Nevada June BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 AM
67 Olfthfl
Nevada Chapter LDR

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nevada June BS Thread

Goodmorning Nevada,

June 1st already! Boy, this year is really flying by.
Have a great day everyone!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Good morning Nevada, happy June 1st! One of my two favorite months!( July being the other)

Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 AM
oldmongo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation June is here!!!

June is here, let's try thin month thing again !!! Here in Southern Nevada we start off June with 100's+ "Excessive heat advisory" (but it's a dry heat) for a few days, pool time !!!
Have a great month out there FTE'rs and be safe... stay cool

Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Afternoon Nevada!

WOW...it's June already...who sped up the year!

Stay cool there mongo...BTW...you can KEEP that dry heat stuff...my oven is a dry heat and I don't stick my head in there...LOL...

Have a great one!

Joe.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:43 PM
oldmongo
Elder User
BTW Joe, I wouldn't use the oven either... my chase lounge and the pool won't fit ... not to mention the 12 pack cooler I spent last summer in the Chicago area at my brothers place ... LOVED THE LIGHTNING & lightning bugs ... HATED THE HUMIDITY and the TORNADO SIRENS !!! ... otherwise it was great !!!! Dave
(BTW... low humidity makes it so I don't sweat much for a fat guy)

Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
R1_Demon
Elder User
Jeff - Keep that stuff to yourself, but I do hope you feel better soon!

Question for all of you DIY guys/gals out there...

On the water heaters out here in NV, I have seen an "extra line" coming off of the side of it and it goes to a timer box and then it enters back into the house or into the ground or stand that the water heater sits on. What the hell is this thing for?! I've never, in all my years, have had something like this before. It's not off of the pressure relief valve, but off of the relief valve at the bottom of the water heater. I don't know where this line goes or what it's for. It's maybe a half inch line or so. It's not very big and it is not one of the main supply lines. It definitely comes OUT of the water heater and goes somewhere. Where and why I don't know.

Reason I ask is because it seems like our water isn't very hot here in this new rental house and I'm wondering if this "extra line" is bleeding off the hot water somewhere. I don't want to shut this line down (there is a shutoff valve) if it goes to something important. It also has a timer on it. Why, again, I don't know. The dial on the water heater is set to "B". That should be hot enough, I would think. I don't think I should have to turn it all the way to A (hottest setting on the tank) to get hot water from this tank. I verified that the pilot is lit and working. When we first moved in, the setting was on the triangle (lower than A, B or C setting) and when I turned it up to B, it fired up the burner (and I physically saw the pilot was lit), so I know it's good to go. The water heater was replaced in 2011, according to the sticker on it. So, I'm at a loss.

Besides not getting very hot water at the tap, our dishwasher doesn't even dissolve the dishwasher cleaning packs (you know, those "all in one" things) and our dishes stay dirty. That's why I think the water isn't hot enough. No "steam" comes off the hot water, even if you put it on full hot and leave it run for a few min.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
oldmongo
Elder User
??? !!!

Mat ... that could be a recirculating line ... it would have a small pump that would run hot water thru the system and back to the heater and a timer could be set for your "awake" hours of operation. It saves water by having HOT water going by each faucet in the house ... like instant hot water !!! Better/custom homes have them installed on request when it is built. Check that timer and see if you can make it run... the pump could be anyplace. Turn the t-stat to "normal" and flip the switch... give it a few min.'s and see if you have HOT water on the furthest faucet from the water heater !!! Dave

Old 06-01-2012, 04:20 PM
R1_Demon
Elder User
Dave - Thanks. I just looked up some info on the internet and it appears that's what the system is. A recirculating system.

However, I still don't quite understand how I can set it to "B" on the thermostat and still have fairly cold water when the hot water is turned on. To me, it should be pretty darn hot when set to B (and I put it on that setting the other day, so it wasn't like I just did it 10 min ago).

So, I'm not quite sure what to do now. I don't know if I should turn the thermostat closer to A now (the hottest setting) or maybe try and figure out something else being the cause.

I wonder if the pump for the recirc system is bad if it could possibly mix the cold and warm water together and cause the "hot" water to become luke warm instead of just keeping it "hot" like it should be?

I think in our previous house we moved from, we had the thermostat set to C (a lower setting) and we had actual steam come from the water out of the faucet when you would run the hot water for a min and that also had the same type of recirc system on it. So, something is amiss somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for the info! When I'm more "mobile", I'll have to check it out and look into it. Supposedly there is supposed to be a "return" valve hooked up to the faucet furthest away from the water heater for the return of the cold water, but I didn't see one where I think it should be, but I'll have to check under each sink when I get a moment.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 PM
oldmongo
Elder User
Mat... the line you see could be the return line ... putting the "warm" water to the bottom to be reheated... remember the heater draws from the top when there is no recirc pump there ... did you see a pump anyplace...( they are usually 4" square or smaller) under .... any sink ... there should be an electric line from the switch to the pump ... Good luck on that ... be easy on that back !!!
Crank it up... you can always back it off later !!!

Old 06-01-2012, 05:54 PM
R1_Demon
Elder User
Not sure. I haven't really looked at this one. I know the pump was right next to the timer at the last house. I don't want to get this house and the last one confused. LOL I haven't had the energy to go out and look at this one yet. When I feel a bit better, then I'm going to go out and really look at it. I do know that when I have been out in the garage and it was quiet, you could hear the timer clicking away though. Plus, I did see the timer hooked up on the bottom part of the tank to a line going into or from the water tank. It does have a shut-off valve to it as well. However, I haven't really looked at it to see if the pump is there or not. I know there was a plug going to it, but that may have been for the timer only and not for a pump. Don't know yet.

I can always kick it up a bit and back it down later, as you mentioned. I'll have to see what goes when I can move around a bit better. I'm hoping that's later this week. I have to go back to Urgent Care tomorrow morning and then my doctor on Tuesday morning.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 PM
oldmongo
Elder User
TA DA TA DA ... off to the pool

Old 06-02-2012, 05:26 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Morning Nevada!

Happy Saturday everyone!!!

Well today is my birthday...so I think I will have a special day!

I wish I had enough beer to go around for everyone...but I'll share one in spirit later today for you folks!

Enjoy my day!!!

Joe.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:10 AM
67gt351
Post Fiend

Good Saturday morning Nevada!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:48 AM
67 Olfthfl
Nevada Chapter LDR

Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
Morning Nevada!

Happy Saturday everyone!!!

Well today is my birthday...so I think I will have a special day!

I wish I had enough beer to go around for everyone...but I'll share one in spirit later today for you folks!

Enjoy my day!!!

Joe.
Happy Birthday Joe!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 AM
67 Olfthfl
Nevada Chapter LDR

Originally Posted by oldmongo
TA DA TA DA ... off to the pool

I'm jealous!

Quick Reply: Nevada June BS Thread