1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BG Trans Fluid VS Mercon SP

Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Probably not. The owner of the dealership is the highest authority there is. Ford does not own the dealership, they are all franchises. Ford tried to buy out dealers and make company owned stores, the Feds made Ford sell the dealerships they did buy.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Parts Jimmy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys keep in mind that all dealers do not operate in the manor the the OP's dealer did. We use the proper fluids at the dealership where I em employed at.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 AM
David N.
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Back when I was a Ford engineer I occasionally had to talk to dealer service departments. They NEVER took my advice.
Yep. It's been my experience that engineers, especially the ones who designed something, are the last people anyone wants to listen to. Where I work, engineers are assumed to be wrong until proven otherwise.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by David N.
Yep. It's been my experience that engineers, especially the ones who designed something, are the last people anyone wants to listen to. Where I work, engineers are assumed to be wrong until proven otherwise.
Until the technician cannot solve the issue, then the engineer is their best friend.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 PM
chromedom
Junior User
Somebody correct me or tell me if the trans places are blowing smoke. All the places that have a hot machine (I'm told). Have to use their bulk oil and put a magic additive that changes it to a synthetic. Asking if I supply the proper fluid can they use that to change it out? Their response was that it only hooked up to their bulk oil machine and they didn't know how to fill it with another oil.

I'm in the Detroit area and if anyone knows a place that can do the hot oil swap with the correct oil please let me know. The dealers around here seems to be going to this BG oil with the additive.

In the mean time did the fill and drain method and changed filters. By the way the dealer did not change either filters.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:07 PM
TomB985
Junior User
Originally Posted by chromedom
Somebody correct me or tell me if the trans places are blowing smoke. All the places that have a hot machine (I'm told). Have to use their bulk oil and put a magic additive that changes it to a synthetic.
Sounds like a line of crap to me. You can't magically convert conventional oil to a synthetic with an additive. I would stay the hell away from that place.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
If you cannot find a dealership, dropping the pan, changing the filter and topping off with the correct fluid yourself is better than using the wrong fluid. Not perfect, but better.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 PM
chromedom
Junior User
Originally Posted by redford
If you cannot find a dealership, dropping the pan, changing the filter and topping off with the correct fluid yourself is better than using the wrong fluid. Not perfect, but better.
Thanks everyone and the plan of action is do a 3x drain and fill (with Mercon LV) and change both external filters for future maintenance.

Installed a spin on filter instead of the Magnafine that they had on there so I won't have to drop the pan that often.

Thanks again,

Dave

Old 07-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Robert_Mays
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Probably not. The owner of the dealership is the highest authority there is. Ford does not own the dealership, they are all franchises. Ford tried to buy out dealers and make company owned stores, the Feds made Ford sell the dealerships they did buy.
You are correct, Ford does not own the dealerships. The dealers, however, must run their business under the guidelines Ford gives them to follow. Its a franchise and there are very strict guidelines you must follow to continue to be a franchise of Ford. They signed a contract with Ford when they opened the doors and I can promise you it said very clearly something to the effect of "represent Ford in the manor we find fit at the time". I own a franchise in the food business and they are VERY SERIOUS about you upholding the image of their company. I am willing to bet Ford expects them to sell only Ford fluids in the dealership if for no other reason (coming from experience in food service) Ford wants to sell it to them and make more money. I would be willing to bet the head honchos at Ford don't know said dealership is selling fluids without the Ford brand name on it.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
suprford
New User
Check out this site. http://prayertr.ipower.com/swbgaz/media/Bg$20Universal$20Synthetic$20ATF$20Application$20C hart$5B1$5D.pdf

Use factory oil is a line Ford feeds you. There are only a few companies in the world that make base stock oil. But there are many that re-box. I have been using BG products as a Technician for 18 years. I can't think of a time that it has not outperformed a factory fluid. It is a full synthetic, it is less expensive and the only reason it wasn't compatible with LV when you first posted was politics. The manufacturers have a grace period that allows them to not license other brands for use in there vehicles, BG fluid was compatible with the LV fluid when it came out, it is just that they were not allowed to say so as it was not licensed with Ford. They have however been licensed since. This is a far superior fluid to ford LV. So I would not worry about it. Has worked great in All the fords I have used it on, with such success that customers have actually said that they have noticed and improvement in shifting and fuel mileage. Plus they back it up with the lifetime protection plan. Pay more for less if you like, that is up to you. Ford wants you to buy there fluid, that’s obvious.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
What is LX oil? Never heard of it. When I try to go to the site you listed I get a not found error.

