General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Is it normal to have a different job every 2, 3, 4, etc years?.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it normal to have a different job every 2, 3, 4, etc years?.....

I was just wonderin if it's normal for the majority of the workforce to have a new job every few years. It's rare that i meet anyone that has been at the same job or company for more than 3 or 4 years. Personally, my job lengths were 4yrs, 4yrs, 6 mos, and currently going on six years.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:03 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
More and more, people change jobs more frequently than in the past.

"Get a job, get a better job, repeat as necessary."

Nothing wrong with changing jobs, and some jobs require it. Programming jobs, some sales jobs, many jobs associated with projects like building a bridge or building.

Are you making progress in your field?

"Job hopping" is not so good, but what does that mean?

Article on the same:

Job-Hopping: Career Killer or Savior? - Excelle

Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
here in jersey we call people like that "job shoppers".
if i have a position open get someone looking for work that is a job shopper, i will pass no matter what their qualifications. they will only leave when they get bored or get a different offer.

i was self employed for many years, and still own my company.
i was with one contractor for 14 years before they went out of business, the second was 16 years when they went out, and mow i am 2 years with the new company. i do not plan on looking for another job. the current guy is young enough that i will retire before he goes out if things stay good.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:01 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Who knows anymore. I guess some of it depends on the line of work you are in.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:09 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
Who knows anymore. I guess some of it depends on the line of work you are in.
And your reasons for changing. As per the prior post, employers are going to look at your history and question why you changed. Why would they hire someone they know is going to leave after a short time?

Getting bored and better offers are good reasons for leaving, but if you get bored easily and are always looking for a better offer, that will soon turn on you in the workplace market.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:32 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,063 Likes on 4,163 Posts
With the economy today more and more you will see shorter term employment. I believe the days of a "lifetime" job are over. With my career choice...sales...turnover is a given. Some of the folks here buck that trend...at 15 years I'm a relative newbie. We have sales people who have been here for up to 37 years...unusual in this industry.

I'm looking forward to retiring from this job...an as few as 4 years!!!

Old 06-16-2012, 04:32 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
At 3 yrs 8 months this is the longest I've ever stayed with a employer.
I did work for this company back in '84.
I've changed jobs mostly when I've reached a position of being at the top of the measuring system used by the company/industry.
I learn most of what there is to know then move on to something else.
Now I'm comfortable doing what I do.
I'll probably take a job as a chauffeur when I leave this one.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Lifetime jobs with one employer are something only our fathers had.

Simply STAYING employed is today's reality.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:20 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been at my current job for 18 years,but who knows what the future holds? Would like to think I will retire from there in another 20,but it's hard to tell what will happen in a world where everything is for sale if the price is right.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:32 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
I hear ya'll. I'm not referring to the obvious job-hoppers. I consider those to be the 2yr or less job holders. I'm just curious if everyone else is noticing what I'm noticing, being in the workforce the last 18 yrs. I see most hanging on to jobs for an average of 4 yrs and moving on.

"With the economy today more and more you will see shorter term employment. I believe the days of a "lifetime" job are over. With my career choice...sales...turnover is a given. Some of the folks here buck that trend...at 15 years I'm a relative newbie. We have sales people who have been here for up to 37 years...unusual in this industry.

I'm looking forward to retiring from this job...an as few as 4 years!!!..."

That's what I'm seeing too. Lifetime jobs; union, govt, or otherwise are a thing of the past.

"I've changed jobs mostly when I've reached a position of being at the top of the measuring system used by the company/industry.
I learn most of what there is to know then move on to something else."

That's what I've done too with some of my jobs. I reach the top of my job position and there is no room for financial/position growth then i move on. I just cant see someone sitting in one place at one job for 50 plus years. There's a nice older lady at work that has a wall full of plaques for her 50+yrs of service to this one company. But when i reach that age I'd like to have more to show for it than that. I seem to see a difference in thought between the older generations and younger. The elders seem to want to stay in one company and they are ok with the minimal pay increase each year, if the company offers that. Then i see the younger age sets that agree that you have to move on every few years to get more pay at a new company. Does anybody else see that too?

"Lifetime jobs with one employer are something only our fathers had.

Simply STAYING employed is today's reality. "

Aint that the truth!!! I've been laid off, fired, and blessed with jobs during the most tumoltuous economic times these last few years. It's sometimes frustrating. But all we can do is just keep chuggin along, right.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
At 22 I decided I wanted a job that I loved . Hours that I could enjoy a family .. 33 years later I 'm still in the same place... My boss is an *** & won't let me quit...

Old 06-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
who cares. noone respects hard work o work 70 hours a week even when there ya tanymore. farms wnats nothing to do

Old 06-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Frapper
Senior User
Go on welfare, and have a lot of kids. Then you'll get a check every month.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Aha. I knew i wasnt crazy. (lol, well maybe i am, but i was right on the spot on my job observations, according to this new report:

Why You Should Never Stay in the Same Job for More Than Four Years - Monster.com

Old 10-23-2012, 12:18 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
I do know that employers don't look at job changes as they did at the past.

If you're showing a pattern of improvements as you change, they will regard that as a good thing.

I was at the same place for 34 years, but not in the same position. It always involved electronics ( and later electronics and software), which are things that I really like. ( I like automotive too, but I'd starve )

I ended up doing OK, and I even managed to find a loophole to get through the 'degree barrier' that they put up after I'd been there around 15 years.

But, things are changing. The company gave me a good pension, but they've changed that plan. Employees these days get some kind of a self managed plan that they can apparently take with them.

The other thing that's changed is loyalty from the company. When I started, you got the impression that if you worked hard, and generally performed, they'd stick with you when things got tight. When my project blew up, it had changed to a program to help you look for a job in the company -- allowing you a specified amount of time to find something. I've heard that it's a lot less friendly these days.

I don't regret staying with the outfit -- it worked for me, but I don't know if it still works for most.

hj

Quick Reply: Is it normal to have a different job every 2, 3, 4, etc years?.....