Computer Chips & Tuners  

Banks IQ and Ford Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 AM
jtaylor1920
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks IQ and Ford Warranty

I'd like to have more insight into some of the things going on with my truck, especially when pulling our 5th wheel, and it looks like the Banks IQ does what I want. I'm not interested in any of the other add-ons the unit supports, tuning/programming/braking, just the electronic gauges and possibly the nav. Because my truck still has a number of years left on the warranty does anyone think I'd be in jeopardy of having any warranty repairs denied because of the Banks unit?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with this new diesel owner.

John

Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920
I'd like to have more insight into some of the things going on with my truck, especially when pulling our 5th wheel, and it looks like the Banks IQ does what I want. I'm not interested in any of the other add-ons the unit supports, tuning/programming/braking, just the electronic gauges and possibly the nav. Because my truck still has a number of years left on the warranty does anyone think I'd be in jeopardy of having any warranty repairs denied because of the Banks unit?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with this new diesel owner.

John
In one word...yes.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
could possibly but on the other hand I have the banks 6 gun and the IQ. I have had no problem

I had a high press turbo replaced while I had the unit still on the truck. They did all the work and hooked it back up for me. The dealer understood that banks puts out a quality product and I made no attempt to hide the unit either.

Once they told me what needed to be done for the turbo I did ask to go take the IQ out of the truck since that is kinda a pricey item. Gave me an opportunity to show the mech and and where everything was.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
could possibly but on the other hand I have the banks 6 gun and the IQ. I have had no problem

I had a high press turbo replaced while I had the unit still on the truck. They did all the work and hooked it back up for me. The dealer understood that banks puts out a quality product and I made no attempt to hide the unit either.

Once they told me what needed to be done for the turbo I did ask to go take the IQ out of the truck since that is kinda a pricey item. Gave me an opportunity to show the mech and and where everything was.
While I agree with your approach, Ford has published docs (end of last year IIRR) proclaiming zero tolerance on warranty work for any power enhancement consumer installed product.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
You are correct. Since 2008 when I bought my truck. My dealer is a little more understanding I suppose. Especially since I told them in advance.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:54 PM
jtaylor1920
New User
I went to my local dealer yesterday and spoke with the warranty manager and their lead diesel mechanic. Each of them thought that going with the IQ only to monitor the engine "shouldn't" cause me any issues when it comes to warranty repairs. I'd have felt better if they would have given me a "won't" cause issues. I'm going to keep pondering the purchse for now because the truck is a certified per-owned and has a bumper to bumper warranty for another 4 plus years that I don't want to put at risk. As a computer guy I find it a bit frustrating to have all that data being gathered without a way for the owner to get a good look at it without risking a warranty issue because I have a device from Banks installed in my truck. Each of them commented that the truck will give me warnings if there is an issue, but I don't consider the idiot gauges they put in the truck as an efficient way to be proactive about something before it becomes a problem.

Thanks for everyone's input.

John

Old 06-26-2012, 04:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I went to my local dealer yesterday and spoke with the warranty manager and their lead diesel mechanic. Each of them thought that going with the IQ only to monitor the engine "shouldn't" cause me any issues when it comes to warranty repairs. I'd have felt better if they would have given me a "won't" cause issues. I'm going to keep pondering the purchse for now because the truck is a certified per-owned and has a bumper to bumper warranty for another 4 plus years that I don't want to put at risk. As a computer guy I find it a bit frustrating to have all that data being gathered without a way for the owner to get a good look at it without risking a warranty issue because I have a device from Banks installed in my truck. Each of them commented that the truck will give me warnings if there is an issue, but I don't consider the idiot gauges they put in the truck as an efficient way to be proactive about something before it becomes a problem.

Thanks for everyone's input.

John
I am with you on this. Remember the IQ plugs into the OBD port just like they do.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:09 PM
wexfordhunter
New User
The term being "POWER ENHANCEMENT", if you just use the IQ w/o the sixgun or ottomind box there is no power enhancement just monitoring. No different than installing real mechanical guages to monitor trans/boost/oil/water etc.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:11 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went to my local dealer yesterday and spoke with the warranty manager and their lead diesel mechanic. Each of them thought that going with the IQ only to monitor the engine "shouldn't" cause me any issues when it comes to warranty repairs.
If it's just monitoring it shouldn't unless there was a glitch or something that caused some type of spike.

My dealership is pretty understanding on these type of things, however, bare in mind at the end of the day it's Ford that has to OK rather or not the dealership will get reimbursed for the warranty work. Now if you have something from your dealership in writing and Ford denies the work, then it would be up to your dealership to make you whole and the dealership would have to eat the cost.

It's a tricky situation, compounded even more so with the fact that people would remove the tuning portion of the devices and leave the gauges behind. So even though you might only use the system for monitoring only, your dealership could think that you had something based on the fact that you have a/m gauges. The majority of people that tune their vehicles have a/m gauges, only in the last few yrs has the trend been to get gauges regardless of tuning or not. I'm not saying I agree with the dealerships logic, I'm just giving out a possibility of what they could be thinking.

Myself I would make sure I had something in writing to make sure, but that's just me, because I can promise you that the local dealership knows the arbiters in the area and when this thing goes to ADR (which most do), don't be surprised your left holding the bag.