Sponsored by: Moser

Please Help Installing My New Side Trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:04 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please Help Installing My New Side Trim

I have cursed Henry Ford and every generation of Fords since for coming up with such a HORRENDOUS design. If anyone knows me even casually they will understand what that means since I haven't cursed in over twenty years. If someone will please give me the logical way to install this upper trim, I would be greatly appreciative. I understand how it works, but either I am not putting it on in the best order, or not starting from the right end of the sheet metal, I don't know. One end will pop off before I can get the other end slid on. I'm just lost. I don't get it, I rebuild an entire truck with a couple of DVDs and wing and a prayer, and I can't put some stupid trim on. Okay, peace now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and I hope all is well.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like when we shot a bunch of paint and it was the wrong color. I feel ya.

I know you feel a little better now too.

I'm sure most of us understand exactly how you feel.

Sorry, I never installed any trim.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 PM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I havent installed any either but I will add that of all the things I have done to my truck, changing radiators, body mount bushings, all new brakes, removal of dash bezel several times for bulbs, wiring and heater control switch, chasing down blinker issues, new sockets grounds etc and lots more,you get the idea, the most cussing I did was on replacing the lower radiator hose. I fought that SOB for several hours. It has a wierd twist in it and when you get it on the pump, you cant get it on the lower rad outlet or vice versa or if you do manage to get in on, it leaks. I think what pissed me off so bad was, it should really be such a simple and easy task lol

Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Thanks guys. I feel a "little" better, but not much. Maybe we should start a thread about the biggest pains our trucks have caused us.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which piece of trim? The QP top is the only PITA....A little masking tape to hold trim and then a small piece of tape to hold the nut in the round end of the wrench....Do the same in a socket with tape for the front fender hole @ the grill.

Is your truck Candy red over silver?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Stinky7-11
Elder User

Originally Posted by kobaltblue
Which piece of trim? The QP top is the only PITA....A little masking tape to hold trim and then a small piece of tape to hold the nut in the round end of the wrench....Do the same in a socket with tape for the front fender hole @ the grill.

Is your truck Candy red over silver?
There's a link in MAULMAUL's sig. you can see that awesome paint job there. you might find an answer there, that's what it looks like.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stinky7-11
There's a link in MAULMAUL's sig. you can see that awesome paint job there. you might find an answer there, that's what it looks like.
Thanks brain fart should of seen it his sig.....That is sweet, I was thinking of doing my big green its Candy Organic green in Candy copper but I love the way that looks!

Since I see its just top trim put the snap clips and some tape (blue) to hold so it doesnt fall, Put some tape on the round end of the wrench and STRETCH!The hardest is above the wheel well...The smaller the wrench the better I use one that looks like a flat z.

Nice job!

Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 PM
Stinky7-11
Elder User

Originally Posted by kobaltblue
Thanks brain fart should of seen it his sig.....That is sweet, I was thinking of doing my big green its Candy Organic green in Candy copper but I love the way that looks!

Since I see its just top trim put the snap clips and some tape (blue) to hold so it doesnt fall, Put some tape on the round end of the wrench and STRETCH!The hardest is above the wheel well...The smaller the wrench the better I use one that looks like a flat z.

Nice job!
Sorry bout the hijack
Did you do candy green over copper?

Old 06-16-2012, 06:12 AM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Originally Posted by MAULMAUL
I rebuild an entire truck ~~~~ and I can't put some stupid trim on.
Been there! We all have at one time or another..... Not that I have experience doing it right, my rubber trim molding is secured with sheetrock screws.... But, Trim installation is one of the hardest things to master I'm sure of that! Advice is forthcoming too. Pop won't mind if you don't install it today.

Do you have the '77 factory manual? It doesn't go into any description of "how to" but does have pics of the pieces and positions. Here is a page from that. I can upload the others if needed. Take care!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Trim 1.pdf (783.1 KB, 468 views)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 AM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
molding

To tie into this subject,Are ther any special tools for instaling those rivets?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 AM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Thanks everyone for the input. To clarify, it is the anodized trim with the rubber already attached that is giving me the fits. I already have the clips in place, it is just that when I try to slide the trim down the edge of the sheet metal onto the clips, it pops off before I get it completely to the end. You have to raise the end when you come to each clip just a little and that has been enough to pop off the trim from the preceding clip. I don't know if I'm explaining it very well, but I just hoped maybe someone could tell me which piece to start with or which end of the sheet metal to start sliding it from because it apparently makes a difference. I'm strongly considering letting a body shop take care of it because I've already put several scratches in the paint from the sharp edges on the trim. It is almost unavoidable. It is behind the trim and no one will see it, but it sure does make me worry about screwing up somewhere that will be visible. Maybe Grog the Barbarian will go back to nuts and bolts and let a professional handle this.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:38 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like a PITA. I wish I had some advise for you but I will be doing the same thing in a few weeks. Did you have to replace all of your clips?

Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Stinky7-11
Elder User

No help but endless faith in you ability. Really a build to be proud of! Think of the trim as your Dad sending you a small challange. Couldn't have happened on a better weeekend, Dad would be proud my friend!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:26 AM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
No help but endless faith in you ability. Really a build to be proud of! Think of the trim as your Dad sending you a small challange. Couldn't have happened on a better weeekend, Dad would be proud my friend!
Thank you so much for reminding me that it's the journey and not the destination, and yes, it wouldn't be the same if Dad ever worked on anything and didn't have a word or two of "encouragement" for the part in question. Good memories and better laughs. I just drove up the street to Dennis Carpenter's with my five year old to pick up some door handle bushings and the lady at the counter recommended a fellow that worked there to install the trim for me. I'm not proud and I know my limitations and lack of experience so rather than mess something up, I'll let someone do it right the first time.

Steve, I got the new trim kit from Carpenter's and it came with all new fasteners and clips. If you need anything in the small parts category, let me know. If I don't have it, I might be able to at least save you some shipping cost by using USPS.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Sorry bout the hijack
Did you do candy green over copper?
Temporary

Yep its like the color of a new copper penny with metallic flake with 5-7 coats of candy green over the top it looks amazing like a big jolly rancher, But its time for new paint, Looking for a new color,Maybe.

Sorry back to your regular scheduled tread.

Quick Reply: Please Help Installing My New Side Trim