Modular V10 (6.8l)  

no cat???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:55 AM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no cat???

who isnt running a cat on there truck and what kinda exhaust are u running, hows it sound? im going to be taking my cat out this week/weekend to get a little more sound out of it!!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:54 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The cat serves a purpose, to help reduce emissions. I suggest you keep it on there. If you decide to still remove it, you won't gain a performance, and your truck will be a little louder.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:01 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
OP is in CA, where he must smog his vehicle every two years. Why pull the cat and then have to put it back on?

--bad air in CA, LA in particular is one of the big reasons we have smog controls. The air here is better, not perfect, why foul it more?

--I have yet to be anywhere in LA where we need MORE $%^&*(ING NOISE!!! Keep your muffler and cat.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Originally Posted by mikeismadness
The cat serves a purpose, to help reduce emissions. I suggest you keep it on there. If you decide to still remove it, you won't gain a performance, and your truck will be a little louder.

yeah i know i wont gain performance im just looking to get my truck a bit louder the cheapest possible way. lol its wayyy too mellow for me.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:04 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
If u want a lot of noise, put a short glass pack, a cherry bomb extreme muffler, or a flow master 10 series. It'll be loud

Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
And I will be glad I dont live near you. I don't understand the whole being as loud as you can thing. Its more annoying than anything. Yes my truck has a flow master. It sounds good and is almost too loud for me...and I'm 20 years old!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Better not have a post cat O2 or you will have a CEL. Especially dumb removing it since you live in Cali and have to have it. Price an OE Ford replacement cat sometime.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 AM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
And I will be glad I dont live near you. I don't understand the whole being as loud as you can thing. Its more annoying than anything. Yes my truck has a flow master. It sounds good and is almost too loud for me...and I'm 20 years old!
Not trying to be as loud as i can i just want it louder. if i wanted to be as loud as i could i would take the cat muffler out add bigger pipe and get heads.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
My truck is loud enough with Hedman headers, and the biggest Magnaflow I could find, along with the stock cat.

I have been having some lose of power, so checking out my cat might in the future for me by removing it temporarily...

Here in Metro NY, my V10 doesn't even get smogged anymore. It's not OBD-II, and I guess the testing equipment for the idle sniffer test is too expensive for mechanics to own to test the few non-OBD-II >8500 GVWR trucks that exist.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 AM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Originally Posted by Krewat
My truck is loud enough with Hedman headers, and the biggest Magnaflow I could find, along with the stock cat.

I have been having some lose of power, so checking out my cat might in the future for me by removing it temporarily...

Here in Metro NY, my V10 doesn't even get smogged anymore. It's not OBD-II, and I guess the testing equipment for the idle sniffer test is too expensive for mechanics to own to test the few non-OBD-II >8500 GVWR trucks that exist.
I would do header but that's wayy to pricey for me right now! I still need smog but my exhaust guy is gonna make it to where it's easy to throw the cat back in. !

Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Krewat

I'm no hippy tree hugger but just cause ya don't get tested doesn't mean it shouldn't be there!!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:38 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I'm no hippy tree hugger but just cause ya don't get tested doesn't mean it shouldn't be there!!
That's not what I meant. I wouldn't run it like that for long.

It was just a casual mention that NY doesn't even sniffer test these trucks anymore.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
rc.chris
Junior User
My 08 f150, I had duals run from the cat back with no mufflers and it sounded great!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
I have no CAT on my 2000 Excursion with a Flowmaster Super44. All the rest of the pipe is stock. It is loud as hell from 2,500-3,000 RPM. I am very careful not to bring it up to even 2K RPM when I drive around town. When it is less than 2K it is pretty mellow, anything above 2K gets pretty loud. If I was to rev it up in town I'd get pulled over in a heartbeat. I'd say the noise at 2,500 is comparable to a Harley in terms of volume, it sounds way different though like a screaming daemon.

I am going change it out to headers and true dual exhaust with a Magnaflow True-X and two Magnapacks soon. The X pipe should improve the performance and quiet it down a bit, also the two mufflers should help. Honestly the chambered muffler sounded better to make noise when the CAT was there. Now that the CAT is gone I just want to dampen the sound a bit. The Maganapacks should be perfect for that.

If you want it loud removing the CAT will get you what you want.

Removing the CAT absolutely DOES improve the performance. It got me a mile or two per gallon on my old 460 and it does the same for the V10.

EDIT: one more thing, it smells awful

Old 06-25-2012, 10:52 PM
CraigOutdoors
Elder User
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy
EDIT: one more thing, it smells awful
That it does. I hate being stuck behind someone at a light who's removed their cat. I left mine on for that reason. I could get away with it being off no problem.

Mine has a cherry bomb on it I believe (it's a glass pack of some sort for sure) with dual exits after the glass pack, and it's got a real nice rumble without being too loud right up to 2k rpm, then it roars and man it sounds good.

I expect that if you get the noise you're looking for below 2k that cat will make it's way back on there after your third ride up the 405 or the 5 in all the traffic for a half hour or hour. Or after your first trip anywhere towing.

Quick Reply: no cat???