1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550
Old 11-11-2014, 07:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Opinions on rear air bag suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 PM
SilverE350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was an extensive thread here about a year ago, the guy lifted a 2009 with spacers up front and Air Lift 5000 bags in the rear. I think he ran 10psi inthe bags when empty, he never mentioned any negative effects. Maybe he just lived with it or thought it really wasn't much worse than stock. IMO an empty 12 passenger rides likel my old 1978 Freightliner with- Rubber Block Suspension. (I'm told that tanks actually ride quite nicely due to torsion bar suspensions)

Old 07-01-2012, 04:16 PM
carrfamilynj
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My normal "empty" load is about 1500 pounds of tools and hardware so that combined with the extended length required more air I guess. Problem is, I couldn't find a happy medium. It was either bottoming out or spine-numbing harsh. The timbrens setup seemed to work well until they fell off, lol. I should have the new ones by the end of the week so I will reserve judgment until I road test them thoroughly .

Old 07-01-2012, 08:21 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 95e150CW
Heh, I meant to type Spring Capacity. GAWR and GVWR are a function of a whole lot of other things besides sitting level.

I figured as much. I was not trying to correct you, just add to the information you supplied. You started a good side bar discussion!

Some people on FTE really do believe that if they install 3/4 ton springs in there half tons, it turns them into 3/4 tons!

David

Old 10-14-2012, 03:16 PM
carrfamilynj
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I finally got around to installing the rubber springs(FER35092LB) that Timbren sent as a free replacement for the original set that fell off the van. I measured between the mounting plates at normal, everyday load height. There is 3 1/4" clearance. Problem is, the springs measure 5" tall so it would be constantly loaded causing the same harsh ride I was having before. I took my sawzall and cut the spring in half giving me 2 1/2" of rubber. That leaves 3/4" of space so there will be no interference when I'm driving with my normal weight. When I hook a trailer or load down with material or a rack full of siding equipment, the van will squat down and the rubber springs will go to work. This is all theoretical as I have yet to drive the van with the modified springs installed. I'll post back with the results.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 AM
RAS_ActiveSuspension
Former Vendor
Roadmaster Active Suspension

Hey guys, just came across this thread(a little late to the party). I noticed the first post was way back in June, I was hoping somebody on here would recommend the RAS to fix the issue, but better late then never I guess.

The RAS is a variably rated tension coil spring that attaches to the rear leaf spring, when the tension is pre-set on the spring it works as a muscle to hold the spring in it's optimum bowed position. Naturally load leveling will be greatly improved, but the difference is RAS still allows the spring to bend/flex and aborb and sort of bumps in the road when loaded and unload, handling an performance is greatly improved.

For you reference, the Salvation Army requires the RAS on every 12 and 15 passenger van in the United States and the majority of the church insurance companies recommend the RAS to policy holders. Check out our website www.activesuspension.com.

Hope this helps, lmk if you have any questions!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 AM
BriWas
Junior User
Originally Posted by RAS_ActiveSuspension
The RAS is a variably rated tension coil spring that attaches to the rear leaf spring, when the tension is pre-set on the spring it works as a muscle to hold the spring in it's optimum bowed position. Naturally load leveling will be greatly improved, but the difference is RAS still allows the spring to bend/flex and aborb and sort of bumps in the road when loaded and unload, handling an performance is greatly improved.
Will the RAS setup help a van (98 E250 Ext in my case) that has "saggy rear syndrome"? Or is it really only beneficial when the springs are in optimum condition?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 AM
RAS_ActiveSuspension
Former Vendor
Great question, that is actually an ideal application. When the kit is installed initially, tension is set on the spring according to the application(vehicle size, spring condition, load carrying application etc).

In an application such as yours where the van is 15 years old and the springs are worn, set the tension accordingly and the RAS will hold those springs in their arched position 100% of the time. Essentially, the leaf springs will be strengthened and the tension can be set to where you are sitting level all the time. The benefits over your current condition would be substantial.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 AM
BriWas
Junior User
Thanks. One other question. If a RAS is installed, is it counterproductive to have a rear anti-sway bar (such as a Helwig) installed as well? Do they work against each other?

Also, what is a ballpark price for a RAS setup on a Ford van? I think that's info that anyone on this forum would want to know. I'm sure it varies, but what is a general cost range?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:15 PM
RAS_ActiveSuspension
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BriWas
Thanks. One other question. If a RAS is installed, is it counterproductive to have a rear anti-sway bar (such as a Helwig) installed as well? Do they work against each other?

Also, what is a ballpark price for a RAS setup on a Ford van? I think that's info that anyone on this forum would want to know. I'm sure it varies, but what is a general cost range?
Technically the RAS and any sort of sway bar can both be installed at the same time. They won't necessarily be counterproductive, but, it is not necessary to install a sway bar when a RAS is installed as the RAS will reduce sway and body roll as well. If you haven't already, may want to check this video out....

http://www.activesuspension.com/vide...er-van-safety/

Cost for a Roadmaster Kit can vary between $369-$420 depending on make model/freight charges etc. I am working on getting some group rate pricing together for members of the forum in the near future....should be darn good discount!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:17 PM
crowesnest3
New User
RAS

thinking this is just what my 79 E250 with a saggy bottom could use, sounds much better than air bags. Was last mentioned that a Forum discount was being explored, did that ever become reality? Gotta save a nickel when one can!!