78 Bronco speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
78 Bronco speaker?

I think i blew out the dash speaker in my 78 bronco. It has no more sound, but that isn't the issue here. I need to know the size so i can get a replacement, i figure the best way would be to pull the speaker and either measure it or take it up to car toys and match it up but i figured i would try here and call ahead rather than waste gas and time. And i also figured if i am going to tear into the dash to remove the speaker it would be better to have a replacement ready. I tried JCWhitney and Crutchfield and go no results there. I think it is a 4X6 but i am not sure.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:32 PM
400 .040over
Senior User
think its 5x7

Old 05-21-2012, 06:30 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 400 .040over
think its 5x7
Man i thought there would never be an answer on this thread. I went to CarToys to ask them if they knew what size and if they could give me a price. Turns out they don't and what they normally do is cut an oval sort of shape out of some thin metal and place 2 small 3" speakers in it then mount that to the stock speaker mounts... Seems like a cheap way to get money. The guy informed me that doing it that way doesn't produce the best sound, due to the small size. The guy suggested i do 6-6 1/2 rounds in the doors behind my panels, this isn't a bad idea except my door panels rattle like a mother even just idling.. I couldn't image what 2 speakers would do. He told me to put a foam tape around the edge to kind of cushion it against the speaker. This theory is all fine and dandy except for the price. They quoted me at lowest about $50 just for speakers. That price can go all the way to $200, and he told me i should get the 150 to 200 dollar ones cause they are the better quality ones. I don't know if it was just part of his job to forcefully upsell or if he didn't realize what i drive. This bronco isn't made to have some expensive extravagant sound system, it was ment to play music to my liking. That is why i will Probably buy some cheaper ones from Walmart or something to see how it plays out and if i like the way it sounds i might eventually get some slightly nicer ones.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Man i thought there would never be an answer on this thread. I went to CarToys to ask them if they knew what size and if they could give me a price. Turns out they don't and what they normally do is cut an oval sort of shape out of some thin metal and place 2 small 3" speakers in it then mount that to the stock speaker mounts... Seems like a cheap way to get money. The guy informed me that doing it that way doesn't produce the best sound, due to the small size. The guy suggested i do 6-6 1/2 rounds in the doors behind my panels, this isn't a bad idea except my door panels rattle like a mother even just idling.. I couldn't image what 2 speakers would do. He told me to put a foam tape around the edge to kind of cushion it against the speaker. This theory is all fine and dandy except for the price. They quoted me at lowest about $50 just for speakers. That price can go all the way to $200, and he told me i should get the 150 to 200 dollar ones cause they are the better quality ones. I don't know if it was just part of his job to forcefully upsell or if he didn't realize what i drive. This bronco isn't made to have some expensive extravagant sound system, it was ment to play music to my liking. That is why i will Probably buy some cheaper ones from Walmart or something to see how it plays out and if i like the way it sounds i might eventually get some slightly nicer ones.
Stock trucks (and I imagine Broncos) had speakers in the doors, plus the speaker in the dash. I got a good deal at Walmart on a Pioneer system, came with a head unit and 2 6" speakers (I put them next to the rear seat), for really cheap ($120 I think), and just those two speakers are perfect for when I'm in parking lots or the truck is off (can't hear **** while driving exhaust is too loud)

Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jgavac
Stock trucks (and I imagine Broncos) had speakers in the doors, plus the speaker in the dash. I got a good deal at Walmart on a Pioneer system, came with a head unit and 2 6" speakers (I put them next to the rear seat), for really cheap ($120 I think), and just those two speakers are perfect for when I'm in parking lots or the truck is off (can't hear **** while driving exhaust is too loud)
As far as i know, at least in 78 the bronco had an option for door speakers and even had the hole pre cut but never had speakers in them unless you ordered them. They had the one odd one in the dash then 2 4" ones infront of the rear seats. Now i have 2 6" walmarts Scosche speakers in the door and 2 4" speakers in the middle that i pulled from an old cabinet speaker for surround sound. Then i hve 2 10" Audio Pipe subs in a single vented box in the rear that plays music as well as amplifies the bass. It works out pretty well.