Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Senior User

rutang is starting off with a positive reputation.
What Hitch Receiver Should I Buy? Please Help!

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger Supercab XLT. I need a hitch receiver badly. I want one that installs quickly with no drilling and fits without moving spare tire. I see two on JC Whitney... anyone have any tips or preference on what I should get? Here are the links. Would love to hear from some of you that have bought and installed one already... Thanks.

Curt CLASS III Hitch RECEIVERS - JCWhitney

Hidden Hitch CLASS III AND IV ROUND-TUBE RECEIVER HitchES - JCWhitney
Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Junior User

WhiteWidow is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's really all up to your personal preference since you're looking at a lower profile receiver as well. If all you want to be seen is the receiver and none of the tubing go with the Hidden Hitch. If you don't care what can be seen then go with the Curt Class. I have the Curt Class III on my 97 and can guarantee it won't let you down. It's built strong and requires only a 10 minute installation time.

Both are good quality receivers it's just up to how much of it you want to be showing.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Posting Guru

mfp4073 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mfp4073 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Its a truck, does a hitch frame showing really matter? I got one..think mine is a reese off a junkyard truck minus the hitch. Got it out in about 30 min, installed in about 20 min. Very similar to the first hitch you listed.

99 3.0 auto ext cab stepside 4x4
Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Ordered the 99 Ranger in my signature with a factory installed class-3 frame mounted hitch. Have used it a lot over the years & it still looks good & is holding up well.

So go for a quality made, class three hitch, thats pre drilled & that says it'll bolt right up for frame mounting to a Ranger. Powder coated finish is good too.

If your going to tow a lot, you might also consider a "cushioned ball mount", with a 2" drop, for the reciever, as it'll level the load & lessen/round off the jerks & jars to the drive line while towing & you, the driveline & your tow will appreciate that!!!! "Convert-A-Ball" makes them, I paid about $40 for mine 13 years ago & its holding up fine, no problems so far.
Here is a link to a cut away view of internals. http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/...l/AMSCV-2.html

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you decide on & how it goes.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Senior User

rutang is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the tips! I am going to order the Curt Class III. I just wanted to make sure no one chimed in and said it was a piece of junk or isn't easy to installl... you know something like that. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:49 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutang View Post
Thanks for the tips! I am going to order the Curt Class III. I just wanted to make sure no one chimed in and said it was a piece of junk or isn't easy to installl... you know something like that. Thanks again.
The Curt hitch that you posted a link to in your first post is not for a Ranger, here is the hitch they list for a Ranger & it says that drilling IS required for installation!!!! Edit Link: http://www.curtmfg.com/HitchLookup/f...ab=class3hitch

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 06-23-2012, 07:49 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
2004, bolt, diesel, edge, excursion, ford, hitch, receiver, reciever, size