Notices

Winch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 07:25 PM
walnutcreek
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winch wiring

I have dual batteries in my F250 4x4 and I am wondering which battery to wire my Warn winch to. Should it be connected to the primary? Please respond soon, as I we are having heavy rains tonight with possible flooding and I am a firefighter that patrols for stranded motorists during flood alerts in my own vehicle....yep, I get paid for mileage too.
Thanks in advance

Old 05-07-2003, 09:07 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Winch wiring

It depends on how you have the batteries wired. If it's like a diesel (straight parallel), it really doesn't matter which one you wire the winch to. If you have an aftermarket isolator, you should stay with the battery that's most directly connected to the alternator, or however the isolator mfr. recommends. If you're using a relay to isolate them, you might want to put it on the aux battery, but the main is still OK.

Old 05-08-2003, 06:19 AM
walnutcreek
Junior User
Cool Winch wiring

I hadn't studied under the hood enough and yep, the batteries are wired just like you said for a diesel. Thanks a bunch.

Old 05-08-2003, 10:27 AM
theologian
Postmaster
Winch wiring

Mine is wired to the left hand battery.

Old 05-08-2003, 08:56 PM
walnutcreek
Junior User
Cool Winch wiring

Thanks for your help gang, I do appreciate your willingness to help a fellow Ford owner....this is our second after driving Chevy's for years...as well as a few exotic cars. Having a horse farm requires the use of a truck and the winch from time to time, as well as my work as a volunteer firefighter. Thanks again!