6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

They Figured out how to steal the newest trucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They Figured out how to steal the newest trucks

I have been wondering if the encrypted key on the 2011/2012's was any better than the older ones...

I guess the bad guys have figured it out..
Last Friday they stole a truck at a mall here in Austin - ran from cops & killed a guy when they ran a red light...

News said it was a F250 but no year... Looking at the footage i see that it has a 6.7 emblem so it's either a '11 or '12..

Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2012, 07:11 AM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ignition switches are easy to defeat, and all you need to get by the encrypted keys is the proper scan tool and 10 mins.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's possible to theft proof your vehicles, but really there's nothing we can do unless you feel like spending a ton of money.

I've always wanted an aftermarket alarm/deterrent system but it's just too expensive.

Sometimes I wonder if we could just come up with a simple switch that can be hidden by the driver seat that would not allow current to reach the starter motor. It's not secure but really, it's all about how much time the thief is willing to spend trying to start it.

You electrical wiz folks, can a low current switch connected to a relay for the big power handle the start current? Is it even worth thinking about?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by ruschejj
It's possible to theft proof your vehicles, but really there's nothing we can do unless you feel like spending a ton of money.

I've always wanted an aftermarket alarm/deterrent system but it's just too expensive.

Sometimes I wonder if we could just come up with a simple switch that can be hidden by the driver seat that would not allow current to reach the starter motor. It's not secure but really, it's all about how much time the thief is willing to spend trying to start it.

You electrical wiz folks, can a low current switch connected to a relay for the big power handle the start current? Is it even worth thinking about?
Do they make something that you could put in place where a fuse is - then put the fuse in it with a wire to "interrupt" a fuse? That would be the slickest - Like your starter interrupt - it wouldn't stop all evil-doers but it would slow down/ stop the joy-riders, etc...

Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
For anyone interested, Byram left enough clues with his screenshot for me to find the video:

Family of man killed in deadly pursuit questions APD

Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Byram
Do they make something that you could put in place where a fuse is - then put the fuse in it with a wire to "interrupt" a fuse? That would be the slickest - Like your starter interrupt - it wouldn't stop all evil-doers but it would slow down/ stop the joy-riders, etc...
this seems to be an easy change.. still have to remember to use the remote or the fixed release (like the Ravelco plug)

Vandal Alert--Your Source for the No-Start Anti-Theft Relay Program

need to get one myself.. seems the relay cover looks different than the stock one, so someone looking for obvious signs might detect this relay.. wonder if you can pull the cover from the stock one and replace..

Sam

Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Specularius
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the owner left the key in the ignition.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I have a bit of a different perspective on this stuff I guess. If someone is going to go through the trouble to break into my truck it wouldn't really bother me if they made off with it.

Call me strange, but a theft claim involves me paying the same deductible that a vandalism claim does. Of course I would prefer that said degenerate thief not kill anyone with it.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Thom12
Senior User
The news article Tom posted stated the chase hit 96 mph, I thought these trucks had a limited speed somewhere around 90, but I have never wanted to find the top end of mine.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
I use one of these on our golf cart. Have the switch hidden.
This would work and is something to consider.

Use it between the starter terminal and cables.
It works with a magnetic latch, so there is no current drain other then when actually switching over.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syste.../dp/B0016HRUPE

Don't remember where I ordered mine from, but it was about $40 cheaper then the Amazon site.

This is what the switch looks like, but a momentary DPDT switch would probably work too.
http://bluesea.com/products/2145

Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Thom12
The news article Tom posted stated the chase hit 96 mph, I thought these trucks had a limited speed somewhere around 90, but I have never wanted to find the top end of mine.
I think it is 97 mph

Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Crazy001
I have a bit of a different perspective on this stuff I guess. If someone is going to go through the trouble to break into my truck it wouldn't really bother me if they made off with it.

Call me strange, but a theft claim involves me paying the same deductible that a vandalism claim does. Of course I would prefer that said degenerate thief not kill anyone with it.
well,

While the FBI's latest Uniform Crime Report indicated that the national recovery rate of stolen vehicles has hit a 25+ year low of 56 percent,

so, around 1/2 the time you light get it back. what condition is it in, and what will insurance really cover..

Sam

Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Thom12
YEa - Well the first reports were 100 mph - They corrected that in this report - I figure Someone told them that these trucks defuel at 96 - I think it is 96 - My gasser did at that speed anyway... Don't ask how I know...

Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Crazy001

Deductible may be the same, but I just assume not start all over with the changes I have done.
That and if the truck is stolen, damaged and recovered, the time wasted without the truck while it is repaired.

My trailer hitch, tool box and roil top is 10% of the cost of the truck (never thought about that until just now )

Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by porthole
I use one of these on our golf cart. Have the switch hidden.
This would work and is something to consider.

Use it between the starter terminal and cables.
It works with a magnetic latch, so there is no current drain other then when actually switching over.

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 7700 ML-Series Remote Battery Switch with Manual Control (12v DC): Sports & Outdoors

Don't remember where I ordered mine from, but it was about $40 cheaper then the Amazon site.

This is what the switch looks like, but a momentary DPDT switch would probably work too.
Remote Control Contura Switch - PN 2145 - Blue Sea Systems
the Cyclops thing does this without wires.. the relay is remote controlled. No wires to mod.. pull out the relay it replaces, insert the new.. won't start without the relay control

Sam

Quick Reply: They Figured out how to steal the newest trucks