Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:01 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hitch Receiver and Pin Lock?

Question for the tow expert.

I understand the 2001-2005 Excrusion has the class V hitch receiver. I
also understand that when tow heavy, I will need to get the WD hitch, I will research on that and understand more..

1. What's the difference between class IV and class V?
2. I have an 2004 Excursion, so I have a class V hitch receiver; just bought a lock pin and it read class I-IV (Reese Elite parts No. 70390). Does this pin adequate to use?
3. Read/heard that the height of the ball on the hitch should be about 19" measure from the ground to the top of the ball, can you tell mere about this?

Thanks

Old 06-17-2012, 04:26 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most X's come with Class IV hitches which is up to 10k towing with 1k tongue weight. I don't have time to go into detail right now, but see if these links help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...excursion.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...gestion-2.html

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...e_Explorer.pdf

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...wing-info.html

Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by VQT
Question for the tow expert.

I understand the 2001-2005 Excrusion has the class V hitch receiver. I
also understand that when tow heavy, I will need to get the WD hitch, I will research on that and understand more..

1. What's the difference between class IV and class V?
2. I have an 2004 Excursion, so I have a class V hitch receiver; just bought a lock pin and it read class I-IV (Reese Elite parts No. 70390). Does this pin adequate to use?
As TrdLtly mentioned, I don't think Excursions came with a class V hitch. In fact, after looking to find a hitch receiver to add to my Ex, I am wondering if any class V hitches actually exist since all the references I could find to them were in threads like the last one posted below. I was initially confused at first too because the decal on the hitch frame says V-5 on it, but from what I have found online that designation simply identifies that it was rated according to the Trailer Hitch Manufacturers Association.

U-Haul: Towing glossary

What does hitch ratings V-5 mean

Class V-5 Hitch - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Old 06-18-2012, 12:30 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
The height of the ball will be set during installation of the Weight distributing hitch. That height is dependant upont measurements taken of the trailer tongue height when level, the height of the truck, and other various adjustments.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Here are the common classes: I, II, III, IV that are defined by the SAE.

Class I —up to 2,000 pounds (910 kg) — light loads
Class II —up to 3,500 pounds (1,600 kg) — light loads
Class III —up to 5,000 pounds (2,300 kg) — larger loads (campers, boats, etc.)
Class IV —up to 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg) — larger loads (campers, boats, etc.)

Some manufacturers (Ford included) market Class V hitches, but there is no such thing according to SAE J684.

However...Ford rates the receiver on the later Ex's (i.e. after ~2002 and those with 18mm mounting bolts versus 14mm mounting bolts) as having a rating of 12,500 pounds...since a Class IV above states "up to" 10,000 pounds...I suspect the mfg's created their own terminology since they are greater than the Class IV rating...just a theory...

The earlier Ex's would fit under the Class IV SAE categorization since they are rated at 10,000 pounds max and 1,000 tongue weight WITH a WD hitch.

The later Ex's that have a rating of 12,500 pounds and 1,250 tongue WITH a WD hitch exceed all conventional Class ratings...hence the Class V rating.

As far as finding an aftermarket replacement for the Ex...good luck...they don't exist...at least they haven't thus far...you will need to go to a custom shop out in California but they have to install it...

Or you can go with a Reunel rear bumper that incorporates a crazy capable hitch...with like 20,000 pounds tow rating and 6,000 pounds tongue rating!!!

Reunel Extreme Heavy Duty Bumpers

Good luck!
Joe.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
However...Ford rates the receiver on the later Ex's (i.e. after ~2002 and those with 18mm mounting bolts versus 14mm mounting bolts) as having a rating of 12,500 pounds...since a Class IV above states "up to" 10,000 pounds...I suspect the mfg's created their own terminology since they are greater than the Class IV rating...just a theory...

The earlier Ex's would fit under the Class IV SAE categorization since they are rated at 10,000 pounds max and 1,000 tongue weight WITH a WD hitch.

The later Ex's that have a rating of 12,500 pounds and 1,250 tongue WITH a WD hitch exceed all conventional Class ratings...hence the Class V rating.

