AC Help needed DESPERATELY!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:08 AM
XbigXredX
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AC Help needed DESPERATELY!

Hi all you guys,

I have a 2002 Ford Excursion, V10 Limited, AC Front and Rear.
Recently she started blowing hot air, (yuck).
Brought her in to Midas, they charged the system as it was empty, they added dye, and you could see her leak off the dye just before the rear fender well.

I ordered the hose that was leaking. I received a hose which is basically half the hose I have. According to the parts diagram my 2002 is supposed to have a joined two piece hose going front to rear. What I have is a 1 piece hose that runs from under the hood to the very rear of the truck. It appears that they have either "upgraded" to the new two hose system or whatever but I am being told that the only way this can be fixed is by replacing all the hoses. By all the hoses they are saying there are now two rear half hoses and 1 front half hose that has the coupling together and two hoses, for a combination of what appears to be 3 hoses in the ford diagrams. No one could confirm whether the front hose is actually 1 piece with two half hoses or two pieces with half hoses. They said Monday someone would be able to help me better. In any case these hoses combined are about $800 or so which seems insane to me.

When I came home tonight I did as much research as I could, I am now bleary eyed and thought if I posted here someone would know more than me and help me out. What I have found is that there seems to be 4 houses, They are as follows-

YF3528 AC refrigeration suction under body rear half
YF3037 AC refrigeration suction under body front half
YF3038 AC refrigeration liquid hose condenser to evaporator under body front
YF3521 AC refrigeration liquid hose condenser to evaporator under body rear

Now it would seem to me that if there are four hoses each in two halves then all we need to do to fix it is get two of the four. Ford is insisting there are three pieces with the front being combined into one assembly and the rears being 2 separate pieces.

So that is my first dilemma, does anyone know if this is a three hose / assembly or if there are really four?

Next-

I have heard that some people have "capped off" the rear AC and used only the front AC system. I would not be totally against the idea if I could figure out how this is done. I looked up my truck without the rear AC as if it had none from the factory, and if it was no rear AC it appears there would be only two hoses, and they are-

YF3093 AC refrigerant hose no auxiliary air
YF3194 HVAC heater hose condenser to evaporator no auxiliary air

Does that mean that all I need do is buy those two hoses and replace them in the system as if there was just no rear ac?? Or am I missing something and something else must be done as well?

Thanks to all who have read this, and much thanks to anyone that has any answers.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:42 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine had a leak in one of the lines going to the rear A/C due to it rubbing on the left rear corner of the engine. I used a compresion fitting kit specifically for A/C lines. Make a clean cut to remove the damaged section, add the fitting, vacuum test the system and recharge.

Here's an example of what I used - but take a piece of the cut out section with you to the store to ensure you get the right diameter repair kit.

Search: a/c line repair | Line Splice | AutoZone.com

Old 06-17-2012, 08:54 PM
XbigXredX
Tuned
Hey tdappleman,

Thanks so much for that info. If you don't mind my asking how long ago was it that you used that? Did it hold up? Is it still holding up? Do you need to keep recharging annually?

Thanks so much for the help.

Also, since my initial post I found a cap off kit, you can see it here, posting also in case anyone else in the future might need it-

StreetRodGuys - Rear Air Conditioning Block Kits - 1998 - 2005 Ford Excursion / Expedition / Navigator Rear A/C Blo

Then on the same page they say they even make hoses for patching, and they have a list, also posting that here for comments and in case anyone else can benefit in the future-

StreetRodGuys - Rear Air Conditioning Block Kits - Rear A/C Line Repair Kits

So any other comments and or info is also appreciated on this.

Thanks again guys!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:42 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I did mine almost a year ago. I held the vacuum prior to charging it with R134a to make sure I had no leaks. No recharge should be necessary since it is a closed system unless you have a leak. Consider this a permanent repair if done correctly.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 PM
XbigXredX
Tuned
Only reason I asked is because at least one of the shops claimed that those fixes leak and year to year they need to be recharged and yadda yadda yadda, you know how it is when they don't want to do something. So I figure if you did it you would know. So great good to know, I thank you for the help and information.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Dereck
Junior User
Thumbs up

Hi XbigXredX

I know this thread is a little older but I came here looking for the same information and can now tell you after doing the job if you are replacing the original rear A/C pipework you will need four pipes, two suction and two liquid, you will also need the seals and garter springs for the rear air connections.

It's not too bad a job to do but I am not sure if I would want to tackle it lying on my back.

The pipes will come out whole, you need to remove the front wheel and remove the fender liner, also remove the EVAP purge solenoid from the top of the evaporater case, disconnect the peanut connectors at front and the springlock fittings at the rear, then unbolt the five clamps holding the pipes to the body, unclip the pipes from the clamps, there are a couple of zip ties to cut and a clip holding the two pipes together at the front, now it just a case of wiggling them out.

One other thing the genuine Motorcraft pipes I bought from Ford came with a sticker on them that said "Made In China"

Regards

Dereck