Sponsored by:

New Excursion owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Central Texcursion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Excursion owner

I'm slightly second guessing an Excursion purchase so I wanted to come here for Excursion fans to encourage me.

I just bought a 2005 Excursion Limited, 6.0L, 4WD, with 180K miles. The high mileage definitely is something I am second guessing since I've never bought a vehicle with over 100K miles on it.

It's in decent shape - I got the Oasis report beforehand and knew they had done EGR update prior to 100K, as well as new suspension at steering components right before 100K. FICM was recently replaced. Didn't see any blow by or a sooty firewall. Some cosmetic blemishes but not terrible, and I got it for what I think is a real cheap price. I got it because I have 3 kids and a dog my wife and I haul around, and we have a travel trailer that, when all loaded up, is right at the edge or just over my current half ton truck's GCWR. Needed more truck.

Anyway, I'll probably sink into a bunch of upgrades which I did with the last truck I bought. I'll be coming here for ideas, looks like this is an active site.

I'll go ahead an apologize for upcoming stupid or redundant questions I'll be asking.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:02 PM
wickedbusa
Freshman User
I got my "new to me" Excursion about a month and a half ago. I second guessed my purchase since I had to drop some cash in repairs two weeks after I got it. But, the repairs are done (BPD EGR cooler, oil cooler, coolant flush, coolant filter), I've been getting some seat time in it, and I'm really enjoying the truck now. I traded an 02 Suburban for my X and at first, thought that the ride on the X was awful, not as many creature comforts, etc, but I've gotten used to it and I love the truck now. Just know that somewhere along the line, you will need to make some repairs. Until something breaks, drive it and enjoy it, it's like nothing else on the road!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Central Texcursion
Junior User
The first thing I need is a new rear bumper, I'd like to do it cheaply. Any recommendations? It's a 2005 all black excursion, it has the painted black bumpers but I am ok with something that isn't oem. I would like to stick with black, not chrome. I saw something around $300 on eBay. I assume it's not too hard to unbolt/bolt myself - except perhaps the sensors.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Welcome to fte! The sensors un plug from the harness & i think 4 bolts to get it off the sub frame. You might want to buy new plastic bumper covers from tousley parts. Have a helper when you install the scratchless new one I did mine last year & added 10 watt Led back up lights

Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 AM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard! Post up some pics when you can!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
The back bumper is pretty easy to install/uninstall. Really, you oughta consider a strong after market bumper - will outlast your Ex. (or go super cheap with oak...)

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - wpnaes's Album: Bumpers Install

Welcome, ya done good!

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Excursion. The weak link is the EGR cooler and it looks like yours has already been replaced by BPD system. The next consideration is head bolts--expensive to go to ARPs, but would make the truck much more reliable. It is possible that this was already done. You can tell by looking at one of the head bolts. Is it a bolt or is a nut there on a stud?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Central Texcursion
Junior User
I will take a look at that, thanks for the suggestion. I sincerely doubt it has been done.

I am close to a guy that is a good 6.0/diesel mechanic, I had seen him recommended in these Ford forums and before I decided to buy I spoke to him. His name is Jeremy at Empire Diesel in Leander, TX - real close to me. I am going to run the X over to him for him to inspect and suggest improvements. I want two quotes - the 'make it run 100K more miles reliably' quote and then the 'run reliably for 100K plus make it perform like a drag car' quote. I got the X cheap and I'm willing to put more in it to make it perfect.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Central Texcursion
Junior User
I'll be towing a 32' travel trailer that is probably around 8200lbs fully loaded, so I am looking into RAS. I am not sure if I need to upgrade the rear sway bar to Hellwig if I have factory. I'm also considering new shocks all around - is it worth it? I've had good experiences with Bilsteins on other vehicles.

Need at least two tires, and since I hate mismatches I may do all 4 - what's the biggest I can put on the stock 16's? Discount Tire and Tire Rack websites not too helpful. is 285/70 something typical?