As far as finding an aftermarket replacement for the Ex...good luck...they don't exist...at least they haven't thus far...you will need to go to a custom shop out in California but they have to install it...

Or you can go with a Reunel rear bumper that incorporates a crazy capable hitch...with like 20,000 pounds tow rating and 6,000 pounds tongue rating!!!

Reunel Extreme Heavy Duty Bumpers

Good luck!
Joe.
Good input Joe

Keep in mind that hitch and/or bumper capability does not constitute the capability of the vehicle. According to Ford "Towing Guides" and Owners Manuals available here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11898840 The maximum towing capability of all X's according to Ford's own documentation is only 11,000 and there are variables that play into that.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User

I found a used one at a local yard instead.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by AndrewWV
I found a used one at a local yard instead.
I assume you mean a used Excursion receiver?...

When you install it...make sure you use the 18mm hardware to bolt it up...

If the receiver you purchased has 14mm holes...ream them out prior to installation since you will be working in very tight quarters with the gas tank right there...

Good luck!

Joe.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
While we are on the subject. I had to get a new drop hitch and ball for my car trailer before my trip to WV. It is very hard to find any hitches over the 7500# load limit with 750# tongue limit. I did see a (I think) 11,000# hitch with a 1500# tongue limit but with a much bigger ball hole. It is a solid chunk hitch instead of a welded tube.

But the main problem I have: My car trailer has a 2" ball coupler but it is the beefy hoarse trailer type with the split coupler and sleeve that sliders over to lock. I believe the coupler is rated for 9K#. The root of my problem is finding a 2" ball rated for more than 7000#. It is impossible, maybe there isn't even a 2" ball rated for more than 7K#?

The trailer weighs 1900# and is rated for a 7500# load which I do use all of at times. For well over 15 years now I have been using the 7K# stainless ***** without ever an issue of bending or strange things. But I would love to find a 2" ball rated for the load just for peace of mind. Is there such a thing as a 2" ball rated for around 9K#?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:47 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Snow,

Check this link out...

Reese Titan Hitches and Ball Mounts. Heavy Duty Trailer Hitch Accessories.

It shows an 8K 2" ball with 1.5" shank...

Closer...but still not 9K...

I didn't do a lot of searching...

Joe.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:52 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
I assume you mean a used Excursion receiver?...

When you install it...make sure you use the 18mm hardware to bolt it up...

If the receiver you purchased has 14mm holes...ream them out prior to installation since you will be working in very tight quarters with the gas tank right there...

Good luck!

Joe.
Absolutely correct. It still has the old 10000lb. decal on it, but I plan on getting the 18mm bolts when I get around to it. (Unfortunately it is still riding in the trunk of my car waiting until I get some other projects out of the way. I'm starting to think I might have to just take it somewhere and have it installed for me.)

Old 06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Thanks for all the replies,

Now I understand a little more about hitch classes I-IV. And the decal on the back of the 04 EX isn't a class V hitch. I just bought a hitch ball rate at 10,000# (W&B that fold in when not use) and a hitch pin rate as class IV also 10,000#.

I saw that there are a few people here tow more than 10,000#, what hitch ball did you buy and what pin is adequate for your tow application?

I might not even ever tow anything that heavy, just want to be educate on these thing to be safe when towing.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by VQT
Thanks for all the replies,

Now I understand a little more about hitch classes I-IV. And the decal on the back of the 04 EX isn't a class V hitch. I just bought a hitch ball rate at 10,000# (W&B that fold in when not use) and a hitch pin rate as class IV also 10,000#.

I saw that there are a few people here tow more than 10,000#, what hitch ball did you buy and what pin is adequate for your tow application?

I might not even ever tow anything that heavy, just want to be educate on these thing to be safe when towing.
I regularly tow +11k#s and use a regular WD hitch with 1400# spring bars. Getting it setup takes a little time, but you only need to do it once.

As far as the hitch pin, get the best you can find. The rating isn't as a big of a deal as you'd think with a WD hitch. The hitch will put the receiver in a bind, so you won't have a huge sheer load on the pin.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Thank you William and everyone