6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What was in my diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Bull40
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
Yes.... did you get the WIF light ???
No WIF light. Drain every month or two. Only has 18K since purchase November of 10. I'll install the new filters tonight that have been in the truck for several months, also I got some PM22 to add also.

I did do a second drain yesterday after making the block and had a very small amount of water without the "gold" color this time.

Got to get her ready for about twelve hours of RV towing starting Thursday.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Bull40
No WIF light. Drain every month or two. Only has 18K since purchase November of 10. I'll install the new filters tonight that have been in the truck for several months, also I got some PM22 to add also.

I did do a second drain yesterday after making the block and had a very small amount of water without the "gold" color this time.

Got to get her ready for about twelve hours of RV towing starting Thursday.
I would drain every hundred miles or so until you stop getting water....

Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
There's no good way to tell where or how this water got into the system, but there's a good chance that this is simply the fuel/water separator doing it's job. Remember that this is exactly what's supposed to happen if there's a small amount of water in the fuel. The water will settle out in the DFCM and get drained out, just like happened here.

While I would be a bit nervous in your shoes this isn't necessarily a catastrophic thing.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
There's no good way to tell where or how this water got into the system, but there's a good chance that this is simply the fuel/water separator doing it's job. Remember that this is exactly what's supposed to happen if there's a small amount of water in the fuel. The water will settle out in the DFCM and get drained out, just like happened here.

While I would be a bit nervous in your shoes this isn't necessarily a catastrophic thing.

Keep in mind he said previously he runs Bio-diesel sometimes and water doesn't fall out of bio like it does #2 diesel. Some of the water will stay suspended in the Bio-diesel and go right to the HPFP and injectors. That's the biggest problem with Bio-diesel, not being able to efficiently separate out the water in the fuel.

Just my .02

With that much water in the separator and some Bio-fuel in the tank, it's safe to say there has been water ran through the HPFP. Not saying that it's doomed or anything of the sort, just that there's not a good chance of any fuel system problems being covered under warranty. Almost guaranteed there's rust (to some degree) in the fuel system now and that seems to be a guaranteed 'no warranty' based on previous threads with similar problems.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gsxr1300
I wouldnt think thats enough water to get a water in fuel light

Really?

I thought it would have .

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribing. Never seen this much foreign liquid, not to mention, the few droplets I do get occasionally, are clear. Let it sit still for a few days and see if further separation occur.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the water separation in Bio-diesel this has got to be somewhat worrisome for folks who can't get or hard to find #2 diesel like in Utah. But since Ford slaps the bio badge on these new 6.7's I guess you just have to drain/replace filters more often . Since learning of the HPFP debacle I'm very conscientious on where I fuel up.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by desertnomad
Regarding the water separation in Bio-diesel this has got to be somewhat worrisome for folks who can't get or hard to find #2 diesel like in Utah. But since Ford slaps the bio badge on these new 6.7's I guess you just have to drain/replace filters more often . Since learning of the HPFP debacle I'm very conscientious on where I fuel up.
I think it certainly one of the things this brings up. A strict maintance plan regardless of what the truck tells you.

I still think I would drop the tank like I said earlier.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
My fuel/water separator gets drained nearly every tank. On my recent 2k+ mile round trip I drained at home and my destination. That equated to a tank and a half between drains.

I will say that on my way home I filled up in the rain and had water getting in to the fuel opening (downpour and I had the rain on the roof blowing over to the side dribbling right over top the spout). There wasn't a whole lot I could do and it was 10:00 and 14 hours in to my trip, I just wanted to get home and wasn't going to wait for hours for the rain to pass so I could fill up dry. That having been said, my separator will be getting drained a few times this tank.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
My fuel/water separator gets drained nearly every tank. On my recent 2k+ mile round trip I drained at home and my destination. That equated to a tank and a half between drains.

I will say that on my way home I filled up in the rain and had water getting in to the fuel opening (downpour and I had the rain on the roof blowing over to the side dribbling right over top the spout). There wasn't a whole lot I could do and it was 10:00 and 14 hours in to my trip, I just wanted to get home and wasn't going to wait for hours for the rain to pass so I could fill up dry. That having been said, my separator will be getting drained a few times this tank.
I'm guessing the diesel pump was at the end of the canopy? I had that happen before. I'll park on the inside of the pump and stretch that hose as far as it will go to keep me dry.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Fleet Fuel Testing - List of Fuel Tests

$10 a test. Wonder if it would helped you Ric.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by porthole
Fleet Fuel Testing - List of Fuel Tests

$10 a test. Wonder if it would helped you Ric.
Only Divine Intervention would have helped my case. There was so much evidence presented showing the lack of water in my fuel that any one with a modicum of intelligence would have warrantied the repair...

As to the amount of water tripping the WIF indicator on the OP's truck...not nearly enough. It takes just under 8 ounces of water to light the light. He would need a bunch more than he has shown us.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that there does not need to be internal rust in the HPFP to get a warranty denial. My truck had no rust in any area that fuel flows. All Ford needs is a mating surface where the sensor meets the pump to be discolored and bye bye warranty. This area sees no fuel flow. BTDT

Regards

Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
8 oz? !?!

Not meaning to start a fire, but doesn't that seem like a lot?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Originally Posted by desertnomad
Regarding the water separation in Bio-diesel this has got to be somewhat worrisome for folks who can't get or hard to find #2 diesel like in Utah.
Not sure I understand what Utah has to do with that. I have a hard time finding anything but #2 diesel. It is rare to find any biodiesel around here. We are not the corn belt. Any bio has to be shipped in. Utah has a bunch of refineries and our crude oil is high in Parafins waxs.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:25 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by parkland
8 oz? !?!

Not meaning to start a fire, but doesn't that seem like a lot?
Starting a fire with whom???? certainly not with me...maybe you mean Ford

I have all the parts from my HPFP repair. Included in this pile of Ford junk is the OE water separator. I filled the separator using a graduated cylinder until the water reached the switch. It took 7.8 ounces to fill the bowl to the switch...

just reporting what I measured...

Regards

Quick Reply: What was in my diesel