1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Power King tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Ross, I'll give the factory a call tomorrow, maybe the dealer wasn't look in the right place.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:18 PM
brad1979
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Firestones on my truck look okay, ride nice, were well priced and made in Canada. Fits right in on a Canadian truck... But I suppose that would be an import for you eh?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Brad,

What did you pay for your Firestones and how long ago?

I've only had one experience with Firestones on a new '85 F-150. It had 721s from the factory. I got stock in the slightest amount of snow and didn't realize until I bought new BF Goodriches what a hard ride they gave. New got stuck in the snow again with the BF Goodriches.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
brad1979
Senior User
They are Firestone Transforce HT LT215/85/R16 (pics of my truck in my album). I bought them about 2 years ago, I think I paid about $150 per tire but I do remember it was inexpensive compared to most. It seems we pay a lot more for tires up here. They do have a high load rating however which may be good or bad.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Ross, I'll give the factory a call tomorrow, maybe the dealer wasn't look in the right place.
I think these are the ones...

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

I don't want to appear to be pumping these because I don't have them on my truck. The price was good and the "look" was about right.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I think these are the ones...

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

I don't want to appear to be pumping these because I don't have them on my truck. The price was good and the "look" was about right.
As long as you understand that the $119 on DT's website equates closer to $150 out the door. Call them and ask for the full-meal-deal-tax-and-license-out-the-door price. If your experience is anything like mine the last time I shopped for tires a couple months ago for the DD, they really go for the bait and switch deal, trying to get you in with phony numbers. I about had to pry the total price out of the guy on the phone, and even then he kind of mumbled it under his breath. Your mileage may vary. Hopefully.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I bought two sets of tires from them (for my car and a different truck), and shipping was pretty minimal as long as you have them shipped to their local store (takes about a week), and get them installed there (which I would have anyway). If they aren't in WI, then shipping is likely $20 a tire.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Well, I haven't heard much bad stuff about the Power King brand except that they're made in Thailand or China. Don't really want to buy Chinese junk. I did contact Specialty Tires of America and they sent me a list of local dealers. I didn't have my information correct in one of my first posts, I got a list of dealers I thought I got from STA but I must have gotten it from an internet search and it only listed one dealer with multiple stores in central and western WI. Once I got the list from STA I found I had two dealesr within 15 miles of me. The first dealer can only sell farm tires from STA, they're a Goodyear dealer and the guy told me they implemented a policy about a month ago only to sell Goodyear tires for cars and trucks. I called the next dealer and he's looking up prices and will be getting back to me.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Power king used to be domestic but most old bias sizes are imports now. I sold that exact tread design in 1983. I'd switch to radials and a name brand tire, but I'm a tire snob. If you're not going to haul anything you could switch to a suv size for a smoother ride. 235 or 245/75-16 would work. If you want the lt tire, 238/85-16 would replace the 750's. Just keep the presure low or it will ride rough.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rhopper
Power king used to be domestic but most old bias sizes are imports now. I sold that exact tread design in 1983. I'd switch to radials and a name brand tire, but I'm a tire snob. If you're not going to haul anything you could switch to a suv size for a smoother ride. 235 or 245/75-16 would work. If you want the lt tire, 238/85-16 would replace the 750's. Just keep the presure low or it will ride rough.
Back then the PK was made by McCreary. Since then McCreary was sold and changed the name to Specialty Tire of America. The STA tire Bob is looking at is the exact same tire that was the PK back then.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Back then the PK was made by McCreary. Since then McCreary was sold and changed the name to Specialty Tire of America. The STA tire Bob is looking at is the exact same tire that was the PK back then.
Are you saying the current PK is the same as the STA tire? From the pictures posted on the respective web sites they look almost identical. I haven't made a decision yet but I was leaning toward the STA tire but it's going to take some work to get them and have them mounted and cost about $100+ more. Like I sated before, I would like to stay domestic but if they are comparable tires I'll probably go with the PK tires. I just wish STA made it easier to buy their tires locally so I wouldn't have the added shipping cost.

I've checked with radial tires but IMO I just don't think they look correct on the truck. I also don't mind the harsher ride, that's part of the character of the truck. If I want soft ride I drive my '04 Dodge with AC, cruise and all the other finer amenities. I like driving the old Ford because it's a real truck and rides and drives like a truck.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Are you saying the current PK is the same as the STA tire? From the pictures posted on the respective web sites they look almost identical. I haven't made a decision yet but I was leaning toward the STA tire but it's going to take some work to get them and have them mounted and cost about $100+ more. Like I sated before, I would like to stay domestic but if they are comparable tires I'll probably go with the PK tires. I just wish STA made it easier to buy their tires locally so I wouldn't have the added shipping cost.

I've checked with radial tires but IMO I just don't think they look correct on the truck. I also don't mind the harsher ride, that's part of the character of the truck. If I want soft ride I drive my '04 Dodge with AC, cruise and all the other finer amenities. I like driving the old Ford because it's a real truck and rides and drives like a truck.
No, quite the opposite, the PK tires of the 80's were manufactured by McCreary, using the same molds they used on the McCreary truck tires. STA which really IS McCreary is now using the same molds for the STA tires.
Power king is a 'Private Brand. tire, they do not manufacture any of their own tires, they simply pay another manufacturer to make the tires, changing the name plate in the mold to display their name on the tire.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
OK, another tire question, anyone have an opinion on Hercules tires? I did a search of FTE and found numerous posts by Colonel Flashman who seems to like them.

I would really go with the STA tires but they're proving to be PIA getting them in the size I want. I have a couple of local places like I mentioned above but none seem to be able to get them. Cooper is still the best price on STA with a HAMB discount but I to avoid shipping costs.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 06-30-2012, 10:12 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I think I've posted this before, but here ya go... There are codes molded into every tire that tell you exactly who made the tire, and where. You'd be amazed at what you find when you start checking.

DOT codes

Quick Reply: Power King tires