots again. I have researched the heck out of this and some of you guys are just venting out to open air, some of you are running the Racor CCV canisters and routing back into the engine. I myself think it would be better to vent out to open air and keep that crud out of the engine altogether as long as no harm can come to the engine and the feds aren't slapping a fine in your hands. I am assuming from everything I have read, that vacuum is not necessary with these engines as far as the CCV goes and that it is fine to vent to open air?

Here's the deal.... I live in a province that does not have the crazy strict emissions controls yet (knock on wood) so I do not care if it vents to the open air etc. That being said though... I do not want a puddle of oil on my driveway either. I looked at the kit being sold by BD Diesel and I cannot justify spending $342.00 on something I have seen done on this forum for under $50.

What if I did vent to open air but I ran the hose up a bit of an angle from the valve cover before giving a nice gradual declined slope down the frame rails. This could possibly make the oil condense on that upward slope and drain back into the valve cover and any oil that did get by would be minimal and would still have slope so it didn't plug up in the line (therefore minimizing the possibility of oil leaking out the hose at the open end.

What do you guys think?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:04 AM
JIM_C
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the way I've had mine for several years. The hose terminates under the fuel filler tube near the rear quarter panel. There is oil residue on the quarter panel but I've never seen it drip on the driveway or anywhere else.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
berick
Elder User
Originally Posted by JIM_C
That's the way I've had mine for several years. The hose terminates under the fuel filler tube near the rear quarter panel. There is oil residue on the quarter panel but I've never seen it drip on the driveway or anywhere else.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Have you ever had any kind of mechanical problems or leaks related to the CCV Reroute? I can deal with a little bit of grime on the underside as long as it isn't making a mess on my driveway or causing mechanical problems.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:51 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
No problems or leaks. Just a whiff of it now and then, which is not horrible but it isn't a bed of roses either.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Smokeispower
Senior User
The only concern I had with running a hose along the frame rail was that condensation could build up in a cold climate (like yours) and plug the hose. No facts to back that up, just a consideration I had with the whole setup. I guess if the hose came up as you suggested and then dropped down to the passenger footwell and ended there it should be OK? I was thinking of running it to the back of the truck.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 AM
florida_1959
Senior User
I have had one open for some time now and have done the "lowest point" loop to eliminate any liquids exiting the tube. And with 120K on the clock, I dont see actual liquid at all, just the ocassional wiff of the crankcase fumes. I have it just running along the frame rail and pointing down just past the fuel filter. Some people have put a little breather filter over the end fo the hose. I know that the couple of times I have had my CAC hoses off since installing, they are nice and dry, not like the oil film of before.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:13 AM
berick
Elder User
I would really like to hear from someone who lives in a cold climate in regard to this mod and the way I had intended to do it. We can get as cold as -49 degrees fahrenheit here in the winters and it's going to have quite a different outcome over someone say from Florida. As mentioned earlier I want to get away from any kind of ice damning that may happen.... I thought the incline would drop the oil back down and then with the gradual downward slope it would take care of damning issues past the engine bay. If there are any Alaska guys or fellow canucks on here that could maybe chime in with their experiences that would be great.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM
F250BlackChrome
Freshman User
Originally Posted by florida_1959
I have had one open for some time now and have done the "lowest point" loop to eliminate any liquids exiting the tube. And with 120K on the clock, I dont see actual liquid at all, just the ocassional wiff of the crankcase fumes. I have it just running along the frame rail and pointing down just past the fuel filter. Some people have put a little breather filter over the end fo the hose. I know that the couple of times I have had my CAC hoses off since installing, they are nice and dry, not like the oil film of before.
I've been running mine with open exiting right before the fuel tank. Done this mod when truck was new. I now have 115,000 miles on the truck and saw a couple of drops once in the garage. That is it. Only issue is the smell when you change the oil.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:19 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
It does seem to smell right after an oil change. Mine is also run down the frame rail and sticks down by the fuel filter. I think it would take alot of condensation to plug up a 1 inch hose. Just do it, you wont be sorry.