1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

About to throw in the towel

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My buddy came over today to remove air from the coolant passages. He convinced me to move the truck under its own power. I was a bit hesitant, but was happy to try.

My buddy was really happy at the end, as he can be heard.

1952 Ford Panel first run - YouTube

and

1952 Ford Panel truck parking - YouTube

Still need to get some loose ends tied up, like replace the muffler and exhaust pipe, dial in the dual carbs, check out why the temp gauge reads hot but engine is not overheating, but overall, I'm happy with the outcome and can't wait to start driving more before the rainy season arrives. Also need to check out the electricals, like the brake lights, park lights and turn signals all around. After that's done, next on the agenda list is rebuilding the front suspension.

Updated photo of the engine.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Those videos are really cool! Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
try bleeding the temp sensor. You didn't use thread sealing tape on the sender did you?
Unisync gauge is the only way to sync multicarbs!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have one of those Uni-Sync tools somewhere around here!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AXracer
try bleeding the temp sensor. You didn't use thread sealing tape on the sender did you?
Unisync gauge is the only way to sync multicarbs!
I don't believe that I used thread sealing tape on the sender, but I'll check later today.

I don't know how to blead at the temp sensor. Could you please provide instructions? Also, what is the procedure for syncing the carbs with the uni-sync tool? I found the tool on Speedway and will buy it to have.

Thanks for the help and instructions.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by old_dan
I have one of those Uni-Sync tools somewhere around here!
Dan,

If you find it and know how to use it, I'd be forever grateful. Let me know.

I still plan to buy one from Speedway to have in case I need to use it in the future.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

I'll dig it up when I get home... I'm leaving today for a trip to Colorado.... Back Tuesday so give me a call to remind me!

I have two of them as a holdover from my Porsche ownership days.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I'm happy with the outcome and can't wait to start driving more before the rainy season arrives.

Rain in CA? You just ruined my image of California!

Congrats on the inaugural cruise!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:33 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice! Looks like you got up to about 45 or 50 so you must have good brakes.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:17 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Not sure how fast I was going. I was too focused on driving and listening to the motor. The truck does have more power now than before. It's "peppy", as my buddy states in the video.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Great looking truck in a pretty cool video, awesome, looks like a lot of fun.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I don't believe that I used thread sealing tape on the sender, but I'll check later today.

I don't know how to blead at the temp sensor. Could you please provide instructions? Also, what is the procedure for syncing the carbs with the uni-sync tool? I found the tool on Speedway and will buy it to have.

Thanks for the help and instructions.
With the engine running and the thermostat open (radiator cap off), unscrew the sender until water seeps out. They aren't supposed to get airlocked, but it sometimes happens. Does the gauge climb or just goes to the reading immediately and stays there? Is it a new sender? Sure it's the right one for the gauge?
Instructions should come with the Uni-sync, It's been a while since I used one, but as I recall, they aren't difficult to use.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:42 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I had the over heating indication with my panel when I first got it started a few years back. Did everything I could think, flushed the system, ran vinegar through it for a week or so and got a lot of gunk out of it and still the gage would peg "HOT" after running only a few minutes. Really scary to see that happen on flattie. I went down and bought a set of after market mechanical gages, one for each side, and installed them. They never indicated any temps over 180°. Still have them mounted under the dash.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:11 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

I think I can remember enough to get through a carb sync exercise!!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:42 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AXracer
With the engine running and the thermostat open (radiator cap off), unscrew the sender until water seeps out. They aren't supposed to get airlocked, but it sometimes happens. Does the gauge climb or just goes to the reading immediately and stays there? Is it a new sender? Sure it's the right one for the gauge?
Instructions should come with the Uni-sync, It's been a while since I used one, but as I recall, they aren't difficult to use.
Thanks for the instructions. The gauge climbs up and stays there. The sender is newer. I bought it and installed it in the engine before the rebuild. It was working fine. I still haven't checked it to see if I put tape on the threads.

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I had the over heating indication with my panel when I first got it started a few years back. Did everything I could think, flushed the system, ran vinegar through it for a week or so and got a lot of gunk out of it and still the gage would peg "HOT" after running only a few minutes. Really scary to see that happen on flattie. I went down and bought a set of after market mechanical gages, one for each side, and installed them. They never indicated any temps over 180°. Still have them mounted under the dash.
Moon makes a mechanical guage. I'll probably buy and install it to be safe.

Originally Posted by old_dan
I think I can remember enough to get through a carb sync exercise!!
I hope you do. I checked out Speedway's website for this product and there's a quick overview on how to use it. Hopefully we can complete this exercise next week.

Quick Reply: About to throw in the towel