1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Is it the brakes, the ball joints, the steering linkage, or all of the above?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM
80FlareSide
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it the brakes, the ball joints, the steering linkage, or all of the above?

I was driving home from work today, heading down a gentle hill at about 35 mph. I tapped the brakes and the entire front end started to violently shake and shudder like I have never seen before. Carefully slowed to a stop, and the shudder subsided, and I drove home with no more problems.

This is the 2nd time in a month that this has happened, and the first time it was so bad I thought I had a blow-out. The truck is now all but garaged until I get this rectified.

Being 33 years old, and god knows how many miles, Im sure something needs to replaced at this point. The question is, brakes, ball joints, steering linkage, one or more of them, or something else entirely?

Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,660 Likes on 1,342 Posts
You have to get under there and look it over. If you do not feel confident enough to do it, take it to a good alignment shop and let them look it over for you. You can then take it home and do the work yourself.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 PM
batchman
Mountain Pass
I believe you have just encountered what is known as the "death wobble". I can't recall what it was the last time I ran into it but I think all of the things you listed can contribute. In my case it may have been radius arm bushings (full size Bronco).

Best of luck,
- Jeff

Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Loose wheel bearings can also cause this. all of the listed things can cause it, alone or in combination of more than just any single item.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:05 PM
big vann
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do what Franklin said.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM
80FlareSide
Senior User
So I just got the truck off the stands, and its not so good. There is a surprising amount of movement in both wheels side to side without effecting the other, or the pitman arm. I can also lift each one just a bit with a 6 ft crowbar.

Conclusion I have come to is that it should all be replaced. They appear to be all original parts, so 32 1/2 years isnt too bad, but Im afraid of replacing one part, only to have something else fail a short time later.

I had some money saved to replace the skid strips and bolts in the bed with stainless, and Line-X the metal and rails on the bed, but I suppose safety takes precedence over pretty.

I just ordered all new steering linkage,Dana Spicer Ball Joints, Dana Spicer front axle u-joints, alignment bushings, wheel bearings, traction beam bushings, radius arm bushings, Borgeson steering shaft and steering box rebuild kit from Bronco Graveyard for $750.

Looks like the work on the bed will have to wait till next year.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a big bite, alright, but it's for a good cause. These trucks are priceless, eh?

Old 06-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
80FS, I had to + rep you for that great quote in your sig.
It reminds of a few other sayings, like "if it can't kill ya, it ain't a sport" & "Baseball, football, basketball, and most other games, only requires 1 ball".....

Sounds like you have quite a bit of parts, with varying degrees of slack. Added together, and death wobble here we come......

Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Yep. Unfortunate case of many things failing a little, not one failing a lot. But like you said, I'd rather be spray painting my bed than laid up in traction.

How bad is your rust? Depending on what you're looking for there's some cheaper DIY options that can provide some level of protection.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 PM
80FlareSide
Senior User
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
That's a big bite, alright, but it's for a good cause. These trucks are priceless, eh?
My father bought an 81 F100 (2wd, styleside, I6 3spd manual, radio delete, bumper delete) new when I was a kid. I grew up in that truck and distinctly remember riding in it 4 across with him and my 2 brothers. I then learned to drive in it, and even back up their bitch of a driveway with the cap on it using nothing but the side-view mirrors. Sadly 6 months after getting my license I put that truck through a telephone pole and into a tree driving home after a light snow.

I was looking for a truck to do depot/dump runs and camping when I saw this one on eBay. Same 80/81 front end, blue exterior, and god-awful blue interior, but it was twice my budget. After spending 5 straight days looking at the posting half hoping it would be sold to take away the temptation, my wife told me to "just buy the stupid thing before someone else does and you regret it for the next 50 years." While I don't need to be told twice, I did correct her on the "stupid" part. Two things I will never sell in my life are that truck, and the ruger 10/22 my father gave me when I was 12.

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
80FS, I had to + rep you for that great quote in your sig.
It reminds of a few other sayings, like "if it can't kill ya, it ain't a sport" & "Baseball, football, basketball, and most other games, only requires 1 ball".....

Sounds like you have quite a bit of parts, with varying degrees of slack. Added together, and death wobble here we come......
Thanks about the quote, always thought that it was pretty inspiring and even prophetic given how long ago Hemmingway said it, and how pro athletes now complain about their poor pay for playing a game with little real risk, and such high reward. As for the death wobble, best said by Austin Powers, "I too like to live dangerously."

Originally Posted by Dave804
Yep. Unfortunate case of many things failing a little, not one failing a lot. But like you said, I'd rather be spray painting my bed than laid up in traction.

How bad is your rust? Depending on what you're looking for there's some cheaper DIY options that can provide some level of protection.
My thoughts exactly. The rust isnt that bad, only one hole in one strip, the rest have superficial surface rust in various places. Probably just JB Weld a peice of thin sheetmetal over it the hole, wire brush the rest and give it the krylon touch.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:46 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by 80FlareSide
My father bought an 81 F100 (2wd, styleside, I6 3spd manual, radio delete, bumper delete) new when I was a kid. I grew up in that truck and distinctly remember riding in it 4 across with him and my 2 brothers. I then learned to drive in it, and even back up that bitch of a driveway with the cap on it using nothing but the sideview mirrors. Sadly 6 months after getting my license I put that truck through a telephone pole and into a tree driving home after a light snow.

I was looking for a truck to do depot/dump runs and camping when i saw this one. Same 80/81 front end, blue exterior, and god-awful blue interior, but it was twice my budget. After spending 5 straight days looking at the posting half hoping it would be sold to take away the temptation, my wife told me to "just buy the stupid thing before someone else does and you regret it for the next 50 years." I dont need to be told twice. Two things I will never sell in my life are that truck, and the ruger 10/22 my father gave me when I was 12.
Sounds like your wife is a keeper, too.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,660 Likes on 1,342 Posts
Doing it all at once is the best way if you have the money. Once you get down in there to replace the front axle u-joints, you will tell yourself you do not want to do this again. You also should go to Harbor Freight and get their cheap balljoint press to get the balljoints out. Also buy a cheap pickle fork there too.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Doing it all at once is the best way if you have the money. Once you get down in there to replace the front axle u-joints, you will tell yourself you do not want to do this again. You also should go to Harbor Freight and get their cheap balljoint press to get the balljoints out. Also buy a cheap pickle fork there too.
Thats for sure! Go in once, and hope to not do it again for another 25-30 years. It takes that long to forget how time consuming it can be....
The ball joint press and pickle fork are handy to own, but can also be rented thru most parts houses. I'd rather rent a tool that I hope to NOT need again for 25-30 years......

Old 06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
smashclash
Elder User
He said he got alignment bushings. I thought there were different size bushings depending how out of spec a wheel is?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by smashclash
He said he got alignment bushings. I thought there were different size bushings depending how out of spec a wheel is?
There are two types. The ones like you are thinking of are a specific degree. There is also an adjustable design. These use an inner/outer sleeve, and can allow for any amount of adjustment within their design limits, like -2.5 to +2.5. Pricier, but worth the extra funds.

Quick Reply: Is it the brakes, the ball joints, the steering linkage, or all of the above?