Sponsored by: Moser

"The Great Pumpkin/The Orange Blossom Special" 1978 F-100 Custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 AM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Great Pumpkin/The Orange Blossom Special" 1978 F-100 Custom

Well Figured it was high time I made a build thread for my old truck...
I found the truck on Craigslist the week before my 20th Birthday, went and looked at it, almost didn't buy it... But my Dad talked me into it... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! I bought a truck... Again...
Loaded it up and Drug it home...

Started to just swap some headers on, fix the starter wiring issue, and just drive it... that didn't last long...
Here's a crappy Iphone Video of my 351-w running with open Headers...
1990 351-w in a 78 F-100 - YouTube
I took the old hood off to swap it for a better one...

It wasn't but a couple days later I decided to pull the motor and trans to do a couple small tweaks...

That's where my restoration dream started... I figured I'd have it done by the middle of May... It's almost July... Well, anyway, a few days went by, and my motor parts started coming in, and that's when I painted my block, and mocked it up...

Since then a few things have changed on it, like my Dad thought it would be a good idea to paint the Pulley's Stop sign Red He seems to like it though, so for now I'll deal with it (besides, I don't want to have to pressure was the paint off them again)
Well, a couple weeks of part gatherin (and truck buyin), and I got it to this point...

Pretty much down, time to start the few minor patches, and repairs...
Well, no pics of in progress, but I got the Cab and Frame pretty well degunked, and cleaned...
I then went on a crazed search for a 40-20-40 seat from a 90's model extended cab Well, I found one in a junkyard, but the guy wouldn't sell it to me, unless I bought the hole truck (If I had the xtra cash I would've... Blue and white 2 tone 96' 7.3 powerstroke 5spd) So I looked around a bit more, and came up with this 60-40 out of a 02? F-150 2wd with one of the Triton V8's, had a lot of goofy flames on it (including chrome flame tint on the Black limo tinted windows)

then one night after work I came home to this...

It's been pretty well at that stage while I track down a few much needed parts to start putting it back together...
Thanks for taking time to read this, and I'll keep you posted

Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Looking great, keep up the work and and look forward to watcing it come back to life.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Stinky7-11
Elder User

Originally Posted by Yeehaw1
Well Figured it was high time I made a build thread for my old truck...

It's been pretty well at that stage while I track down a few much needed parts to start putting it back together...
Thanks for taking time to read this, and I'll keep you posted
Will the completed truck be Orange? Help keep Orange alive! nice work,keep it comming.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:28 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Subscribed !

Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 AM
LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 AM
shotgun2
Senior User
i love it.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
So far so good. Keep plugging away at it.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stinky7-11
Will the completed truck be Orange? Help keep Orange alive! nice work,keep it comming.
Yes, a Mettalic Orange (I wanted to keep it the factory color, but I'm just not that fond of the Orange that was on it)

Probably something around this color
http://myweb.cableone.net/hn1/invent...range_2002.jpg

Originally Posted by ChiefM
Looking great, keep up the work and and look forward to watcing it come back to life.
Originally Posted by KingBigJoe
Subscribed !
Originally Posted by LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Looks great!
Originally Posted by shotgun2
i love it.
Originally Posted by earthquake68
So far so good. Keep plugging away at it.
Wow, never expected this much support, Thanks Y'all

No major updates, spent most of the day today lost in Kentucky...
But I came back with this...

The bed itself is for another of my trucks (you can see it in the background of the second pic), but the fenders may be used on this truck (gotta decide which set is better, both need a bit of work)
That's it for today

Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 PM
OrangeBeast
Senior User
That metallic copper color will look really nice on your truck; I am sure you will end up liking it.

When I first went to purchase my truck, I expected it to be a darker red almost a burgundy/purple color from what it looked like in the Craigslist picture. However, when i arrived it was metallic copper. At first I wasn't sure about the color but after a little bit it grew on me and now I am digging it. When I actually repaint it to put a real paint job on it, not the half-assed one a previous owner put on there, I will keep it the same color.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by OrangeBeast
That metallic copper color will look really nice on your truck; I am sure you will end up liking it.

When I first went to purchase my truck, I expected it to be a darker red almost a burgundy/purple color from what it looked like in the Craigslist picture. However, when i arrived it was metallic copper. At first I wasn't sure about the color but after a little bit it grew on me and now I am digging it. When I actually repaint it to put a real paint job on it, not the half-assed one a previous owner put on there, I will keep it the same color.

the one on the jeep? Yeah, that one I like, it's the orange that my truck was (somewhat) painted when i got it that I don't care for...Probably could've been clearer when i typed that...

It looks almost Burgundy in that picture, untill you look right by the windshield. Looks good on it!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 AM
OrangeBeast
Senior User
Sorry I was referring to the one on the jeep I just forgot to type those words...the hands weren't moving as fast as the brain

The jeep color is very close to what mine looks like in person. If you think my truck looks burgandy in that pic, you should have seen the CL one, it was even darker looking. That's why I was pretty surprised when I pulled up to it. I don't rally dig that color, but for some reason it looks good on the ole Ford. I need to get a better pic in full sun or something; I am just not a camera wiz.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by OrangeBeast
Sorry I was referring to the one on the jeep I just forgot to type those words...the hands weren't moving as fast as the brain

The jeep color is very close to what mine looks like in person. If you think my truck looks burgandy in that pic, you should have seen the CL one, it was even darker looking. That's why I was pretty surprised when I pulled up to it. I don't rally dig that color, but for some reason it looks good on the ole Ford. I need to get a better pic in full sun or something; I am just not a camera wiz.
No big, I figured it out

really? wow, that paint plays tricks in the light then just what i want!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
Due to the outrageous heat this past week, and the wicked storm that we had last week, I haven't got much of anything done...
Tempurature is supposed to be back down in the 80's next week, and we've got the storm most of the way cleaned up...
So I'll be back at er next week.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM
1973 Ford F100
New User
That truck is looking good, Yeehaw.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:23 PM
LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Senior User
I havent got much done on my dent either. This heat has been kickin my ***, got up to 109 today in Ohio!

Quick Reply: "The Great Pumpkin/The Orange Blossom Special" 1978 F-100 Custom