Sponsored by:

Output Shaft Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM
hamiltonfighter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Output Shaft Speed Sensor

Okay, I have a P0720 code. I bought the Output Shaft Speed Sensor and read that it is on the back end of the transmission.

Can anyone confirm that it is on top of the transmission, near the tail end? Why are parts that go bad always in the most inconvenient places?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Yes, it is.

When you get it in, if it doesn't fix the problem come back and I'll help you find the real problem.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 AM
hamiltonfighter
Junior User
Well, I switched out the sensor. Wasn't difficult but you're working blind because of the location. Luckily there is plenty of room.

I also want to mention that it took some prying to get the old sensor free. 261,000 miles will probably tends to make things secure.

I am on a test drive right now. There was a little sputtering earlier, but it went away. Also, it hasn't died at idle yet.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:55 PM
hamiltonfighter
Junior User
Well, I have put some miles on it without the EX dying, but the sputter is still there. The sputter isn't as bad as it was before changing the sensor, but at lower speed I can still feel it.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Waltersboys
New User
My 03 EX V10 was shooting the same code I changed the sensor and it was all good for about 3 days and then the spuddering and dying at low speeds started again. Long story short I found out that I had 2 bad coils 2 new coils 10,000 miles and no troubles. Good luck

Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by hamiltonfighter
Well, I have put some miles on it without the EX dying, but the sputter is still there. The sputter isn't as bad as it was before changing the sensor, but at lower speed I can still feel it.

Any suggestions?
You have a bad COP is my guess. I have had the same problem. The replaced a couple of COP's and the problem went away. Now after our big 4500 mile trip it is back again. I will be doing the same thing. I have some spare COP's that I will be swapping out, but the problem is that I don't know which ones are good and which are bad. I may just go buy 5 new MC COP's and move them around. I am so cheap (frugal) I can't stand it.

Keep in mind that it can be plugs, injectors, and/or the associated parts.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:51 AM
hamiltonfighter
Junior User
I already ordered some new COPs and will try that route next.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
hamiltonfighter
Junior User
Well, I put all new COPs and spark plugs in today. Only had a 15 minute test drive, but it seemed better already. No sputtering in the low RPM range, and it hasn't died yet.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:18 AM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i fought the same battle!! here are some options for you cheapest to most expensive...

1) the OSS wasn't the issues but it's new so leave it in, roll with it. hopefully didn't' cost you much over $30

2) there is a diode in the alternator that "could" go bad. unplug your alternator (this just turns the alt into a pulley, no work is being done). drive it and see if the shudder is still there, if so, plug alt back in and go to next step. if the miss/shudder goes away completely, the diode is bad, have a shop rebuild your alt, or get you a new one. read about this quite a bit on other diesel forums too.

3) change your plugs, boots, and springs. this is about a $40 fix. if your plug boots are dry rotted/cracked/not seating right, this can cause a arc to ground from the COP. this in turn sends a signal to the torque converter telling it to "LOCK UP" when it's not supposed to. it can cause stalls when you stop at an inter section, and shudder when driving in lower gears (1-3) but goes away at road speed.

i trouble shot the alternator first, wasn't the issue, i had it "refreshed" by a top notch shop here in town anyway. tried the OSS cause the snap on MODIS scan tool was showing erratic signal from the censor.... still wasn't the issue. bought plugs, boots, and springs to change out.... 7 out of 10 boots were bad cracked and dry rotted. changed all of them out, used a decent amount of die-electric grease on each plug and boot, and all the shudder issues were GONE!

no issues for about 12K miles from a simple COP boot change. hope this helps some!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
labman1014
Elder User
well, i threw the same codes today. truck hasnt been drivien that much in about 3 weeks due to leaking rear caliper. where can i buy the OSS sensor? ive done a search on advacne auto parts website but it doesnt pull anything up......tks!!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:27 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by labman1014
well, i threw the same codes today. truck hasnt been drivien that much in about 3 weeks due to leaking rear caliper. where can i buy the OSS sensor? ive done a search on advacne auto parts website but it doesnt pull anything up......tks!!
Did you already replace all the COP's with the new ones you ordered?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM
labman1014
Elder User
Originally Posted by TrdLtly
Did you already replace all the COP's with the new ones you ordered?
I havent ordered any yet. Though reading through the searches I have done, that probably will be first b4 the OSS.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
I havent ordered any yet. Though reading through the searches I have done, that probably will be first b4 the OSS.
Sorry, didn't realize the thread was LOL

You can replace the OSS and the VSS and it will not fix your the P0720. Find a shop that can monitor misfires. They have to plug in a computer that is able to translate the data. "Most" often this code is caused by at least one bad coil, although some find that just replacing the COP boots fix the problem.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 PM
labman1014
Elder User
Originally Posted by TrdLtly
Sorry, didn't realize the thread was LOL

You can replace the OSS and the VSS and it will not fix your the P0720. Find a shop that can monitor misfires. They have to plug in a computer that is able to translate the data. "Most" often this code is caused by at least one bad coil, although some find that just replacing the COP boots fix the problem.
Sorry. Thought my post concerning where to buy the OSS would not be a hijack. But now taking about cops is one. Lol. For what's its worth, plugs and boots r less than 5k miles. OSS and cops r my suspects.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Sorry. Thought my post concerning where to buy the OSS would not be a hijack. But now taking about cops is one. Lol. For what's its worth, plugs and boots r less than 5k miles. OSS and cops r my suspects.
Personal experience: I used the eBay cheapest COP's I could find. Just bought the truck at the time. Then everyone tells me watch out! Sure enough they didn't even make our 4500 mile trip before they started misfiring. Lifetime warranty? Yes... if I want to pay for shipping to China. LOL That ain't happening. Lesson partially learned. (hard headed)

There are lots of variables on the VSS as you can imagine. My mechanic, since it was new to me, checked out the VSS for me. He was able to unplug it from the harness on top of the drivers side wheel well and it was still sending a signal to the ECM/PCM that the truck was going 126 mph. LOL... it wasn't moving. That is when he said this is going to cost ya, because he will have to troubleshoot it. In other words he would have to hunt for the problem at an hourly rate. I told him that I can do that. I brought it home and started digging into FTE to figure out where to go. After days of perusing probably hundreds of posts I figured out that it all leads to the COP's.... so I go buy some cheap ones. Sure enough that fixed the P0720 problem and it ran great for a couple of months or about 5k miles. Now I believe I have more then one randomly misfiring under load only. I just ordered a new set of all 10 COP's. While almost everyone on FTE recommends MC COP's I still have a hard time coming up with enough justification to spend 4x more for them. I did find on other forums some COP's that are working from eBay. The other forums state that they have had no problems with them. The other thing is that the seller is in FL and not China. They have a phone number to call and talk with someone. I will give them a try.

Quick Reply: Output Shaft Speed Sensor