Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Junior User

carolinaborn82 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fifth wheel for F-150?

I have an 05 F-150 with a 5.5ft. bed. Can I get a fifth wheel with that setup? I have always wanted one but I am not sure if it is possible with my setup.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
nope. Well I think there maybe something lite enough out there to do the job if local I would not recommend it.

When you take into account the king pin wt of a 5er that goes against your payload and the ratings of your axles, brakes, cooling capacity of the motor and much much more you will not be happy or safe.

F250/F350 is where you need to be for this to work.

Best way imho about this idea is to shop for the 5er of your choice. Decide what you will get and then shop for the truck that will do the job.

Although you are spending more money up front you will be able to enjoy the adventure with clean underwear.

Hope that helps a bit.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
nope. Well I think there maybe something lite enough out there to do the job if local I would not recommend it.

When you take into account the king pin wt of a 5er that goes against your payload and the ratings of your axles, brakes, cooling capacity of the motor and much much more you will not be happy or safe.

F250/F350 is where you need to be for this to work.

Best way imho about this idea is to shop for the 5er of your choice. Decide what you will get and then shop for the truck that will do the job.

Although you are spending more money up front you will be able to enjoy the adventure with clean underwear.

Hope that helps a bit.
I respect your opinion. I figured that was gonna be the response. Getting a new truck is out of the question considering I just got this one. I will just stick to bumper towables. I definately don't have to have a fifth wheel, but I do know I can't go any longer in our little popup.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaborn82 View Post
I respect your opinion. I figured that was gonna be the response. Getting a new truck is out of the question considering I just got this one. I will just stick to bumper towables. I definately don't have to have a fifth wheel, but I do know I can't go any longer in our little popup.
A bumper pull is an excellant choice and many have sliders as well. figure 10% for the tongue wt in your calulations.

You will also want the weight dist. type hitch.

Does your F150 have the TBC(trailer brake controller)? If not then you will want that as well.

F150 is a good truck but a 5er will not be a good choice that's all.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Junior User

Yeah I have to get a brake controller for the truck. I am wanting something around 24 to 26ft. I would prefer a slidout, but it isn't a deal breaker. I just know the popup with two kids is just way too small now. Gotta go bigger or get out of camping, and I ain't getting out of camping.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
There are some models of 5th wheel campers on the market that are light enough for you to pull, but not many. And with a 5.5ft bed, you are going to want a sliding hitch. The good ones aren't cheap.

Then there's the temptation once the hitch is there to see what the truck can REALLY handle...

'02 F250 7.3 Auto Extended Cab Long Box 225+k Miles No Mods
Old 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
I doubt the fivers that are light enough for an F150 would meet your needs. The shorter ones have less room than a tag-along.

Steve
2010 F150 super cab, box stock, bed slide, ARE bed cover
Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
I doubt the fivers that are light enough for an F150 would meet your needs. The shorter ones have less room than a tag-along.

Steve
Yeah I think I am gonna stick with a bumper pull. It seems to be more suitable for my equipment. After this pup, anything is gonna be a huge upgrade in functionality and space.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Postmaster

351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.
ive seen f150s pulling 5ers, but not with a 5.5 ft bed, i dont think youll have the clearance youd need. but if you did you could pull one, just not a 40ft tri-axle toyhauler i think bumper pull is better anyway because it leaves your bed available.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Senior User

curtw48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Carolinaborn82,

Check out this guys posts. He did it the right way.
Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans - View Profile: Platinum_Sean
Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 AM
The Pacifier

bigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputation
I know you said you just got this truck, but have you considered Craigslist? There's OBS dually trucks AND older 5th wheel combos for 10 grand all over the place.