With the cosmetic fixes (bumper, one towing mirror), suspension updates, tires, perhaps a dealership servicing, and complete 6.0L Strengthening and Performance tuning by Empire Diesel I could put almost $10K into it in a month.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easy on the tire size. Stock diameter is 32.1". If you go bigger, you will change effective gear ratio. The 6.0L ideal RPM is 2000, with max fuel economy occuring there. Hard to keep engine happy at 2000 RPM when you speed up with big aero drag from trailer. It will constantly be downshifting, even on flat terrain with no headwind. Mine is about 68 - 70 mph at 2000 RPM.

I love the 20" wheels from 2011 SuperDuties, but am reluctant to mess up a great towing vehicle.

Regarding spending money...you may put your best dollar on a ScanGauge II--about $150. This simple gauge will tell you if you have any issues with oil temp vs. coolant temp. If you don't, maybe you could put off the ARP studs for a bit. YOu could also invest in a EGT gauge, but it is a bit more difficult to buy/install.

Last edited by Forest; 06-26-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Adding comments
Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Gene Horr
Senior User
Before putting new shocks I would get the suspension upgraded/fixed including the rubber wear items and the steering linkages. I have about 170k miles on mine with the original shocks and it still rides very well. I added an additional leaf in the front and added the RAS in the rear. The rear still sags a little more than I like but it is far better than before the RAS and once the RAS was properly adjusted body roll is minimal.

For on road use the sock design works well with the exception of the weak springs. You'll likely be pleased with the ride without further additions.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Central Texcursion
I am not sure if I need to upgrade the rear sway bar to Hellwig if I have factory.

Allot of people that have the factory sway bar still upgrade but they get the 30mm bar from an F350 setup. The original Excursion sway bars are 24mm and those that replace with the 30mm say they notice a difference.

Unlike you, I did not have a sway bar so the easiest route was to pick up the Hellwig sway bar. It comes with all the needed parts. Trying to get all the OEM parts from donor truck was difficult and buying all the needed OEM parts new from the dealer was pretty much close to the Hellwig price.

Tousley Ford will have the rear f350 sway bar for a pretty good price something around $100 maybe less. Hellwig is about $200

Tim M

Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 AM
grishw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Central Texcursion
I will take a look at that, thanks for the suggestion. I sincerely doubt it has been done.

I am close to a guy that is a good 6.0/diesel mechanic, I had seen him recommended in these Ford forums and before I decided to buy I spoke to him. His name is Jeremy at Empire Diesel in Leander, TX - real close to me. I am going to run the X over to him for him to inspect and suggest improvements. I want two quotes - the 'make it run 100K more miles reliably' quote and then the 'run reliably for 100K plus make it perform like a drag car' quote. I got the X cheap and I'm willing to put more in it to make it perfect.
Jeremy just finished my Excursion. You are lucky to have him as a friend. There is no better mechanic around. I decided to get it all done now because its going to be my only mode of transport. Good luck and I'm sure I'll see you at Empire at some point.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Central Texcursion
Junior User
grishw1 - Well, when I say close I only mean as the crow flies - I don't know him, just heard good things about his work. I did talk to him on the phone and he seems like a nice guy, but his shop is close enough I can drop the truck off and ride my bike home. When I talked on the phone he said he just did "the whole deal" on an Excursion - I bet it was yours. If it was you, he said how much that service cost.

All - as far as the bumper, I found this 00-05 FORD EXCURSION REAR BUMPER BLK HITCH BRACKET PADS LICENSE LAMP W/HOLE ASSY | eBay

Is that a good enough rear bumper? I am not looking to go fancy but don't want it to rust in a year.

The X was cheap enough I bought it long distance nearly sight unseen. Since I got it yesterday my list is:
- rear bumper
- new tires
- two dents - paintless dent repair can get it
- oil leak - this is the worst discovery, its pretty bad. can't tell yet where it is from.
- needs a detail, its dirty inside and has scuffs and scrapes. For $250 I know a guy that can fix all that.
- driver's armrest
- pocket is torn at top couple inches on back of passenger seat. Maybe just glue?
- new rear cupholder needed in the console, already ordered
- trip computer is not working - the buttons are lit but nothing on the display

Only the oil really concerns me, need to figure out where that is coming from.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Central Texcursion
Junior User
Oh, the driving lights don't come one either. I'll probably find more.

Quick Reply: New Excursion owner