1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Intake Plenum Removal.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:55 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intake Plenum Removal.

Simple as that. I will be doing my IC piping and replacing the 2" intake plenums with 3" plnums this weekend and wanted to know how difficult they are to remove. How many of you all have done them? I already have some of the good grey FORD sealant for them, but I just wanted any advice on removal and installation.

I have heard others say you need to take the turbo off to do so and this surprised me. Do I really have to take the turbo off to get to all the bolts and remove them. Any hints or tricks would be much appreciated...Hell this doesn't seem like it should be a big deal to get them done. Its seems as time consuming as the valve covers...

I know it needs to be cleaned up very well before reinstall.

Thanks All...

Old 06-18-2012, 12:51 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Turbo has to come off to get the driver side plenum off.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:55 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Dang was not hoping to hear that....I have never taken the turbo off on this truck are there any links of how to do so, and will I need to replace any parts on the turbo (Orings/gaskets) once its off? If I need to order these parts I might wait a couple weekend till I can get the parts.
I was going to try to knock out the piping and plenums in a day but I might need to allow a bit more time I'm guessing....

Old 06-18-2012, 01:09 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Just read a very long write up and it does not seem like a easy quick thing to do and whiule its off I probably should rebuild it. I noticed there are quite a few things that need to be ordered and replaced to remount it....

Almost makes me wish I could just get a SD turbo and pipes while I'm doing it.....

Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
You need pedestal orings, exhaust flange gasket, and turbo rebuild kit(if you wanna rebuild it) clay has everything you'll need.

The R&R of turbo and plenums will take a day and IC pipes another day

Old 06-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
Almost makes me wish I could just get a SD turbo and pipes while I'm doing it.....
That would be a step backwards. Our turbos are an upgrade for the Super Duty trucks, not the other way around. You've heard of the Whicked Wheel right? That's a STOCK '94 - '97 wheel they put into the SD turbos...

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 06-18-2012, 04:47 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
That would be a step backwards. Our turbos are an upgrade for the Super Duty trucks, not the other way around. You've heard of the Whicked Wheel right? That's a STOCK '94 - '97 wheel they put into the SD turbos...
Yeah I have heard that before. I always thought the turbo itself was an upgrade from ours... This is good to know because I was considering doing it.

Thanks Jim

I will be sending the injectors this fall to you for Stage 1's. Do you do a stage 1.5 or so, instead of full on 2's? I do not want to be going up to a bigger turbo and feel 2's would be stressing the stock turbo a bit too much. Even with water injection and an Intercooler.

Thanks again

Welp thanks for the parts lists does not look like this will be getting done this weekend due to time and ordering. Not sure if the turbo needs to be rebuilt, but I do not know when it was last rebuilt and figure it won't hurt while its out fo the truck. The writeup looks great and even though I have never done it before it looks simple enough.

Thanks Clay.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Any pointer on turbo removal...sure looks tight back in there to be getting some of those bolts out.

Will I need new up pipe donuts as well?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Jim has a stage 1.5 they are 160/30%

You will nit touch the uppipes. Just the four bolts that mount the turbo to the collector

Old 06-18-2012, 04:52 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fordpride
Jim has a stage 1.5 they are 160/30%

You will nit touch the uppipes. Just the four bolts that mount the turbo to the collector

Good to know thank you...

Any one have any links to a full removal maybe with photos?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
nevermind u beat me to it before my post hit

Thanks again

Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Man thats a great write up. To be quite honest it looks very simple besides the issues of accesing a few of those bolts. Rebuilding the turbo looks a bit harder being a noob at it.

Going to go pick up some wobble sockets at Sears on the way home to make this easier...

Ok now I have another question! Since I'm going to have the EBPV off the turbo, is there any way I can completely disable it, and have it free flowing like and EBPV delete or something along those lines.... I'd like to get rid of it.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
Man thats a great write up. To be quite honest it looks very simple besides the issues of accesing a few of those bolts. Rebuilding the turbo looks a bit harder being a noob at it.

Going to go pick up some wobble sockets at Sears on the way home to make this easier...

Ok now I have another question! Since I'm going to have the EBPV off the turbo, is there any way I can completely disable it, and have it free flowing like and EBPV delete or something along those lines.... I'd like to get rid of it.
If you order today we can get it to you by the weekend.

Riffraff Diesel: Garrett TP38 High Flow Outlet 94.5-97

Riffraff Diesel: Garrett TP-38 Blank/Deleted Pedestal

Quick Reply: Intake Plenum Removal.