Ford Releases Special Service Vehicle F-150

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Ford-Trucks Editors
Host
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Releases Special Service Vehicle F-150

Read about it here: Ford Releases Special Service Vehicle F-150

The trucks include an upsized alternator for increased electrical loads. They'll also have vinyl seats for easy cleaning. In a couple of years, these'll be trucks to look out for when they go to auction.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think the "Special Service Vehicle" is the same as the Interceptor as in the Taurus and Explorer, so I don't think these would actually be used for patrol vehicles. However, they will be great for things like Community Service Officers, Park Patrol, Fire Chiefs, Commercial Vehicle Inspectors, etc, many of which already use F-150s.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:53 PM
loydmeeks
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have Highway patrol driving F250's with a shell camper, Sheriff driving F150's. Getting hard to know till you pass or meet them as all lights are hidden.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:38 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Ford is constantly playing catch-up in this arena. Here in Hampton, Va, there are a few 1500 Silverado trucks on the Police Force. They are used by cadets and regulars in all facets of police duty.

One thing to think about though: Will the larger alternator eventually make it's way into mainstream F-150's and enable them to offer a snowplow prep package?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
wonder if that push bar will be available ....

that's probably the only full height grill guard i've seen that i actually like.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
They are used quite a bit here in Colorado. And pretty good performance too. The 4 doors give you the versatility of a car & truck in one. Great vehicles.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
One thing to think about though: Will the larger alternator eventually make it's way into mainstream F-150's and enable them to offer a snowplow prep package?
Pretty confident that the alternator capacity has nothing to do with the fact that there is no snow plow prep option. I think that the only trucks that can be rated to carry a small plow are the HD trucks, and those are restricted to light plows for personal use only.

I don't think the front suspension was ever designed to handle the abuse of carrying a plow. That, IMHO, is the week link here.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:34 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Pretty confident that the alternator capacity has nothing to do with the fact that there is no snow plow prep option. I think that the only trucks that can be rated to carry a small plow are the HD trucks, and those are restricted to light plows for personal use only.

I don't think the front suspension was ever designed to handle the abuse of carrying a plow. That, IMHO, is the week link here.

Non of the F-150's are snow plow rated, HD or not. The reason Ford gives is because the electric power assist steering (EPAS) draws so much juice that the electrical system can't handle the load of the electric snow plow motors.

The only F-150's that don't have EPAS are the 6.2L trucks and they are not rated for plow prep packages either but it has little or nothing to do with the front suspension.

I don't advocate plowing with a half ton truck but if the power is there to operate the plow motor what excuse will Ford come up with next?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Non of the F-150's are snow plow rated, HD or not. The reason Ford gives is because the electric power assist steering (EPAS) draws so much juice that the electrical system can't handle the load of the electric snow plow motors.
Huh...that's an interesting change. The previous generation ('04-'08) had something in the manual that the HD models could hang a light plow.

The only F-150's that don't have EPAS are the 6.2L trucks and they are not rated for plow prep packages either but it has little or nothing to do with the front suspension.
I don't agree. It has EVERYTHING to do with the front suspension IMHO. Looking through the chart on www.fleet.ford.com, the maximum front GAWR available is 4,050 lbs. The base curb weight permits ~5-700 lbs extra on the front axle before going over GAWR. Even a light plow, accounting for the weight levered off the rear axle, would place the front end over GAWR without even the weight of a skinny driver.

With the exception of the HD models the max payload is typically less than 1,500 lbs, with some exceptions. Add a driver, plow, and counterweight in the bed and you'd be over GVWR easily. There's a reason that no half ton truck on the market is rated for a snow plow. And it ain't the alternator.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Huh...that's an interesting change. The previous generation ('04-'08) had something in the manual that the HD models could hang a light plow.

I don't agree. It has EVERYTHING to do with the front suspension IMHO. Looking through the chart on www.fleet.ford.com, the maximum front GAWR available is 4,050 lbs. The base curb weight permits ~5-700 lbs extra on the front axle before going over GAWR. Even a light plow, accounting for the weight levered off the rear axle, would place the front end over GAWR without even the weight of a skinny driver.

With the exception of the HD models the max payload is typically less than 1,500 lbs, with some exceptions. Add a driver, plow, and counterweight in the bed and you'd be over GVWR easily. There's a reason that no half ton truck on the market is rated for a snow plow. And it ain't the alternator.

I'm not going to argue with you about this Tom. The 1500 GM twins DO have a snow plow prep package. Check it out and see. It's my understanding that after the next redesign the plow prep package may be history for them as well. BUT for now, they offer it.

The owner's manual on my 2011 F-150 simply states that the electrical system will not handle the load of a plow. It says nothing about the suspension components. Light weight plows can be had and are significantly lighter than the old steel blades.

Anyway, I derailed this and I apologize to the OP.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:46 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,063 Likes on 4,163 Posts
Tim is correct...plows are not allowed due to issues with the EPAS.

In Massachusetts Environmental Police use pick up trucks extensively...as well as State Police Truck Teams.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Sorry for the derail Tim. I loves me a good debate and I haven't had one in awhile.

Originally Posted by BIGKEN
In Massachusetts Environmental Police use pick up trucks extensively...as well as State Police Truck Teams.
I think you see them frequently, particularly in the northern US. When I was stationed at Fort Drum the local county sheriff had a half-ton truck or two, and the local law enforcement up here uses them as well. With the commonality of AWD crossovers that get great fuel economy, like the Explorer PI, I'm not sure how long this will continue for. I do know that my Fusion won't outrun an EB F150!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
The Ford Lobo in Mexico (or a four-door F150) are used as police vehicles in Tijuana. It looks very plain and the wheels are also very plain. I found some in Flickr...

Municipal Police Lobo in Tijuana

Federal Police Lobo in Tijuana

Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,063 Likes on 4,163 Posts
On another note...I found out today that a plow package will be available in 2013. See seperate thread for more details.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:08 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
On another note...I found out today that a plow package will be available in 2013. See seperate thread for more details.

Thanks for posting Ken! Looks like I had a crystal ball.

Quick Reply: Ford Releases Special Service Vehicle F-150