Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Drag strips in Iowa?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drag strips in Iowa?

I have lived out here for almost 2 years now and have never heard anyone talking about drag racing. When I lived in Colorado I would go to Bandimere speedway 2 times a year for Ford Fest and Truck Fest. Of course I sold my Turbo Ranger a few years ago so haven't really felt the need to race but it is a fun time even in a stock truck (or car). I did some upgrades to my truck this year and would really like to go race it just to see what it can do.

I have seriously contemplated pulling my truck but am too afraid of breaking something like the tranny.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where abouts in Iowa are you now? There are 3 in Iowa, and 1 more close. In Iowa, there is Eddyville (1/8th) Cedar Falls (1/4) and Humboldt. Not sure on Humboldt, as that is commonly a bike track. Cordova, Il (1/4) is just across the border from the Quad Cities.

Eddyville Raceway Park : Schedule
Cedar Falls Raceway
Cordova Dragway Park : Schedule

Old 06-27-2012, 02:58 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Stock car racing is the big thing out in these parts. Lots of small paved and dirt ovals. Nascar coutry. LOL

Old 06-27-2012, 09:14 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Originally Posted by fellro86
Where abouts in Iowa are you now? There are 3 in Iowa, and 1 more close. In Iowa, there is Eddyville (1/8th) Cedar Falls (1/4) and Humboldt. Not sure on Humboldt, as that is commonly a bike track. Cordova, Il (1/4) is just across the border from the Quad Cities.
I am in New Hampton, about 45 minutes north of Waterloo. Thanks for the links, I will have to check out the Cedar Falls track.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Originally Posted by TrdLtly
Stock car racing is the big thing out in these parts. Lots of small paved and dirt ovals. Nascar coutry. LOL
I do love me some dirt track racing...well pretty much all motorsports. My boss lets me pull his pulling tractor so that takes pretty much every weekend in July and August. I am hoping to build my own GREEN pulling tractor or I have been toying with the idea of building a diesel pull truck. Drag racing is fun though because you can take whatever you drive and go run it with relatively small risk of breaking things. Like I said I just want to see what my truck can do now that I stuck a little money into it.

Here is a pic of the pulling tractor

Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I figure on getting up there for the Night of Fire on the 21st. That typically is a good show. They have a decent turnouts for regular weekends as well. I think on the off weeks they only run the 1/8th, then extend to 1/4 for the bigger events.

Are you going to run the pulling tractor at Iowa City the 24th of July? I will be there, taking my brother in law and sister from Germany to it, he has never seen a tractor pull. They went to go to a pull at My Pleasant last year, turned out it was only a garden tractor pull... I had advised them of better pulls, but they didn't listen to me. Funny thing was that it was NTPA sanctioned...
Also will be another pull at Blairstown Labor Day weekend for Sauerkraut Days...

Dirt is the most prominent circle racing around here, I only know of 2 paved in the state. Of course, if you want some open wheel, there is the track at Knoxville...

Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
I might have to check out the night of fire.

The rules are way different down around the Iowa City area. They run an anything goes type pull at Nashua a couple times a year, I tried to pull there once against a bunch of guys from Iowa City and could not hang. Mostly I pull at a bunch of local antique pulls, Elma, Lourdes, Protivin, Fredericksburg, and Antique Acres.
There is a huge NTPA super national pull in New Hampton on July 13 & 14, they added a second track this year and will have 2 sleds going so it should be a good show.

Ahh Knoxville. I have been trying to get to that race for 2 years now. Maybe I will make it this year.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:09 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Just found these track directories:
IOWA RACE TRACKS
Iowa Race Track Directory of Asphalt and Dirt Tracks and Drag Strips - RacingIn.com

Not sure how up-to-date they are, but a good number of tracks.

Very few tractor pulls where I was raised. County fair once a year maybe. I did go to a couple of circle tracks and motorcycle dirt ovals. Roughly how expensive are the tractor pulls for spectators to go watch?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Typically the pulls are about $10 or so, not too bad at all.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Cool. I may be able to justify that once or twice. My girls would enjoy that. Have to get some extra ear protection out of my range bag. LOL. Thanks Roger.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
If you catch them at the county fairs, sometimes they get to be as low as $5. I like to watch the pro pullers with the cranked up diesels... Even some of the lesser class can be fun though too. First year they had one local here at the county fair, they had the stock farm class. Practically everyone from the area went, that was cool. My cousin and my dad both pulled with our 1466 that we had back then.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:40 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
The farm pulls around here are almost all free to watch, there are a few that charge $5 or $10 but not many. The pulls I pull in are the farm pulls with farm stock and sportsman (I pull in sportsman, cut tires and modified engines).

I want to catch a NTPA pull with the new street diesel class. There were very few of those last year but I think there will be more of that class popping up this year.

Thanks for the links Scott.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Yeah, would love to see the mom and pops out there pulling. That would be a kick.

Hey Gonzo, Don't forget to change your location.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
I did change my location it must not have took. I'll play with it again later.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:25 PM
ALAN_50501
Senior User
humboldt iowa has 1/8th mile

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drag strips in Iowa?