1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Carb dump, gas everywhere - ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM
1948fordcollector
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope you get it all right soon!

Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had to check eBay, one never knows what little gem might turn up.

Here's a peach. Includes vintage gasoline.

IN LINE FUEL FILTER MANY USES | eBay

Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
To catch everyone up - my carb mounting bolts worked themselves loose, throwing the carb off kilter, and probably jamming the float - resulting in a big gas leak. That issue was fixed yesterday. This thread has evolved into the best place to put a filter, as the factory configuration has it poised directly above the exhaust manifold, a situation which has caused in-filter fuel boiling for some members.

At this juncture, we're redesigning the system, trying to reach a consensus as to the optimum location for the fuel filter on an inline 6-300.

All opinions are most welcome!
I believe you are wrong on your diagnosis, I don't think the bolts being loose caused the float to jamb, I believe it was dirt, which is why we are discussing different filtering ideas. Someone jump in if they think I am off-base on the root cause of his problem. I don't like the little bits he described that he sucked out of the bottom of the carb.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
All opinions are most welcome!
I hope you mean that...because I think I am going to be the token annoying guy in this thread.

Again...maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone talking about fuel boiling with the filter threaded into the carburetor. Someone mentioned having that issue with a filter located where yours is, which makes sense...it's pretty close to the engine. But as high as the carb sits I can't see a filter up there getting that hot, and if it was a problem I suspect Ford would have relocated it over the many years that they did it that way.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I believe you are wrong on your diagnosis, I don't think the bolts being loose caused the float to jamb, I believe it was dirt, which is why we are discussing different filtering ideas. Someone jump in if they think I am off-base on the root cause of his problem. I don't like the little bits he described that he sucked out of the bottom of the carb.
I don't know about that...before I put my second filter on, I was able to scoop rust powder out of my carburetor bowl with a spoon; you can see it pretty well in this photo from my rebuild:

If my truck can run reasonably well with that, I would be very surprised if the small amount of debris WilleyJoe found could take down his entire truck. I'm not saying it can't happen, mind you...just that I'd be surprised.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I concur, the issue was most likely from those little black specks he found in the bottom of the carb bowl. The loose carb mounting bolts, was an entirely different issue.....

Originally Posted by Dorsai
I hope you mean that...because I think I am going to be the token annoying guy in this thread.

Again...maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone talking about fuel boiling with the filter threaded into the carburetor. Someone mentioned having that issue with a filter located where yours is, which makes sense...it's pretty close to the engine. But as high as the carb sits I can't see a filter up there getting that hot, and if it was a problem I suspect Ford would have relocated it over the many years that they did it that way.
Again, I concur. The filter threaded into the carb is somewhat shielded from the heat of the exhaust manifold, by the intake. If the filter could have the boiling fuel issue, so could the carb. Unlikely, but possible.....

The filter position shown in the latest pics, is right over an opening in the intake, and that happens to be there to allow for the exhaust manifold to mate up with the head. Much more chance for the heat to do what it naturally want to do, rise up. This means the heat will be focused on anything directly over it, and can result in the filter having fuel boil inside it.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to add a screw-in filter at the carb, because I'd rather spend a few bucks than deal with that leak again anytime soon.

The black specks shown in that cup photo were like fine silt, smaller than grains of sand; it took me six photos to get that shot, and they disappeared when I swirled the gas around in there. It may well be crap from the new fuel pump and rubber fuel lines I installed earlier this year.

Of interest - the Fuel Filter page from the 1981 Shop Manual.

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
It doesn't take much at all to cause the needle/seat to leak, big time. Rust silt doesn't seem to do it because I, too, could scoop some out of my carb before I went to two filters, but I didn't have any flooding. However, rust silt will plug a 2150's accelerator pump discharge nozzles - for sure.

Anyway, grains of "stuff" aren't good and if they get stuck in the softish material of the needle will cause big problems.