When I found out my father in law paid 11 grand for his 5th wheel (to be pulled by his 1/2 ton Ram) I literally asked him what was he thinking. That's when I looked on Craigslist to find a better deal. And sure enough, within 5 minutes I found 3 truck and trailer combinations (2 Fords and a Dodge, trailers 24-27 feet) under 10 grand.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:08 AM
Posting Guru

dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw48 View Post
Carolinaborn82,

Check out this guys posts. He did it the right way.
Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans - View Profile: Platinum_Sean
I only bring this up as the OP needs to be thinking about all this information and axle loading, even if he is bumper towing. The OP has asked the right questions, and every post has been informative and great.

This link goes to a very nice looking rig, but I was looking for loaded axle weights and pin weights on that rig he has. I do not see any of that type of information in his "garage" section? I see that he has superspring helpers, which would account for the proper frame slope (no rear squating under load) but do nothing to add even one pound of ANY actaul or usable axle capacity, only adjust ride height.

Is that 5th really that light that with 15% or so weight on the pin, a full load of fuel, his normal load of gear and people in the truck that he is not over on the 1/2 ton rear GAWR? Even on the SD trucks, with there much heavier rated rear axles, the SRW configuration rear axle capacity seems to be the single largest limiting factor

If so, then I would say he has done a absolutly fantastic job of matching a truck and trailer!

If not, then I would say he has done a fantastic job of making a overloaded rig "appear" safe.

David
90 F250 7.5L E4OD, 03 F350 SD auto with the infamous diesel 6.0 for work, 70 C600 330 MT40 auto dump truck O2 Oldsmobile Bravada, Kubota L3200, Hustler Super Z mower, all Hydrostatics, 85 Honda Elite 250 & 150 scooter CVT - Nary a manual in the fleet!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanlyr View Post
I only bring this up as the OP needs to be thinking about all this information and axle loading, even if he is bumper towing. The OP has asked the right questions, and every post has been informative and great.

This link goes to a very nice looking rig, but I was looking for loaded axle weights and pin weights on that rig he has. I do not see any of that type of information in his "garage" section? I see that he has superspring helpers, which would account for the proper frame slope (no rear squating under load) but do nothing to add even one pound of ANY actaul or usable axle capacity, only adjust ride height.

Is that 5th really that light that with 15% or so weight on the pin, a full load of fuel, his normal load of gear and people in the truck that he is not over on the 1/2 ton rear GAWR? Even on the SD trucks, with there much heavier rated rear axles, the SRW configuration rear axle capacity seems to be the single largest limiting factor

If so, then I would say he has done a absolutly fantastic job of matching a truck and trailer!

If not, then I would say he has done a fantastic job of making a overloaded rig "appear" safe.

David
Hi David,

I think you pretty well nailed the issue in that it is simply not possible to tell from a picture what axle weight are. I think some folks really understand the issues involved and do a great job of matching their tow vehicle to their load, but working often on dealers lots, I can assure you the overwhelming majority go by a rule that seems to be, if I can hook onto it, I can tow it.

I always tell folks when you are towing, it is not enough that we keep ourselves safe. I think we all have an obligation to keep others on the road safe as well.

Steve
2010 F150 super cab, box stock, bed slide, ARE bed cover
Old 07-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
Hi David,

I think you pretty well nailed the issue in that it is simply not possible to tell from a picture what axle weight are. I think some folks really understand the issues involved and do a great job of matching their tow vehicle to their load, but working often on dealers lots, I can assure you the overwhelming majority go by a rule that seems to be, if I can hook onto it, I can tow it.

I always tell folks when you are towing, it is not enough that we keep ourselves safe. I think we all have an obligation to keep others on the road safe as well.

Steve
you nailed it. i would love to have a fifth wheel and i am sure i could get away with it going to the lake or to the beach, but we wanna do some mountain camping and it just isn't smart to have some huge land yacht pushing you down the mountain. i have a wife and two kids, don't wanna be stupid, just wanna enjoy camping.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
What engine do you have in the 150? Is it the new eco-boost? If so, I think there are 5er's that were build with that truck in mind.

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 PM