6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR cooler or HG? Need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
LunaticSVT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR cooler or HG? Need some insight

Ok truck is a 2005 Excursion. 6.0 obviously.

It has 89k on the clock. No real upgrades to engine other than Intake changed and running an out of box SCT tune from my Livewire . I do not have gauges installed...I know stupid right...

The problem I am having is as follows and I need some insight.

Driving it home the other day I kept hearing a whistling sound. Half way home when I would hit the throttle I would get a rushing sound that was not normal. It was coming from the passenger side...from what I could tell. The dummy gauge that is on the dash for engine temp was a little above the halfway mark.

When I got home (75 mile drive) I popped the hood and could see that the degas bottle had been puking. Not a little but a lot. After cooling down I opened the degas to see that it was empty. Not happy obviously. I had a bottle of distilled water and poured that in to see if I could get it back up. Full gallon and nothing the degas bottle. Added a 2/3 of a second gallon. It is now a the low level mark.

I ran the engine and got it up to temp. there was no whistling or roaring noises coming. Ran it for an hour in stop and go traffic. Got it home and the degas bottle had puked again...not much,but some.

I have not noticed any steam in my exhaust. I do have black smoke, but that has always been there since the sct tune was installed.

I had already purchased a BPD EGR and oil cooler kit. Was planning to install these as well as some new sticks, since the last time I was at the dealer they said there was a problem with 3 of them. I bit the bullet and just bought 8 to install.

My question is this. Do you think this is the EGR issue or a head gasket issue. Yes, I know I need to know my deltas, but do not have those. I am just hoping it is not the HGs and it is just the cooler which is giving me an issue.

I know a few will say use the search feature. i have. I get a lot of confusing info that seems to contradict everything else I am reading. Any insight would be helpful as I am not too familiar with diesels.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
It could be as simple as astuck thermostat to IDK throwing it out there

Time to pull EGR Valve and have a look into egr valve Bore for coolant

Even Just a Plugged OIL Cooler can cause a coolant flow issue and PUKE

Even a bad water pump/front cover could cause a flow issue and puke

as you can see Lots of possibilities if it was me Id pull EGR Valve Next

Being almost 2 gallons low on coolant the ECT sensor might NOT have had coolant Flowing around it so in turn may not of had any coolant to sense temp from and the ECT might have been wrong. In short the engine may have been ALOT HOTTER than you thought and Warped Heads. hOPE NOT though

Old 06-26-2012, 01:05 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Time to invest in a scangaugeII for 160.00$$ and could have caught a Problem early in the Game and avoid 1000.00s in repairs

I caught my Plugged oil cooler early and avoided Catastropic failure and saved Literaly thousands in repair costs

It has paid for itself Many Many times over

Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 PM
LunaticSVT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blade...

Just installed the BPD Oil Cooler Kit, New BPD EGR Cooler, new degas cap, EGR Valve (buddy ripped it in half when removing it), blue FP spring I steam cleaned the intake, cleaned the turbo, installed new ford gold coolant (will be putting in CAT EC-1 and the coolant filter over the weekend). Installed Rotella T6 5w-40 Synth. I have a SG2 on the way as no one local had one.

I have a few questions.

After installing everything, fluids etc and I figured I had air in the system as it did not want to take too much coolant after emptying out almost 4 gallons, I put in 3 gallons and the degas was at the degas injection molded full level and I was also on an incline. After running the EX for 25 minutes I was getting a weird sound from the degas. It was making a gurgling sound. I opened the degas cap and let it depressurize over night. The next morning the coolant level dropped in the degas and I added more coolant/water mix that I made the day prior. Put it in the middle of the full/low taped mark on the degas (not the injection molded levels). ran it again today up on the freeway for another 25 min trip and got back. Their was a little puking going on, but not much. Just a little coolant on the degas bottle, not all over the drivers side of the engine bay.

Is what is happening normal? Could it be air in the lines? I only ask because a neighbor who used to work at ford on powerstrokes stated that what is happening is my truck is indicating that it is having a turbo issue. I do have turbo farts only after a hard acceleration and immediately getting off the gas. I have a solus pro and was monitoring many variables today and all looked decent from what I read on here. I even hooked up a manual boost gauge and never got above 24 pounds on the turbo. Am I just paranoid?

I know a lot of crap typed up. Sorry for the long read. I just have to ask

Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Sounds like to much coolant

Keep coolant 1/2inch below the LOW Mark on the Coolant bottle

FORD updated the coolant leval awhile back the NEW Full is the Low mark check it on Leval Ground Cold

My truck will puke too if too much coolant but 1/2inch below the Low Mark not a Problem

Turbo Fart after HARD acceleration and let off skinney pedal Fast is Normal
A turbo Fart when going steady speed would be a turbo issue

Sounds like your turbo is FINE

we can check it out better when the SGII get theere but all sounds Good for now

Only other thing I would add is a OEM thermostat replacement

Old 07-05-2012, 04:42 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what the heck is a turbo fart? seriously?

Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 06' F-350 started puking coolant,,tried new caps,,,a stant cap, stopped the puking but let the pressure build up,,,and would make an air(pressure bubble) in the coolant system,,,messing up the Heater,,,No Heat,,then suddenly heat would come on,,,(Last winter),,Did see a way to pressure test system,,,Installed a T in the Degas bottle line, with a short pc of 3/8 hose back to Degas bottle,,,a 10 to 12' pc of 3/8 hose out under the Hood, to a pressure gauge I purchased, that went to 30 psi or so,,,ran hose into ca so I could watch the pressure as I drove the Truck,,,,Yikes,,Got up to 17 psi,,,Degas bottle caps vent at 12 to 16 psi I think,,,To much coolant pressure,,,In my case was a Bad head gasket with a stock 6.0 at 67 k miles,,,the Degas bottle Cap, would make the "Tea Kettle" sound when letting off the throttle after pulling a Hill,,,Had the 6.0 repaired by a Ford Diesel Tech that worked on them at Home also,,He did a great Job Too !!
Installed,
Stock Head Gaskets
ARP Head studs
EGR Delete
New stand pipe and Dummy plugs O-rings with Scarve washers
New Oil Cooler(even though my cooler was OK Oil temps wher Good Have Edge Insight Gauge setup)
Cleaned Turbo
New HPOP Fitting
Flushed Coolant
New Degas Bottle
Reflashed etc,,My EGR Cooler was fine,,But Deleted it,,still have it in a Box,,,Not wet at all Inside,,,Hopefully your Ex is a simple Fix,,,Just stating that the 6.0 Engine has its Issues,,,and My Tech said these things that He did to my truck will make it a much more reliable setup,,,should have Been done this way from the Factory !!!