Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 AM
New User

geoasis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes...codes before....

....I changed the tfi indicated throttle body position and a hint at egr. After it cooled awhile ago it started fine and idled at 5500 like it was in Heaven. Could have taken it for a drive but let it sit to absorb the codes...died after seven minutes battling something. In the meantime, I had disconnected the battery for a couple of hours. Something faults at temp or else starves for fuel after awhile. I really don't want to replace the whole distributor only to be back where I am.
No one here has ever mentioned the fuel system. The pump(s) seem to prime fine as I have a 90 model with the 6 4.9L that sounds the same. (Wife destroyed transmission hauling a gigantic trailer 1500 miles). She hasn't touched this truck.
Frank
Old 06-21-2012, 02:42 AM
Posting Guru

Slip ford man has much to be proud ofSlip ford man has much to be proud ofSlip ford man has much to be proud ofSlip ford man has much to be proud ofSlip ford man has much to be proud ofSlip ford man has much to be proud ofSlip ford man has much to be proud ofSlip ford man has much to be proud ofSlip ford man has much to be proud ofSlip ford man has much to be proud of
The TFI and the PIP should both be replaced at the same time, according to the recommendations. PIP can be problematic when it heats up, then fine after cooling down. I had a stretch where I replaced three whole distributors in a week due to a bad PIP's...idle at 5500...PIP failure will leave a code, you should take a look, also a bad computer is a possibility.
1988 F-250 HD XLT 4x 460 engine C6
1992 F-150 XLT 4x 302 engine AODHey OP, be sure to up-date this thread when a cure is found, HELP the next guy out that's in the same boat as you.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM
New User

geoasis is starting off with a positive reputation.
oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoasis View Post
....I changed the tfi indicated throttle body position and a hint at egr. After it cooled awhile ago it started fine and idled at 5500 like it was in Heaven. Could have taken it for a drive but let it sit to absorb the codes...died after seven minutes battling something. In the meantime, I had disconnected the battery for a couple of hours. Something faults at temp or else starves for fuel after awhile. I really don't want to replace the whole distributor only to be back where I am.
No one here has ever mentioned the fuel system. The pump(s) seem to prime fine as I have a 90 model with the 6 4.9L that sounds the same. (Wife destroyed transmission hauling a gigantic trailer 1500 miles). She hasn't touched this truck.
Frank
This should have said idled at 550....not 5500....ouch!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 PM
New User

Ticked is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 1989 F150 4.9. I just got the truck. When driving it the truck runs good some times drives smooth then the check engine light will come on and the truck will begin to cut out, dog out and even want to die. The check engine light goes off and the truck will run ok agin. On start up some times it will start right up other times It will just be wanting to die on it self and the Idle is all over the place. I can't remeber the codes it pulled but it pulled up about 5 of Em. Thing I have done so far replace the MAP censer Mad sure there was a good ground I unpluged the TPC seemed to Idle better. But it runs like this at Idle rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddrrrrrrrrrrrdd. I replaced the spark plugs cap and bug and still doing it. I am almost leaning tords it being the PCM. Any Ideas.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
18, 50, 89, 89f150, code, coil, cut, cuts, cyl, f150, ford, powers, problems, stop, truck, warm