1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OBD II and I phone capabilities.....REV

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OBD II and I phone capabilities.....REV

So i have had an old style phones for quite some time and the wife is asking for a new smart phone in a month or so, and I really do not have any need for one. However if these apps are cracked up to be what they state than I might go ahead and get one. She wants one of those fancy city slicker I phone 4. And I would just get a second one for when we resign our policy.

Check this app out... it would sure be neat if you can use it as an all around scanner.... but even as a live monitor I thinks its pretty impressive... I'm sure in a year they will have one of these apps that does everything...

DevToaster - Rev - iPhone app development, Great iPhone apps, and more

Anyone on here tried messing with them yet for the 7.3's? I know the money bags 2010 +psd owners have been fooling with the droid and their new trucks... I am a mac guy and always have been so I would prefer to use an I phone over any PC based operating system.

It would be pretty neat if there were some legit results with this thing... and really is the only reason I am considering a smart phone...

Well actually they have a pretty bad a$$ balistics range and windage calculator specific to whatever load and round you are shooting... Went shooting this past weekend and my buddy had his phone programmed for all these custom loads in 300, 223, 308, 500... and he could hold the phone at the same angle of his rifle and it would auto calculate his adjustment on the scope.... damm near dead accurate shooting 200-650 yards across a valley utilizing windage approximations... blew my socks off!!!! this was shooting a ton of different calibers and loads....

Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Apps are the way of life now. =)

I have multiple phone lines on my phone, calculators, blah blah blah.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was someone who was going to try it but haven't heard anymore. I'm using torque on Android and it works. Need a better adapter though as the data rate is not fast enough.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
What all are you able to pull with torque from the computer? Codes? What else?

Still want to go witht he I phone...shoot the cable is 100 bucks though

Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
It will pull engine codes I know. Trans I'm not sure as I have a 5spd. My obd adapter isnt fast enough to pull data stream very well.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I'm not into it yet much myself but the other day I downloaded 'dishpointer AR pro' app into my iphone and I can't believe it. It will show you all the satellite up there and how to point your dish. Lat, long, elev, skew, az and all the important stuff you need to point it. Amazing. Combine this with your ballistics app and we could shoot a satellite out of orbit!!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I'm not into it yet much myself but the other day I downloaded 'dishpointer AR pro' app into my iphone and I can't believe it. It will show you all the satellite up there and how to point your dish. Lat, long, elev, skew, az and all the important stuff you need to point it. Amazing. Combine this with your ballistics app and we could shoot a satellite out of orbit!!
And now both our usernames are under goverment eye...

I wonder when they will have the first gubberment drone app out, allows you to locate the nearest government spy drone near you... we could then use your satelite app to triangulate on the drone ... and then the balistics app to calculate a 50 cal rounds trajection to take out the effing government drone....then the feds will come after us will full force for destroying government property.....yeah thatll be the day....

But seriously back to the REV app It would sure be nice to get some criticism about it capabilities and functions. I would be more interested to have it as a real time data logging device... Other complain their wifi hookups are not quick enough to do with the droids. I saw amazon had a cable for the I phone thats 100 bucks that plugs directly to the phone from the port. I'm guessing this would eliminate wireless lag.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by nossliw
And now both our usernames are under goverment eye...
oops, I'm afraid your probably right !!

Old 06-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
I purchased the blue driver app for my iPhone and the Bluetooth plug. It has tons a gauges when u purchase the upgrade, in the app it's self. It reads codes and clears them. I think it is mainly geared at the newer vehicles. Lots of the stuff u can't use because our trucks just don't put out that info. I think total it ran about $100 or so for everything. I was just curious and had to check it out. I went ahead and got auto enginuity ford enhanced. But if u just want to read trouble codes and clear them blue driver works pretty good.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

My scan gauge covers most of that stuff so I don't know if it would be worth it. Very interesting though!

Old 06-05-2012, 04:07 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Well I went ahead and picked it up, app, wifi OBDII reader, and a I phone mount. Not sure what all that can be offered from the metrics that the OBDII system on the 7.3 supports, but I figure all the times I'm in the garage and I had a code reader, for all of the cars. I really do hope I can somehow monitor pulse width on the injection system, and anything else it may offer. Wish our truck came with boost and fuel info built into the system . I notice there is a MAP metric reader too. Might be able use it somehow...not sure. Either way I'm still putting a mechanical boost guage and second pyro on the truck.

Anyone on here really know what info I can pull out of the OBDII system on our trucks... maybe some stuff to fool around with? Also stuff to not fool around with

Neat thing about it too is I can mount the phone on the race bike and get my gps location, top speed, positive and negative G accel, lateral accel, and even run a split time setup to shoot at lap times. Alway been curious what tru G forces are felt under hard braking...

Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Look into but if its anything like torque you can put codes into it to do pids that are pre programmed.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:24 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

boost
rpm
speed
volts
pw
ICP
trans temp
oil temp
coolant temp
DC %
This is not all the scan gauge can read, just what I can think of now.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nossliw
Well I went ahead and picked it up, app, wifi OBDII reader, and a I phone mount. Not sure what all that can be offered from the metrics that the OBDII system on the 7.3 supports, but I figure all the times I'm in the garage and I had a code reader, for all of the cars. I really do hope I can somehow monitor pulse width on the injection system, and anything else it may offer. Wish our truck came with boost and fuel info built into the system . I notice there is a MAP metric reader too. Might be able use it somehow...not sure. Either way I'm still putting a mechanical boost guage and second pyro on the truck.

Anyone on here really know what info I can pull out of the OBDII system on our trucks... maybe some stuff to fool around with? Also stuff to not fool around with

Neat thing about it too is I can mount the phone on the race bike and get my gps location, top speed, positive and negative G accel, lateral accel, and even run a split time setup to shoot at lap times. Alway been curious what tru G forces are felt under hard braking...
can you let us know if it works well with our trucks cause i would like something that i carry all the time with me ready to go if something happens

Old 06-05-2012, 08:18 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If it can see the MAP then that should be your boost

Quick Reply: OBD II and I phone capabilities.....REV