6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Transmission Fluid-To Change or Nawt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM
RPM371
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same boat. Not sure when the TF was changed last and I'm over 150K. Good news is the fluid looks OK, but I'd like to know how many miles it has on it. My local Ford dealer charges $235 and has a hot flush machine.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by draboo
Is this "hot flush" machine something special that Ford dealers do, or are you referring to the basic transfer machine that oil change places have that hook up to the lines on the transmission cooler?

I called the local Ford garage, and they quoted me $325 including filters. I mentioned the term "hot flush" and got silence for 5 seconds then he repeated what he just said, so he had no clue about it. If this is the same "flush" that other transmission shops/oil change shops offer for around half that price, then I'll head to Pennzoil to have it changed and save around 50%, I m guessing.
I can't swear to it... but I bet that the local "jiffy Tranny lube place does NOT use the proper fluid for your 6.0L truck!!!!

The torqueshift tranny only uses Mercon SP or Mercon LV fluid... both of which are pricey and the ONLY fluids that are recommended for our tranny's. I am pretty sure that the local Jiffy Tranny Lube Shop does NOT stock either... and if they did buy the right fluid, the price will be higher than what they have originally quoted you.

Other fluids are not compatible nor acceptable.

Owner beware....

Old 06-18-2012, 11:47 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hot Flush....Learn something new everyday

When i went to service my Tranny the filter in the pan only has a wire-mesh screen (no filter media) so i decided not to break seal on pan & just have the dealer flush it. They didnt have a "heated" machine, at least i didnt see a switch for "heat".
They did however bring it right in after i got there & they had the engine running while flush was performed. So i guess the thermostat was opened & yes i did change the toilet paper filter

Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 06_KingRanch
When i went to service my Tranny the filter in the pan only has a wire-mesh screen (no filter media)
Where did you get a wire mesh screen for your TorqShift? Did you make it yourself? The factory installed a filter with filter media. I'm curious why you have a wire mesh screen in yours. Note that the factory internal filter doesn't need to be changed for the life of the transmission.

Originally Posted by 06_KingRanch
They did however bring it right in after i got there & they had the engine running while flush was performed. So i guess the thermostat was opened & yes i did change the toilet paper filter
Now here's a difference between you and me. I would assume the thermostat would be CLOSED after driving around a while, unless you were towing a heavy trailer at low speeds as you drove it into the stall for service. Then as the machine exchanged the warm fluid from the trans for the room temperature fluid in the machine, there is no chance that the thermostat would be open. But that's just my understanding of how this trans works....

Old 06-19-2012, 06:08 AM
strokin83
Senior User
Just my .02. If it's even worth that much. What I do is drain the pan every 10,000 or every other oil change. And it always drains out bright red. It's not highly expensive about $40 in fluid from O'reillys. I was pretty ticked in the beginning when I would take it to the dealer every 30,000 for a "flush" only to find out they were just draining my pan of the 8qts and charging me $150. So it might have suffered some premature wear in the beginning. But from about 90,000 miles on I did the pan drain every 10k and didn't rebuild the tranny until 275k. Which I was pretty happy with since most of my miles are towing 5-8k lbs while running the ASE tune from spartan. Not saying what I do is the way to go just sharing my experience. If I were you I would get one good flush done before you do the pan drain every 10k or 15k that way you get all the old stuff out.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Where did you get a wire mesh screen for your TorqShift? Did you make it yourself? The factory installed a filter with filter media. I'm curious why you have a wire mesh screen in yours. Note that the factory internal filter doesn't need to be changed for the life of the transmission.

Now here's a difference between you and me. I would assume the thermostat would be CLOSED after driving around a while, unless you were towing a heavy trailer at low speeds as you drove it into the stall for service. Then as the machine exchanged the warm fluid from the trans for the room temperature fluid in the machine, there is no chance that the thermostat would be open. But that's just my understanding of how this trans works....
The dealer told me it only has a screen & doesnt need to be changed so i took his word for it.
I was only assuming if the Trans was warm due to driving that the thermostat would be open, like a coolant thermostat
Iam by no means a Trans rebuilder so i dont know much about them.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I'm not a trans rebuilder, either.

The internal filter is a filter, not a screen. It is designed to last the life of the transmission. The dealer is unfortunately clueless.

When the trans is warmed up the thermostat will cycle open and closed, just like an engine thermostat. Unless the truck is working hard both thermostats cycle, they don't stay open.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made me laugh...