Ford does not say that you have to use their oil. Ford says that to maintain warranty coverage you must use either MERCON SP or MERCON LV fluid. They never say that you have to buy it from Ford.

You also made up that part about the grace period. That's pure fantasy.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I think I'll be using the correct fluid recommended in the owners manual.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:42 PM
chromedom
Junior User
Originally Posted by suprford
Check out this site. http://prayertr.ipower.com/swbgaz/media/Bg$20Universal$20Synthetic$20ATF$20Application$20C hart$5B1$5D.pdf

Use factory oil is a line Ford feeds you. There are only a few companies in the world that make base stock oil. But there are many that re-box. I have been using BG products as a Technician for 18 years. I can't think of a time that it has not outperformed a factory fluid. It is a full synthetic, it is less expensive and the only reason it wasn't compatible with LX when you first posted was politics. The manufacturers have a grace period that allows them to not license other brands for use in there vehicles, BG fluid was compatible with the LX fluid when it came out, it is just that they were not allowed to say so as it was not licensed with Ford. They have however been licensed since. This is a far superior fluid to ford LX. So I would not worry about it. Has worked great in All the fords I have used it on, with such success that customers have actually said that they have noticed and improvement in shifting and fuel mileage. Plus they back it up with the lifetime protection plan. Pay more for less if you like, that is up to you. Ford wants you to buy there fluid, that’s obvious.
I used it for a week or so before flushing it out. The place i work has a fairly steep hill at the entrance that I stop at waiting for traffic. Normally taking my foot off the accelerator and the brake it would hold there. Not with that stuff, it rolled backward. Than stepped on it and normally! squawk the tires in 1st and 2nd. Seemed like it was slipping. Replaced and flushed it with 32 quarts of LV and it's back to normal.
That is my experience, I'll stick with what works for me. The truck is too expensive to skimp on fluids.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by suprford

Use factory oil is a line Ford feeds you. There are only a few companies in the world that make base stock oil. But there are many that re-box. I have been using BG products as a Technician for 18 years. I can't think of a time that it has not outperformed a factory fluid. It is a full synthetic, it is less expensive and the only reason it wasn't compatible with LX when you first posted was politics. The manufacturers have a grace period that allows them to not license other brands for use in there vehicles, BG fluid was compatible with the LX fluid when it came out, it is just that they were not allowed to say so as it was not licensed with Ford. They have however been licensed since. This is a far superior fluid to ford LX. So I would not worry about it. Has worked great in All the fords I have used it on, with such success that customers have actually said that they have noticed and improvement in shifting and fuel mileage. Plus they back it up with the lifetime protection plan. Pay more for less if you like, that is up to you. Ford wants you to buy there fluid, that’s obvious.
I just got my second flush and fill with bg fluid. 32k on it using bg products and no issues. Plus I have lifetime protection where they will pay up to $2800 in repairs. What does ford cover in repairs when your out of warranty?? There are superior products available other than what ford sells, just need to do some research.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:44 AM
suprford
New User
"Ford does not say that you have to use their oil. Ford says that to maintain warranty coverage you must use either MERCON SP or MERCON LV fluid. They never say that you have to buy it from Ford.

You also made up that part about the grace period. That's pure fantasy."[/quote]

http://prayertr.ipower.com/swbgaz/media/Bg$20Universal$20Synthetic$20ATF$20Application$20C hart$5B1$5D.pdf

I just tried it again, this link works for me, or try: http://bglsi.com/312_GUIDE.pdf Or just google BG universal synthetic atf 312 application chart.

Sorry I meant LV Fluid, I edited my post to be the correct Letter. I only have experience. I am not a Lawyer, nor am I a politician. I have only heard of the "Grace Period" Through multiple different sources. It is similar to the release of information regarding repair information from the manufactures. The one that, as far as I understand, forces them to release information so as to not create a monopoly for dealers against independent shops. I have worked at dealerships before and have experience with the politics that the manufacturers are involved in.

However, if this is not the case of licensing, I stand corrected. It is just what I have been taught by many people my whole career. I certainly do not know everything, even after 20 years I am glad to still be learning every day. If I stop learning, I may as well quite.

As for the slipping back on hills, also have never had a complaint, but thanks for the information because as a technician it is important to here the odd situation out to become a better diagnostician. I will keep that in mind if I ever run into that situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BG Trans Fluid VS Mercon SP