Tranny design guy says...

But that's just my understanding of how this trans works....
Now that's funny!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:09 PM
dantheman0083
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission hot flush then (DIY) filters

Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
i second the info that mark put out. to elaborate, the torque converter didnt come with a drain plug like most TCs do.

to check, u could drain a little, and check the color of the tranny fluid. they're supposed to be bright cherry fruit punch kind of red. if they're kinda dark, tat means the fluid is starting to burn, and if it's darker kind of red, u can smell the burn smell from it.

u could drain, then drop the pan, clean it up underneath, change the internal filter if u want (ford # ft-144) and rebolt the pan after it's all clean. torque those 20 bolts (i think) to 10 ft/lbs. (again, i think tats right)

the drain plug should be torqued to 18 ft/lbs.

now for the external tranny filter. it's best to use an impact wrench. so much easier! couple of hits, and she's loosened. remove, empty, clean, install new filter. put in a few ounces of fresh tranny fluid into the cup, let the "toilet roll" filter (ford # ft-145) soak tat fresh fluid up, then hand-screw it back on until u cant hand-tighten it any more. then hit it with the impact wrench for a couple of hits, and ur done with BOTH filters.

for the external filter, the filter bowl needs a 22mm socket.

refill tranny fluid thru the tranny refill spot, and ur good.

if u drain from plug, then ur gonna need about 7 to 8 quarts of tranny fluid. if u drop the pan, ur gonna need between 8 to 9 quarts.

if i forget anything....... guys, please chime in any time. lol.

I have a 06 6.0 I have done some research. I want to get the hot flush with Mercon SP. Am I correct in saying get the hot flush then replace the in line filter. I live a few miles from my local ford dealer they say 275.00 out the door for just flush and new fluid. I can drive it home replace in line filter (toilet paper),then drain pan into a clean bucket remove pan cover replace pan filter, then use the new fluid I drained into clean bucket to add back into tranny dip stick hole. I could idle for a few in neutral with e-brake engaged. Then check and add fluid back to optimal level. I can't find anything about replacement of filters after hot flush. Thus is what should be posted if I am correct in these methods. Please let me know. Sullivanceilings@gmail.com thanks

Old 02-11-2016, 01:35 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When I had my 6.0 I just drained and refilled 8 quarts every 10,000 miles and on the 3rd changed the external filter. The external filter takes an additional 8 oz.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:05 PM
strokin83
Senior User
Yea I've heard a lot of stories of people paying for a flush and getting a 8 quart pan drain instead which you could do yourself for $50 or so. If you really want a flush and they let you stand back in the shop and breathe down their neck to verify it was done I'd go for it.

In the last 8 years I've owned 4 F-250 diesels, and put over half a million miles on em. Most of which was put on the 6.0. I put 340k on it. On that truck Id drain and refill the pan every 10-15,000 miles and it served me well. On the three 6.7s I've owned I tend to do it every 30-50,000 since I trade them in at 100k these days. Sometimes I change it sooner if there was a lot of hard use. Good luck with whatever you choose. The Torqueshift transmissions are stupid tough and hold up pretty good to abuse but a little pampering never hurt anything.

Originally Posted by dantheman0083
I have a 06 6.0 I have done some research. I want to get the hot flush with Mercon SP. Am I correct in saying get the hot flush then replace the in line filter. I live a few miles from my local ford dealer they say 275.00 out the door for just flush and new fluid. I can drive it home replace in line filter (toilet paper),then drain pan into a clean bucket remove pan cover replace pan filter, then use the new fluid I drained into clean bucket to add back into tranny dip stick hole. I could idle for a few in neutral with e-brake engaged. Then check and add fluid back to optimal level. I can't find anything about replacement of filters after hot flush. Thus is what should be posted if I am correct in these methods. Please let me know. Sullivanceilings@gmail.com thanks

Old 02-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I agree to flush and then replace the inline filter. There is no reason to replace the internal filter, if it has enough junk in it to need replacement it's because the trans has failed.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:29 PM
AL`
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree to flush and then replace the inline filter. There is no reason to replace the internal filter, if it has enough junk in it to need replacement it's because the trans has failed.
If doing a hot flush, how long should one pause in each gear while cycling through them?

Old 02-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Five seconds is plenty of time.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:19 PM
AL`
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Five seconds is plenty of time.
Thanks Mark.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid-To Change or Nawt?